Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
DaveHanson
0 Kudos

How to download entire library to nook?

I have a 150 item digital library.  When I unregistered and reregistered my nook, I discovered that all the books I'd previously downloaded were erased (which is OK, but which I did not know, and might have been made more explicit)

It's extremely tedious and time consuming to download each book one at a time via wifi.  I understand I can sideload via USB, but even then my understanding is that I'd have to load up each book one at a time.

What's the best way to do this in "batch mode", or otherwise speed up the process?

Falling that, what tips and tricks have you guys come up with?

Many thanks in advance!

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: How to download entire library to nook?

If I have a lot of books to download at one time. I plug the nook into the PC when i plan to use the PC for a period of time,

I eject the nook so it is still in charge mode and will periodically press check for new content.

That should download at least 5 books at a time, i have seen it download quite a few more than 5 at a time though. ie. I have my nook plugged into my computer right now for charging and it appears to be periodically checking for new content on its own.

I haven't tried it with 150 books but will soon because i want to change my default credit card. Curses to all those free B&N Classics. :smileytongue:

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

To have items from your B&N Library stay there, you would need to do the one-at-a-time download, as far as i know.

Silly question—by any chance had you saved that folder and its content as a back-up to, say, your computer. I do this for a variety of reasons myself, but I've never had to try restoring anything using them (knock on wood).

If you have saved it elsewhere, it might be possible to drag & drop it on the nook drive and have it work like it always did. Like I said, haven't tried it so it might not work at all.

You can sideload in bulk, it's just a simple multi-select before you drag & drop. But any content you do that way has to go in the my docuements folders, with the limitations that go along with that.

New User
kappasoccer327
0 Kudos

Do you happen to know how to transfer all the content from my "ebook library" online to my actual nook?

I've tried downloading it and loading it separately onto my nook, but that hasn't worked. I've purchased ebooks online, I just don't know how to get my nook to sync from my online stuff so that the same information reflects onto my nook.

Does that make any sense? Please help! :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Do you have a Wi-Fi connection?  Is your NOOK registered?  Does it display the title and author information?  Is this a new NOOK, or has it recently stopped synching? 

Contributor
tbeltrans
0 Kudos

This won't help you now, but for the future...

Copy the books from your nook to your computer, and then you can "sideload" them next time you would otherwise need to download them.  I tried this and it does work - the "MyLibrary" will recognize them properly.  I back my books up periodically to CDs now.  If I download any of my purchased books from the BN web site onto my PC and then directly "sideload" those, the nook won't recognize them because the book title is part of the file name.  I read in one of these nook forums that if you rename the file with just the number (removing the title portion), then the nook will recognize.  To me, while that is a solution, it is still quite tedious when you have a couple hundred books as I now do.

So, for right now, I think you have two choices:

1. Download the books individually directly to your nook.

2. Download the books individually to your computer and then rename them.  I would download ONE book and try it to make sure that really works before committing to the whole batch.

Regards,

Tony

Reader 4
kim65gt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just downloaded an ebook to my pc through the BN website but can't figure out how to get it to my nook.   Sorry for being so techno-challenged. :smileysad:

I think I have purchased ebooks before using my pc and they went directly to my nook.  That's what I get for not downloading it using my nook instead.

NEVER MIND.....THE BOOK JUST POPPED UP ON MY NOOK!  GUESS I JUST NEED TO LEARN TO BE PATIENT.  :smileytongue:

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

tbeltrans wrote:

This won't help you now, but for the future...

Copy the books from your nook to your computer, and then you can "sideload" them next time you would otherwise need to download them.  I tried this and it does work - the "MyLibrary" will recognize them properly.  I back my books up periodically to CDs now.  If I download any of my purchased books from the BN web site onto my PC and then directly "sideload" those, the nook won't recognize them because the book title is part of the file name.  I read in one of these nook forums that if you rename the file with just the number (removing the title portion), then the nook will recognize.  To me, while that is a solution, it is still quite tedious when you have a couple hundred books as I now do.

So, for right now, I think you have two choices:

1. Download the books individually directly to your nook.

2. Download the books individually to your computer and then rename them.  I would download ONE book and try it to make sure that really works before committing to the whole batch.

Regards,

Tony

Install Nook for PC. In the Settings\Account Settings tab, put a checkmark in "Automatically download recent purchases?" 

Every book in your B&N library will be downloaded that hasn't already been downloaded to Nook for PC and hasn't been archived.

Nook for PC downloads show up in Documents\My Barnes & Noble eBooks folder on your PC.

The names of the files will have the format Title_ISBN number.epub. i.e. odysseybarnesnoblecl_9781411432833.epub = Odyssey (Barnes and Noble Classic Series). If you download directly to your Nook the files are named ISBN.epub or 9781411432833.epub.

If you sideload using Nook for PC and have ADE installed, they are copied to the Nooks Digital Editions folder and show up in the Nook's My Documents listing. I haven't bothered to see where they go if ADE is not installed.

Personally I just drag them all into Calibre which stores another copy in the Username\Calibre Library folder on your PC. I use Calibre to sort and organize my eBooks. I also use Calibre to sideload 5-6 eBooks I am interested in reading and replace those with another 5-6 when I am done.

Contributor
DaveHanson
0 Kudos

Contributor
DaveHanson
0 Kudos

It appears my last reply's text didn't take...sorry about that.

Thanks to all for the useful replies!  Much appreciated.  To answer the questions:

I do have a wifi connection.

Nook is registered, to the same email/account it was before.

Does display title/author

Mine isn't a new nook, purchased in July, never stopped working before this,

RHWright, apologies if I missed this in a FAQ, but could you point me to some info about what's missing when bn ebooks are sideloaded into the "my documents" folder?  TIA.

I wonder if there's a reason bn couldn't update nook's firmware to allow a "download everything in the account" function? Doesn't seem like it would be hard to add...

In any case, I'm gathering that for now, there's no simple way to get one's digital library synced with a nook...?

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

DaveHanson wrote:

RHWright, apologies if I missed this in a FAQ, but could you point me to some info about what's missing when bn ebooks are sideloaded into the "my documents" folder?  TIA.

In short, anything sideloaded only has the functionality that is programmed into the My Documents interface, whether it came from B&N or not.

Some of the things My Documents still doesn't do that My B&N Library will:

1) Cover flow (a.k.a. "Show Covers")

2) Archive items

3) Filter by type of content eBooks/Magazines/Newspapers

Otherwise the content itself won't have anything missing.

The only time I had to sideload B&N content was when I was having issues directly downloading an issue of the New Yorker, and it was fine. The only glitch was it didn't seem to have the right author tag, but that probably was a one-off issue.

Otherwise, I haven't tried any side-by-side tests with eBooks. The content and even things like embedded hyperlinks should all work, you just won't have some of the bells & whistles (such as they are) that you do for browsing and managing items that you do in the B&N Library.

Hope this helps.

Contributor
DaveHanson
0 Kudos

Thanks for repling RHWright.

As you suggest, it's less than obvious what options come with the My Documents versus My library options, just as it's less than clear how the nook gets synced.

Mods, if you'd pass along this feedback to the programming/design team, i'm sure we'd all be grateful!

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Please note that My Documents doesn't have a Search capability, either.  If you only have a few pages of books, this may not matter, but as you acquire more it takes much longer to find your book.

New User
marilynmae
0 Kudos

I had a Sony reader .  I bought about 25 books.  Do you know how to download them to a color nook.. Helpppppppp

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

marilynmae wrote:

I had a Sony reader .  I bought about 25 books.  Do you know how to download them to a color nook.. Helpppppppp

You have to use Adobe Digital Editions.  See the thread in this forum about using ADE.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 309 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: