Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Bookworm8765MC
0 Kudos

Re: I am thinking about getting a nook, Help!

I just got a nook at best buy 2 days ago and i am in love with it! i spent plenty of time looking into ereaders and i went with the nook due to the adjustable storage space and because it looks cooler :smileytongue: i am very happy with my purchase! im a tech savvy a bit so i am paranoid of breaking it :smileytongue: but i am very happy with it...takes about 1-2 seconds for a page turn....the same amount of time to turn a normal page...i would scratch the ipad if i were you due to price and if u are looking for an ereader then you should spend less money for an ereader

by the way i did not know you could get library books on your nook

which library systems allow you to do this?

Here in rainy seattle, good days are days that involve sitting by the window watching the rain fall outside with my nook color!
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Bookworm8765MC wrote:

I just got a nook at best buy 2 days ago and i am in love with it! i spent plenty of time looking into ereaders and i went with the nook due to the adjustable storage space and because it looks cooler :smileytongue: i am very happy with my purchase! im a tech savvy a bit so i am paranoid of breaking it :smileytongue: but i am very happy with it...takes about 1-2 seconds for a page turn....the same amount of time to turn a normal page...i would scratch the ipad if i were you due to price and if u are looking for an ereader then you should spend less money for an ereader

by the way i did not know you could get library books on your nook

which library systems allow you to do this?

Check the links in my signature...

Contributor
bothenjs
0 Kudos

GET A KINDLE INSTEAD!!!!   Support at AMAZON is GERAT- BN- duh- not.

Kindle MUCH more user friendly- use it all the time- rarely even turn on my NOOK- huge waste of cash- may give it away

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

@ bothenjs,

Why not give the OP your experience which causes you to scream Kindle so the OP can make an informed decision, rather than just saying the nook is a huge "waste of cash."  May be a waste of cash for you, but there are plenty of people who are quite happy they've purchased it.

When nooks were available a B&N stores, I purchased, unpacked and registered right in the store.  Nook automatically updated to the latest software (1.2 at that time).  Got it home and it recognized my wifi without any problem.  Can't get much more user friendly than that.

I say - check the features, including ebook sources for each device, then make a decision based on that.  Either device is a good choice.

This forum is a great place to learn about the nook and see what kind of possible issues there are.  The OP should bear in mind that while many people find this forum before they purchase (as I did) to learn about the device, others only post when they have a problem.  A lot of "problems" I read about on this forum could have been avoided or taken care of simply by reading the user guide and/or asking questions here.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

bothenjs wrote:

GET A KINDLE INSTEAD!!!!   Support at AMAZON is GERAT- BN- duh- not.

Kindle MUCH more user friendly- use it all the time- rarely even turn on my NOOK- huge waste of cash- may give it away

But, it's not just about support.  If the OP wants any flexibility, then he or she must consider all options to make an informed decision.

I e-mailed B&N CS one time back in January and got a response the next day.  This was back when they were swamped w/ new users.  I've gotten the rest of my help from reading the manuals, reading the boards here, and asking a few questions. 

As I said earlier, it really depends on what you want. 

Contributor
gpandhsmom10
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook for one week and it's been a wonderful week!

The reason I got the Nook instead of the Kindle:

1. I like the touch screen and the fact that there aren't all those buttons (letter keys) that I see all the time.

2. I liked the option of putting in a memory card and storing my books there.

3. And truthfully, I love to read, but I also love to play suduko. Sad but true.

My advice is the same as some others- compare the two. There are always going to be people who will like one more than the other. You just have to decide what features you like the best.

New User
pilaricaCA
0 Kudos

I love my Nook.  The size is what really convinced me to get it, very comfortable to hold.  I did not want the others for the size, web availability...which you can have now.  I wanted something to read.  The prize of the books are cheaper and the speed that everyone talks about I don't get, seems fast enough for me.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@bothenjs,

Can you let us know what issues you have had with your NOOK?  We want to help.

Reader
Traboule
0 Kudos

Hello,

I've noticed that you are all comparing the Kindle to the Nook...how about other ereaders, like the cybook or the sony ones?

I'm thinking about buying the nook but the only thing is the weight...compared, for example, with the cybook. If you read 2 hours, or even longer, it might make a difference. I've never tried to read that long with an ereader, so I don't know. But I'm a little concerned about that. What do you all think? 

Thanks

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

I've never used a Cybook, so I can say anything about it or its weight.  I read for hours at a time--often as much as 7 or 8--and the weight of the NOOK never bothers me.  I may be the wrong person to judge, though, since I'm used to holding 500+ page hardcovers for the same amount of time.  LOL  The NOOK is lighter by far than those!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I've never had any issues with holding the Nook for long periods of time.  I have been known to read for 6-8 hours on the weekends, no heavier than holding a paperback.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I don't even notice the weight.  I sometimes just prop mine up on my leg if I'm curled up or if I'm lying down I prop it on something.  I do notice that I don't have to hold it open whether I'm trying to eat at the same time or trying to read in bed.

Reader
Traboule
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies about the weight.

I looked into other ereaders, tried the cybook again and I stilll love how light it it. But the nook is also appealing. I think I'm going to wait a little more, maybe the prices will go down after the summer.

I've read about two double screen readers:

- liseng vbook

- entourage edge

Both have one e-ink screen and one lcd screen... Reviews are not very good but the two screen idea is promising, we'll see.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I too did my research before I bought my Nook. I wanted an eReader for Xmas and hubby said pick one out and buy it. THough he has since griped because I didn't get an IPAD. I would have still needed an Ereader because I can guarantee hubby would commandeer the IPAD for himself. :smileyhappy:

First, I looked for was what I could find being said about devices on the net. Which ones had enough reviews and discussions that I could actually get a feel for the device. I understood that much that I would read would be gripes, so I also tried to follow those discussion to find out which ones were user caused and which were the device or manufacturers, And how the problems were resolved.......That too interested me.

THe EInk feature was the next plus for me. I do not like reading for long periods on my computer as I get headaches from it. EInk looks very much like reading a physical book. I liked that as I worried I would miss reading books after I received my ereader. But I find I read much more now that I ever did and don't miss physical books at all.

The deciding factor though why I chose the Nook was the cost of supporting my reading habits. The cost of the Nook would not be as relevant in the long run as much as the cost of the books over the years I planned to own the Nook. It was not the cheapest eReader, but appeared to be the most flexible, allowing me multiple sources for reads which meant I would have more price options as well. The Lend Me feature was a big influence though I've yet to use it. The ability to borrow from the Library was the biggest plus for me as I used my local library weekly and would have sorely missed it. I read much more than I can afford to buy so the library has always been my number one source of reading material. The nearest ebook library to me was at least a 2 hour drive but I have been able to find 4 Libraries (3 from Texas where I live) that I have been able to get cards to without having to physically show up to apply.

When my page button cracked, BN was great, getting me a new one in the mail asap (I live an hour from the nearest store.) There's an enormous amount of support available right here on these boards to help you with whatever problems you have, including letting you know if it's a problem with the nook or you're just doing it wrong. :smileyhappy:

I did like that the Kindle had the Text to Speech feature. That was kind of hard to pass up. HOwever, being locked in to a single book source was the killer on that one for me. I knew I'd still have to be visiting my library for physical books that I couldn't afford so there didn't seem to be much sense in spending the money on a Kindle.

I LOVE Free Fridays here at BN and have discovered a few authors that I might never have read otherwise. A free ebook (and not from the public domain) once a week is a great plus for me!

I also liked that the Nook did not have a ton of buttons on the front of it. I really did not want to have to worry about hitting those buttons all the time when I didn't mean to. The Touch Screen can be accidentally activated but it's still comfortable to hold and use.

Pamela

Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

Comparing a Nook to the Kindle.

1.  Amazon customer service is excellent.  You can return a Kindle in within 30 days of purchase, no questions asked, no restocking fee If there is a problem with it (for example, if you drop it).  They will send you a new one for up to a year.

. B&N  nook is 2 weeks, with a restocking fee.  I have heard that B&N customer service is not very good.

2. You can purchase a book, and share with 6 other Kindles on the same account, forever

Nook, you can lend a book for 2 weeks, one time only.

3. Both the Kindle and Nook have the same technology e-Ink (as opposed to the iPad, which as the same back lit screen of a computer.

4.   The battery life of a Kindle is up to 2 weeks (as long as the wireless is turned off).  Usually, lasts for  a week, if I am downloading blogs and books frequently.

The majority of people that own a Kindle, love them.  They are fanatics about them.  It does not seem to be true of the Nook, I see a lot of complaints here.  

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

It always helps if you actually know what you are talking about.

karinlib wrote:

Comparing a Nook to the Kindle.

1.  Amazon customer service is excellent.  You can return a Kindle in within 30 days of purchase, no questions asked, no restocking fee If there is a problem with it (for example, if you drop it).  They will send you a new one for up to a year.

. B&N  nook is 2 weeks, with a restocking fee.  I have heard that B&N customer service is not very good.

There is no longer a restocking fee on the nook.  B&N customer service has always been extremely helpful when I have called.  The Nook comes with a 1 year standard warranty, which covers manufacturers defects, and you can purchase an additional extended warranty which covers accidental damage.  Just like most other electronics retailers.

2. You can purchase a book, and share with 6 other Kindles on the same account, forever

Nook, you can lend a book for 2 weeks, one time only.

Another lie.  You can do the exact same thing with the nook, except with UNLIMITED devices on your account.  The Beta "LendMe" program is only for lending books to additional people who are not on your account.

The majority of people that own a Kindle, love them.  They are fanatics about them.  It does not seem to be true of the Nook, I see a lot of complaints here.  

You've obviously been selectively reading the threads here then.  If you only read the threads dealing with problems, you're only going to see problems.  There are plenty of threads with people waxing rhapsodic about their nooks.  I'm sure if I go to the kindle boards, I can pick out 50 or 100 threads about individual problems with that device as well.  Doesn't mean that it's a defective product.  Just that people have a tendency to reach out for help on a help board when they're having a problem, not when they're happily whiling away the hours reading on their nooks.

And for all of your vauntedness about how "great" the kindle is, answer me these:

- can the kindle read e-books borrowed from the public library through overdrive?

- can the kindle read e-books purchased from kobo or Sony?

- can the kindle read anything published in the universal (except for amazon) epub format? 

mhn
Contributor
mhn
0 Kudos

No one is talking about the number of books for Kindle as opposed to the Nook. I bought the nook too because I liked the design. It seems less clumsy than the Kindle. But now I wish I would have purchased the kindle. Why? Because Amazon simply has more books for the Kindle than B and N has for the Nook. I did searches of books before I bought the Nook and there was not as much overlap as I hoped. But I went with the Nook anyway. Now today, I looked up another book on both and guess what. Again, Amazon has it for the Kindle and the Nook does not. And it is a recent book. Whipped: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity by Julie Serrano. Kobo doesn't have it either or I would down loaded it from there. Is there any way we can recommend to B and N books that should be nooked?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 1,009 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: