Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
NYR16_24_30
0 Kudos

I Can't Read My eBooks!!! :'(

I have had a nook for a few months now and have never had an issue like the one i am having. Over the weekend, I purchased Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins on my nook. The transaction went through. However, when I went to read the book a few hours later, I couldn't. The book was in my library, but when I selected it, only the overview appeared, and I could not read the book. Under the overview were the options to download the book or to lend it. When i tried to download the book it said the operation could not be completed and to contact customer service if the problem persisted. I did customer service, who eventually told me to unregister my nook, then to re-register it. I followed these instructions, but nothing changed, and I still could not read my eBook. Later, I tried to download a free eBook but the same thing occured. I checked on my Barnes and Noble account online to try to download the two eBooks to my laptop, but a window popped up, saying something about my credit card being invalid? I actually use a debit card and when I checked the balance of my debit card, it was $17. For safe measures, I changed it to a different card, but I still could not read those 2 eBooks OR download them to my laptop.....HELP!!!!!!!!!! :smileyindifferent:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: I Can't Read My eBooks!!! :'(

@NYR16_24_30,

There is some kind of issue with the credit card in the account.

Unregistering your NOOK, then removing and re-adding the cc (as long as it is a valid cc) then re-registering your NOOK should fix the problem.  Also make sure that you have a default billing address saved.

*Note:  Make sure that there are no special characters in your password.

If all else fails, backup your sideloaded content then reset to factory settings following these instructions below:

Factory Fallback and Side Loading Software Updates Instructions

Factory Reset (not fallback) will bring it back to original conditions of purchase.  Settings are lost only.

Fallback

3G goes to 1.0

Wifi goes to 1.4

**Factory Fallbacks should be done as an absolute last resort, only if all other troubleshooting efforts fail to return device to a nominal condition.

To perform a Factory fallback:

1)    Power off nook 6 consecutive times for twenty- seconds.

2)    Each successful power-off cycle will result in the E-Ink screen to flash Black            approximately 6 seconds into 20 second cycle.

3)   After all 6 cycles are complete, power on nook.

4)   Upon power up you will see “Installing Software Update.” On the E-Ink Display

5)   A progress bar will be displayed on the LCD; progress will read as follows:

Mounting Partitions

Restoring Factory Fallback

Verifying Update…etc At this point your Nook hard drive will re-format (all resident data will be lost) this process will take 3 minutes.

Side Loading Software Update

1)      To Side load software updates, download update from B&N.com under the nook tab.

2)      Go to the FAQ and Support Tab and click the “available here,” link.

3)      Download the file to your desktop, ensure the file name is exactly “signed_bravo_update.dat”

4)       If not already connected, connect nook via USB to PC

5)      Open My Computer and drag update file “signed_bravo_update.dat” to the nook drive.

6)      Eject the nook by right-clicking nook drive and clicking Eject (disconnect Nook from USB)

7)      Ensure nook is powered off then power on nook… on the lower right hand corner of the E-Ink display a update progress percentage will countdown indicating your update is working.

8)      If applicable register your nook with appropriate information.

Contributor
NYR16_24_30
0 Kudos

Michael V, 

I tried your first suggestion, and of course it did not work. So I powered off my nook 6 consecutive times for 20 seconds, but when i powered on nook after the 6th cycle, nothing said "Installing Software Update", and no progress bar appeared.

Would you possibly have any other suggestions?

Wordsmith
Michael-V

You would have to sideload your software update...

Side Loading Software Update

1)      To Side load software updates, download update from B&N.com under the nook tab.

2)      Go to the FAQ and Support Tab and click the “available here,” link.

3)      Download the file to your desktop, ensure the file name is exactly “signed_bravo_update.dat”

4)       If not already connected, connect nook via USB to PC

5)      Open My Computer and drag update file “signed_bravo_update.dat” to the nook drive.

6)      Eject the nook by right-clicking nook drive and clicking Eject (disconnect Nook from USB)

7)      Ensure nook is powered off then power on nook… on the lower right hand corner of the E-Ink display a update progress percentage will countdown indicating your update is working.

8)      If applicable register your nook with appropriate information.

Contributor
NYR16_24_30
0 Kudos

Michael V,

I did everything you said, but after i ejected my nook from the USB, a window appeared in the lower right hand corner saying invalid update. I tried again and the same thing happened. I have a Mac, but that shouldn't make any difference should it? What am I doing wrong??? :smileysad:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

NYR16_24_30 wrote:

Michael V,

I did everything you said, but after i ejected my nook from the USB, a window appeared in the lower right hand corner saying invalid update. I tried again and the same thing happened. I have a Mac, but that shouldn't make any difference should it? What am I doing wrong??? :smileysad:

I don't have a Mac but I remember reading something here about the update being renamed with a 2 or something like that if the previous update is still on the Nook.  You might try and connect the Nook, look at the root drive on the Nook and see if there are two of the update files, signed_bravo_update.dat, one with a 2 or something like that after it.   If so, I think you need to delete both of them and then copy the current update to the Nook.  Sorry I can't be more specific but I only remember vaguely what was said.  Perhaps someone else will see this who has more information.  Try looking at this post. http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Nook-Up-Date/m-p/617579/highlight/true#M...

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

I  don't have a Mac but I remember reading something here about the update being renamed with a 2 or something like that if the previous update is still on the Nook.   

Actually that's not JUST a mac problem, and it has to do with the update being downloaded to the computer, not so much when it is downloaded onto the nook.  Thats then the 2 or whatever, gets appended.

Any update gets deleted from the nook, so you wouldn't have one there.

But there was a problem with Mac owners trying to OPEN the update file instead of simply saving it to their computer, or trying to download and store it directly on the nook rather than first staging it to their computer.

The Invalid update sounds like a corrupted download.  NYR16_24_30 should try another download and be very careful to save it to disk, making sure there is no other similarly named file in that directory when doing so.  (that prevents the numbers).

Also, Downloading 1.4 onto a very later model nook that came with 1.4.1 will give the same error message.  

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@NYR16_24_30,

Try these steps to get NOOK fully functioning again if an error message reading  “invalid update” appears during or immediately after trying to update your NOOK with the latest software update:

1. Check your computer to verify that the NOOK software update file that you just downloaded from BN.COM and saved on your computer is named  “signed_bravo_update.dat”. This name must match exactly. Please make sure that the file name has not been modified in any way and that Windows did not automatically add a “(1)” or “(2)” or some other extension or modification to the file name.
  2. Verify that the file is the correct memory size for the current V 1.4 software update, which should be 62.6MB. If the file size is anything else, you  should delete the file and download it again from BN.COM.
  3. Tap Settings on NOOK's Home menu and make sure NOOK's battery charge is at 20% or more.
  4. Connect NOOK to a computer using the USB cable that came with NOOK. A new, removable NOOK drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). A"USB Mode" image will also be visible on the NOOK screen.
  5. Double click on the NOOK drive that appears in My Computer or on the desktop and make sure there are is no file named signed_bravo_update.dat currently on the device.  If so, delete it.
  6. Drag and drop the downloaded file from your computer onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. Do not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to an existing folder.
  7. After the file has finished fully copying to their NOOK, make sure the customer is un-mounting properly by right clicking on the NOOK drive in My Computer and selecting Eject.
  8. NOOK will recognize the file and proceed to install the update automatically.
  9. DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR NOOK during the installation process.
  10. Once installation is complete, NOOK will automatically shut-down, restart and go to the Home screen. You may also notice that the EInk display flashes a couple of times during the installation and restart; this is normal. Once on the Home screen, the installation is done. You should tap the Home icon, tap Settings and verify the software version number on the Settings screen.

If a device reverts to version 1.2 or an earlier version software even after a successful update, please verify the steps above and repeat the process.

Contributor
NYR16_24_30
0 Kudos

Michael V,

I downloaded and re-downloaded the software update about 10 times and it always comes up as 61.2 MB. I know you said it was supposed to be 62.2 MB, but I decided to try it anyway and it still said invalid update on my nook. I'm not sure why, but when I open the folders on my nook drive, (B&N downloads, documents, etc.), they are empty. Is it possible there is something wrong with my computer?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Clear your cache.

Try a different browser.

Be sure you do a SAVE, and not an OPEN when downloading. (right mouse button click the link)

Wordsmith
Michael-V

...and Check your computer to verify that the NOOK software update file that you just downloaded from BN.COM and saved on your computer is named  “signed_bravo_update.dat”.

This name must match exactly.

Please make sure that the file name has not been modified in any way and that Windows did not automatically add a “(1)” or “(2)” or some other extension or modification to the file name.

Contributor
NYR16_24_30
0 Kudos

Sorry to be such a pain, but it's still not working...I tried downloading the update on 3 different browsers, (I cleared the cache on each of them), and the download wasn't the size it was supposed to be on any of them! They were all named correctly and I did not open them. I first downloaded the update on Safari and the size was 61.2. Then I downloaded it on AOL Desktop and the size was 61.0. Then I downloaded it on just regular AOL and the size was 60.9. Maybe I need to make updates on my computer or something??? :smileyindifferent:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Do you have a thumbdrive or a friend with one who can download the file for you or download in the library or at work and save it on the thumbdrive?
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

If you are on a desktop computer, click on Start, then choose Search.

Do a search for the following on your C drive:

signed_bravo_update

When your search results finish, delete any and all signed_bravo_update results that show up on you computer. 

Then do a reboot of your computer and try to sideload again.

Contributor
NYR16_24_30
0 Kudos

You're gonna have to dumb it down for me here, I have no idea what a thumbdrive is... =\

Contributor
NYR16_24_30
0 Kudos

Michael,

Sorry, but unfortunately i'm on a laptop. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

NYR16_24_30 wrote:

Michael,

Sorry, but unfortunately i'm on a laptop. 

I thumbdrive is also called a Flash drive.  It's a small device you plug into a USB port and copy files to it.

Same steps regardless of whether it's a laptop or a desktop.  Just needs to be a PC, not a Mac.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

NYR16_24_30 wrote:

You're gonna have to dumb it down for me here, I have no idea what a thumbdrive is... =\

But you do have a computer, and your computer has google.  And google knows everything.

Contributor
NYR16_24_30
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

:smileysad: i have a mac. and i don't know anyone with a thumbdrive. could i copy the files to a disc??

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Yes.

"Disk storage, a general category of data storage mechanisms."

A thumb drive is just another type of disk drive, in this case one that plugs into a USB port of your computere.

A hard drive is another type of disk storage.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 295 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: