Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
NYR16_24_30
0 Kudos

Re: I Can't Read My eBooks!!! :'(

I copied the file directly to a disk and again it wasn't the size it was supposed to be. I tried to put the file onto the nook anyway but... of course no luck. It was an invalid update again. :smileyindifferent:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@NYR16_24_30,

Try these steps to get NOOK fully functioning again if an error message reading  “invalid update” appears during or immediately after trying to update your NOOK with the latest software update:

1. Check your computer to verify that the NOOK software update file that you just downloaded from BN.COM and saved on your computer is named  “signed_bravo_update.dat”. This name must match exactly. Please make sure that the file name has not been modified in any way and that Windows did not automatically add a “(1)” or “(2)” or some other extension or modification to the file name.
  2. Verify that the file is the correct memory size for the current V 1.4 software update, which should be 62.6MB. If the file size is anything else, you  should delete the file and download it again from BN.COM.
  3. Tap Settings on NOOK's Home menu and make sure NOOK's battery charge is at 20% or more.
  4. Connect NOOK to a computer using the USB cable that came with NOOK. A new, removable NOOK drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). A"USB Mode" image will also be visible on the NOOK screen.
  5. Double click on the NOOK drive that appears in My Computer or on the desktop and make sure there are is no file named signed_bravo_update.dat currently on the device.  If so, delete it.
  6. Drag and drop the downloaded file from your computer onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. Do not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to an existing folder.
  7. After the file has finished fully copying to their NOOK, make sure the customer is un-mounting properly by right clicking on the NOOK drive in My Computer and selecting Eject.
  8. NOOK will recognize the file and proceed to install the update automatically.
  9. DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR NOOK during the installation process.
  10. Once installation is complete, NOOK will automatically shut-down, restart and go to the Home screen. You may also notice that the EInk display flashes a couple of times during the installation and restart; this is normal. Once on the Home screen, the installation is done. You should tap the Home icon, tap Settings and verify the software version number on the Settings screen.
  11. If a device reverts to version 1.2 or an earlier version software even after a successful update, please verify the steps above and repeat the process. If the second update is not successful, please call NOOK Store Support.
Contributor
NYR16_24_30
0 Kudos

Michael,

This is part of the problem though. Whenever I download the software update, the file is never the right size. When I tried downloading it to a disc it still didn't work - the file was still too small.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Your best bet is to 

1. Clear your browser Cache.
  2. Try a different browser.

By adding a question mark to the end of the link you can force the browser to ignore any cached copies or partial copies as show below:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/presources/download/nook/v1.4.0/signed_bravo_update.dat?

Remember: DON'T click on that link, Right Click it (right mouse button) and select SAVE AS.

(Mac users Control Click).

Contributor
NYR16_24_30
0 Kudos

So I updated my nook with the latest software update, and it looked like it worked at first. The bar on the touchscreen came up and said it was completing a software update, but when the nook turned back on, it said invalid update. Also there were two windows that popped up on my computer screen. One said that the operation could not be completed because I did not have sufficient privileges for some of the items. The other said I disconnected the device wrong last time, and that I might have lost some of the items on my device, but I'm pretty sure I disconnected in it correctly last time. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 179 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: