Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
RubyNuby01
0 Kudos

How to hack Nook to back up Notes/Highlights and download them?

I just found out that  Notes and Highlights that I create while reading are not backed up on my computer or on BN?  There is absolutely no way of backing up notes and highlights according to BN Help Chat Line.  

One of the MAJOR reasons that I bought the Nook was to create notes and highlights that I thought I could have access to forever. I would like to be able to download my notes and highlights so that I can edit them and import them into Word(etc) so that I can use the notes for creating papers about what I am reading as I do research.  

Does anyone know of hacks or the best forums that discuss hacking the Nook.  At this point, it is not a device that I want to use anymore unless I can have this functionality.  

Thanks so much,

Malcolm

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: How to hack Nook to back up Notes/Highlights and download them?

RubyNuby01 wrote:

I just found out that  Notes and Highlights that I create while reading are not backed up on my computer or on BN?  There is absolutely no way of backing up notes and highlights according to BN Help Chat Line.  

One of the MAJOR reasons that I bought the Nook was to create notes and highlights that I thought I could have access to forever. I would like to be able to download my notes and highlights so that I can edit them and import them into Word(etc) so that I can use the notes for creating papers about what I am reading as I do research.  

Does anyone know of hacks or the best forums that discuss hacking the Nook.  At this point, it is not a device that I want to use anymore unless I can have this functionality.  

Thanks so much,

Malcolm

Unfortunately NOOK does not support that functionality, nor has B&N ever said that they would.

If this is functionality that you really must have then you might be better off with a kindle which I believe (but not sure) does due it.

I have not heard of anyone who has hacked the NOOK to allow backing up of notes.

One good site about hacking of the NOOK is http://www.nookdevs.com

THere you will be able to find lots of information, instructions, etc on rooting/hacking your NOOK.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: How to hack Nook to back up Notes/Highlights and download them?

LarryOnLI wrote:

RubyNuby01 wrote:

Thanks so much,

Malcolm

Unfortunately NOOK does not support that functionality, nor has B&N ever said that they would.

If this is functionality that you really must have then you might be better off with a kindle which I believe (but not sure) does due it.

I have not heard of anyone who has hacked the NOOK to allow backing up of notes.

One good site about hacking of the NOOK is http://www.nookdevs.com

THere you will be able to find lots of information, instructions, etc on rooting/hacking your NOOK.

B&N did actually claim to have this functionality when the N1E was first released, then said they would provide it in a future update, which they never did.  :smileysad:

Kindle DOES allow you to do this, so for the OP it might be a better option.  But don't take my word for it - do the proper research to make sure it works the way you want it to.  There's a lot of information out there (and on this forum) about the nook notes and highlights functionality, I would imagine it's the same for the kindle.  I suggest checking out the kindle forums as a good source of info.

Contributor
ChristopherWood
0 Kudos

Yes, Kindle notes etc. are easily downloadable.

I own a Kindle-3 and a Nook-Touch, and this is one area where the Kindle beats the Nook hands down. Notes and highlights are stored in a file on the Kindle in an area that you can access easily from a PC when you plugin the Kindle into a USB port. It's dead simple.

NOOK developers -- PLEASE add this function! Amazon is a kick yo ass on it, man. Catch up!

Contributor
Treestryder
0 Kudos

Re: Yes, Kindle notes etc. are easily downloadable.

I have added a bunch of notes to a book, not realizing they would be stranded there.

I'd like to add my "Me Too" to the plea "NOOK developers -- PLEASE add this function!".

Beautiful hardware, ePub and PDF... almost perfect... just a couple little tweaks remaining. =)

Inspired Contributor
Naosnote
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Me too! I also think the notes shoudl always stick no matter what - even if you are sharing your book via lendable books or via sideloading.

Contributor
Treestryder
0 Kudos

Agreed.

I would love to see an easily parsable text (space separated, tab separated, comma separated, XML, maybe like SMTP, etc) file, named the same as the book's file name, located in an accessable location. It (or separate files if need be) should contain the bookmarks, highlights and notes.

When I get done with the current book I'm reading, I have a huge list of OCR errors, that I found, to share with the author. It sure would have been nice to just paste the contents of such a file into an email.

Distinguished Correspondent
LastSilmaril
0 Kudos

I think you're referring to the new nook? 

All of the data you're referring to is in /data/data/com.bn.nook.reader.activities/databases/*.db. You can convert it yourself there with sqlite3. This is, of course, not a solution,but might prove interesting to some ppl. 

Contributor
Treestryder
0 Kudos

Would I be correct in thinking one would have to root their NST to get access to /data?

Contributor
Treestryder
0 Kudos

Oh and yes... I see now... I found this thread and originally thought it was beneath the Nook Simple Touch branch of the forums.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 23 members 179 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: