Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
penAngie
0 Kudos

I am having trouble with formatting -Help me please!!!

I am having trouble with the format on any book I download from anywhere other than B&N. Can someone explain what I should be doing? and what is going on with the network that we can't connect? Thank you ahead of time.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: I am having trouble with formatting -Help me please!!!

You need to provide more information. What formats and what network? 

Contributor
penAngie
0 Kudos

What I'd like to do is get books from other web sites. I know how to download and move the book to my Nook, but sometimes the sentences are so broken that you can't read it. Is there a way for me to reformat to fit Nook?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

You are still not giving enough information.  pdf files do not always format well.  Your nook reads particular formats, and you can use a program like Calibre to format to a nook format if the file is not protected by DRM. 

Contributor
penAngie
0 Kudos

I cannot explain it any better. I am very new to this. You did answer my though. I need calibre to format to nook. Could you explain how to use this program? Thank you

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Calibre may not be able to help you.

First off, what format is the ebooks you are reading in? epub? pdf? something else?

Calibre can be used to try to change from one format to another, but it will not reformat the contents of a book.

For something like that, you would need to use something like Sigil - presuming that these are epub files that do not contain DRM.

The line breaks and such are from the way that the ebook was created (i.e. whatever conversion process was used inserted line breaks into the code). An epub is a essentially nothing more than one or more html files in a zip file - but using a specific organization and some specific files to setup/create that organization.

Sigil looks a bit like a text editor or like a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) html editor (which is essentially what it is). Basically, you would have to go through each html page in the epub and manually remove the unwanted line breaks.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

penAngie wrote:

What I'd like to do is get books from other web sites. I know how to download and move the book to my Nook, but sometimes the sentences are so broken that you can't read it. Is there a way for me to reformat to fit Nook?

It sounds like you're trying to read a PDF on your NOOK. PDF is not an e-book format; it's a page layout format. Text in a PDF is organized into lines which are placed into pages, not in sentences which are combined into paragraphs, scenes, and chapters. There is no clue in an ordinary PDF as to where sentences and paragraphs begin and end; the software has to try to guess at it. The result is rarely pretty.

Converting using software like Calibre doesn't help. Calibre can't tell where the sentences and paragraphs begin and end, either. So it, too, has to guess, and again the result is rarely pretty.

In general, reading a PDF on a small-screen e-reader device is something you do out of desperation. You really want to get your e-books in a format designed for e-books, preferably EPUB.

It is possible to create PDFs that will work reasonably well on a small-screen e-reader, by formatting them for the 90x120cm screen, and by creating them as "tagged" PDFs. Unfortunately, almost all PDFs are formatted for letter/A4 size pages and are untagged.

Contributor
penAngie
0 Kudos

This would be to complicated for me. I will just stick with ordering from B&N and buying off the shelf. Thank you for your help.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

You should also be able to buy from other vendors that sell the epub format.  Not Amazon. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 200 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: