Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Analog
0 Kudos

How to remove the Nook's back cover to access battery and micro sd [VIDEO]

[ Edited ]

Couldn't find any videos to show how to do this. Yes, it's super easy, but for me, it would have been nice to see it done. Would have made figuring it out faster.

So, if anyone has questions about this, you can direct them to this YouTube video I made. :smileywink:

How to remove the Barnes & Noble Nook's back cover to access the battery and micro sd slot.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Re: How to remove the Nook's back cover to access battery and micro sd [VIDEO]

What was wrong with the official video?:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195

Its right there on the nook Support and Faq page

Reader 2
MomMomSmith
0 Kudos

I just went to You Tube and the video has been removed.  Dang!

Reader 2
MomMomSmith
0 Kudos

I tried to follow the Nook official video of taking off the back, but the back on mine does not want to come off.  Any other thoughts - I'm afraid of snapping it and it breaking.

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

Videotape yourself removing it.

If you've followed instructions and it breaks, play the video at the store and demand a replacement.

Maybe next time they will design something that isn't quite so challenging to remove.

With my phone, you place pressure at the bottom corner and slide. Bingo. Cover slips off. This crack-it-open technique with the Nook is unsettling at best.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MomMomSmith wrote:

I tried to follow the Nook official video of taking off the back, but the back on mine does not want to come off.  Any other thoughts - I'm afraid of snapping it and it breaking.

Use the tab at the bottom.  Pull it back just a tad, and get a fingernail or small bladed screw driver in (insert no more than a 16th of an inch) and slide finger nail or screwdriver toward the corners.

You WILL hear popping sounds.  NORMAL.  Not to worry.

Its very simple to remove once you realize it was DESIGNED to be removed and might be just a little stiff the first time.  

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

New User
pmh-usa
0 Kudos

Sorry, but the link you give us is a link to the page not a particular video - can't anyone post something that works here?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

You can't (officially) remove the back cover of NOOK Simple Touch (N2E) or  NOOK Color.

To see instructions for removing back cover of N1E:

• Click on the link Michael-V posted above.
  • Click on the tab titled "NOOK 1st Edition."
  • One of the videos on that page is titled "Replacing your NOOK's back cover and battery."  
  • Click on that.

When Michael posted that, last October, there was only one NOOK so it pointed to the correct page.

New User
AltheaH
0 Kudos

But that tutorial has nothing in it about removing the back, isnt that for setting up the nook?,.....misleading :smileysad:. I used my Nook simple touch for one day and now it is frozen, and has been for the past 15 hours.....I am quite annoyed because i am travelling and cannot exchange it....ugh!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

AltheaH wrote:

But that tutorial has nothing in it about removing the back, isnt that for setting up the nook?,.....misleading :smileysad:. I used my Nook simple touch for one day and now it is frozen, and has been for the past 15 hours.....I am quite annoyed because i am travelling and cannot exchange it....ugh!

Did you read my comments immediately preceeding yours?  There is a tutorial for removing the back of the N1E, but you now have to make a few clicks after Michael-V's link to get to it because it has been moved with the advent of newer devices.

Regardlless, you clearly state that you have a NOOK Simple Touch.  The instructions above only pertain to the NOOK (the original, the white plastic, eink with LCD screen, device); no other B&N NOOK device has a customer-removable back.

Try plugging it into the wall charger; since eink displays require no battery to display an image, only change it, sometimes a non-responsive screen is caused by a battery too low to force the display to change.  

Also, some have found that their N2E's become non-responsive if there is debris (dog hair, fluff, dust) on the screen - the screen truly isn't a "touch" screen, but a screen bordered by infrared sensors; breaking the plane of the IR will cause the screen to change.  Any debris - even miniscule - can interfere with their functioning.

New User
ws2600
0 Kudos

Correct. The Nook STR does not have a customer removable battery.  If you do manage to remove the back cover you will find that there is a wire going from the back cover to the front and a hex screw under the power button.  To remove the hex screw you have to also remove the "warranty void if removed" sticker on top of the hex screw. I didn't remove the screw but from what I see inside there. the battery might be on the back cover and you might have problems trying to find it to remove it.

New User
biloiu
0 Kudos

I opened the back cover and it contains the battery and even you unplugged it, the screensaver is on !!! Maybe there is another battery only for this. It is not worthy to open it up because you can't do anything there and unfotunatelly I wasn't able to closed it up very firmly so it looks strange right now. I wasn't able to open the screw so I cut it around - don't do this at home :smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
robertVA

While the Nook Color and Nook Tablet have displays that go blank when the devices are powered down and/or the battery is completely discharged, the First Edition and Simple Touch models use a much different display technology that only requires electrical energy to change what's on the display. If an unexpected lack of power occurs, as would happen with complete depletion of the battery's charge (or removal of the First Edition's battery) anything on the display contents could theoretically remain clear and distinct for decades (possibly centuries). The First Edition will replace the standby mode's "screen saver" graphic with a message indicating the reader has automatically shut down if it calculates that the battery charge is low or the reader hasn't been used in a couple of days. The Simple Touch model might have similar provisions.

When removing or cutting a label is necessary to access the inside of an electrical or electronic device there's a significant probability you're voiding any applicable warranty (manufacturer's or extended) and are taking a risk that you won't be able to reassemble the device or getting it working again..

New User
Kick
0 Kudos

why did you take the video off

New User
Idle_Executive
0 Kudos

With the original Nook, this is most emphatically NOT designed to be removed, the on/off switch is intergrated with the back cover and tearing it off would break it.  This is a pathetically bad design and I wish I had never bought it... keeps freezing all the time.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18

Idle_Executive wrote:

With the original Nook, this is most emphatically NOT designed to be removed, the on/off switch is intergrated with the back cover and tearing it off would break it.  This is a pathetically bad design and I wish I had never bought it... keeps freezing all the time.

Since the User Guide for the Nook 1st Edition explicitly describes how to remove and replace the back cover, what you said is simply not true.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Idle_Executive wrote:

The on off switch in the original Nook is on the top of the device, not the back cover. 

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

If you have a Nook Simple Touch (or glow) you might try cleaning around the edge of the screen. Sometimes fuzz can cause the device to freeze up.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 23 members 423 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: