Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
tkacheron
0 Kudos

I am thinking about getting a nook, Help!

[ Edited ]

I want an ereader so bad but I just don't know what to get. My Dad and sister love their kindles but I like the looks of Nook. I really like the idea of ipad because it would be nice to web browse and watch videos. But holy crap are they expensive and they seem to be loaded with problems. I like the touch screen idea & the lend feature available on Nook. And it just looks more comfortable to read for long periods of time. I have read reviews of people that say the Nook loads too slow and the touchscreen can be tricky. I have it checked out in B&N store once and it was fairly slow but the clerk who was doing the demo didn't really seem to know how to operate it. I realize that no is device is perfect and that since ereaders are just now becoming popular there will be plenty of bugs to be worked out in the future.  I would love to hear what you like and don't like about it. Please help.

Contributor
Greyhelm
0 Kudos

Re: I am thinking about getting a nook, Help!

Well, here is a quick run down. 

Similarities:

1) Both are e-ink readers

2) Both hold thousands of books on internal memory

3) Both have the abilitity to download books on 3G or wifi

Differences:

1) Nook you can add a microSD card  to upgrade memory (can't on kindle)

2) can remove and replace battery on Nook (can't on kindle)

3) Lend feature on Noon (not on kindle)

The slowness is actually part of the e-ink.  Most computer displays refresh at 60 htz or higher (roughly 60 times a second or higher).  The e-ink display is not backlit and refreshes at roughly 1 htz (roughly 1 time a second) that is why you get a flash and it takes a second to turn pages.  It is the same on both.  The upside to the tech is that once a page is on screen it doesn't take any more energy to keep it there (that is why battery life is so good on e-readers)

The ipad is ok but it IS NOT A BOOK READER!!!  It is a multimedia device that you can read books on.  It is heavier than an e-book reader which is a pain for long reading sessions.  It is also backlit so it washes out in bright light or sun.  It also costs twice as much.

Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

I researched for a long time before I picked which to buy. I too was torn. I am now a huge nook fan and would gladly buy another. For me the ultimate difference between the devices is you can side-load on the nook and you can borrow books from the local library. If i had to make the decision again, I would still buy a nook even if it cost more its worth it. 

Contributor
Greyhelm
0 Kudos

Yes, amillio, I completely forgot about that.  On the nook you can download books for free from the library. (well, you download them to you computer and then sidload them into the nook but better than the kindle)

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

I'm a Nook owner, so there for may be slightly biased, but I have to say I love my Nook and haven't had any second thoughts. One thing to consider when purchasing an ereader is what you will be using for.  I work the Nook desk at my store and many people ask me why they should consider Nook instead of an iPad.  If you are looking for an ereader that does everything except the dishes and walking the dog, go with an iPad.  If you are looking for strictly for an ereader, follow your instinct and go with the Nook.  It has the B&N ebook library at its back with more than a million titles.  You said family members had the Kindles and seemed to enjoy them, but you like the look of the Nook.  Ereaders are a hands on experience, so go with what feels best.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

tkacheron wrote:

I want an ereader so bad but I just don't know what to get. My Dad and sister love their kindles but I like the looks of Nook. I really like the idea of ipad because it would be nice to web browse and watch videos. But holy crap are they expensive and they seem to be loaded with problems. I like the touch screen idea & the lend feature available on Nook. And it just looks more comfortable to read for long periods of time. I have read reviews of people that say the Nook loads too slow and the touchscreen can be tricky. I have it checked out in B&N store once and it was fairly slow but the clerk who was doing the demo didn't really seem to know how to operate it. I realize that no is device is perfect and that since ereaders are just now becoming popular there will be plenty of bugs to be worked out in the future.  I would love to hear what you like and don't like about it. Please help.

First, scratch the iPad due to cost and especially because of the LCD screen if what you primarily want is an eReader...

Second, do you read the same books as your family members?  If there is a way for you to share (assuming your answer is yes)?

If the answer above about family members and sharing is no, go with the nook the ability to borrow from the library is awesome.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ tkacheron,

As you may realize, if you ask Kindle owners, you'll get raves about the Kindle; if you ask Nook owners, they'll push the Nook.

They're both good products. The Kindle is more established, so it's probably gotten over a lot of the growing pains that Nook is going through, but that is not necessarily a reason to choose one over the other.  

Do a search for kindle v nook, or check out the comparison on B&N's website.  I haven't looked, but I would think Amazon's website would also have the comparison.  Look at the features and decide which one has more of what you are looking for and then go for it.   Unfortunately, none of us can make that decision for you. 

Why I went with the nook - user-replaceable battery, additional storage option (although I haven't taken advantage of it yet), the ability to borrow from online libraries, more options for ebook sources, no alway-there keyboard, and the desire to stick with B&N and Fictionwise.

Contributor
wanderer_not_lost
0 Kudos

Nook, definitely!

As for the iPad...it's great if you don't want much bang for your buck. Wait for HP's Slate to be released on Android OS. Android is why Nook kicks Kindle's butt.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

wanderer_not_lost wrote:

Wait for HP's Slate to be released on Android OS.

That could be a long wait. HP quit talking about the Slate back at the end of April. It has never been advertised as an Android system. The HP Slate was designed to run Windows 7. The rumors were that the performance was lackluster, and that's why HP pulled the plug.

There were other rumors that the HP Slate might reappear sometime with Palm's webOS, since HP was buying Palm at the same time that they quit talking about the Slate. I've never heard any rumors about the Slate using Android.

Some news articles of interest:

Contributor
MarieSH
0 Kudos

I purchased a nook around a month and a half ago. I did a lot of reading reviews & articles before I decided to purchase my nook.  The reasons I decided on the nook rather  than the kindle are

1. User replaceable battery

2. I could drive to Barnes & Noble to purchase rather than order online, which would make returns or exchanges easier.    

3. I liked the way it looked

4. The color touch screen

5. The android operating system

6. The price, & this was BEFORE the price drop.

7.  According to what I read, it seemed like it'd be easier to add non B&N books to the nook that add non Amazon books to the kindle.  Though,  as I have never used a Kindle, I don't know if this is true

8. I read several reviews on Amazon where Kindle owners were upset because some books that had been purchased some time ago were removed from their kindle by Amazon due to issues they were currently experiencing with the involved publisher. I don't know if this is something that could happen with B&N, but I looked  & found nothing

I did end up needing to exchange my nook
2 weeks after purchase I had to exchange it because the page turn button cracked,  this was a known issue when the nook first came out & they had later added reinforcement to the page turn buttons, turns out , I had purchased one of the unreinforced ones.   2 & a half weeks after that, the same page turn button cracked again,  & this time my nook was one of the newer ones with the reinforcement.  Go figure

. I called customer assistance & they said I could just exchange it again.  I'm thinking about it.  I read a lot, several hours a day & more on weekends,  I think it's likely that it will just crack again due to the amount that I use that button & I have found a solution that works for me.  I spent $10 & purchased a black silicon skin, which covers the crack, as this crack doesn't effect the function of the nook, this may be the best solution for me

I love my nook. Even with the page turn button  issue, I have no regrets, except that If I had just waited a month & a half,  I could have saved $60 to $110 as the price has now dropped

Contributor
zzzxtreme
0 Kudos

HP has cancelled the slate

Microsoft has also cancelled their Courier

Asus also cancelled their plans for ebook readers

wanderer_not_lost wrote:

Nook, definitely!

As for the iPad...it's great if you don't want much bang for your buck. Wait for HP's Slate to be released on Android OS. Android is why Nook kicks Kindle's butt.

wanderer_not_lost wrote:

Nook, definitely!

Acer is the only one hasn't cancelled their ebook readers plan

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

Get the Nook. You won't regret it. I debated months between the Kindle and the Nook, but after comparing features, I think the Nook is the more advanced ereader. I'm a Apple fan, and someday will probably get an iPad, but I think reading on the Nook  is a much better experience.  The touchscreen is a breeze to get the hang of. I've had mine for 2 1/2 weeks and love it.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

It's really up to you and your comfort level.  If you want some flexibility, consider the nook.  There is a lot of flexibility with the nook - checking out free library books, buying from other vendors, expanding the storage, the battery, swiping to change pages instead of pushing a button.

The kindle has more flexibility with book organization, I assume.  Hopefully the nook will get there. 

That said, you can still use the nook in a simple way - buying only from B&N, pushing buttons  to change pages, not checking out library books.  You don't have to use all these great options, but they're there if you want to.

I cannot stress how wonderful it is being able to check out from the libraries.  Not everyone has access to one, but I belong to three libraries and live 1 1/2 hours from the closest one.  Not every book I want to read has the e-books I want, but I have checked out many, many books.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Get Nook...It's a drug that is actually good for the mind. Seriously happy Nook owner for more than four months.  :smileyhappy:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Frequent Contributor
Jadescythe
0 Kudos

Nook vs Kindle

I bought the 1st Gen Kindle and received the Nook as a gift.    My thoughts on which is better.

After using the Nook for 3 months - I definitely like the Nook better vs the Kindle that is out now (Kindle 2 & Kindle DX)  The fact that the Kindle no longer has a memory Card slot or replaceable battery is a BIG problem for me.  

I love the WiFi capabilities of the Nook which the Kindle does not have.

As someone previously stated if you and your family read the same books - maybe Kindle would be a better choice for you as you can register more than 1 Kindle per account and can share the books between the devices.  

If you and your family do not read the same books I highly recommend the Nook.  B&N has a better e-book selection than Amazon and it keeps getting better daily (Still a few e-books I'm wanting patiently waiting for them at B&N)  Pricing is better and B&N - Amazon's prices for E-books has changed drastically in the past 6 months.

Battery life while reading on both devices are relatively equal I generally get 14 days out of both the Nook and the Kindle with the Wireless turned off and I usually read for 4 - 6 hours daily.

As far as the IPAD - Reading on it is like reading on a Computer - after a while it starts to bother your eyes - but this is personal preference.

If you are strictly looking for an e-reader only go with a Nook(Recommended) or Kindle :smileyhappy:

New User
markberg
0 Kudos

I am also on the verge of purchasing a nook - one major reason would be the ability to check out books from my library. Assuming we are talking about epub format books, could somebody explain exactly what the process would be? My guess is that I would first have to check them out and download them to my pc, but how do they then get do the nook? Thanks.

New User
markberg
0 Kudos

Whoops. Sorry. Just found a thread on exactly that topic. Never mind.

New User
rpc337
0 Kudos

Like everybody else, I was torn about ereaders.  I talked myself out of the kindle a year or so ago after reading "just enough" negative reviews.  Thank B&N presented the NOOK and after reading and studying AT LENGTH...I bought my NOOK...and LOVE IT.  You can read the other replies for comparisons (or just check out the nook site).  I've convinced 2 other friends to go for the nook and they will forever be in my debt:-)  I haven't looked back.  (Would love an iPad ONLY for the other applications...but you're right...RIDICULOUSLY expensive toy.)

Reader 4
tkacheron
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input everyone. Since I mainly want an ereader I believe I am going to get the Nook. The library option & expandable memory have sold me. I might get the ipad in the future when the next gen comes out but that is because it would be nice to watch videos at the gym on the treadmill and some of the other features would be convienent. Books are my main obssession and I ran out of space for new ones about 5 years ago. I can never seem to take them for trade at a used bookstore, I just know I would want to read  them a month later. I live  near Oklahoma City. Does anyone know of any libraries around  here with a good ebook selection?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ tkacheron,

You can check out overdrive.com and look for libraries in your area.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 226 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: