Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
kzink1
0 Kudos

I love my Nook, but...

I love my Nook, but I am finding that BN prices for books are almost always higher than the same books on Amazon...when I bought the Nook, they said that the prices would be comparable, but on one book, it is double the price!

In a case like that, it is possible to buy the ebook on Amazon, and somehow get it on my Nook?

Thanks so much.

Inspired Contributor
NomDePlumeIL
0 Kudos

Re: I love my Nook, but...

Sorry but the books bought through Amazon can only be read on the Kindle or the Kindle reader software on iphones, ipads, etc.  Amazon's DRM won't allow their books be read on nook or other ereaders.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

No, Amazon titles will not work.  Most books are comparable but their are some vagaries due to the new Agency 5 model that went into effect and how the contracts (or lack of) are affected some stores.

You might try these posts found with the search function:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=nook+agency+5

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

kzink1 wrote:

I am finding that BN prices for books are almost always higher than the same books on Amazon.

This shouldn't be the case. Five of the 'Big 6' publishing houses set the minimum price for e-books, and both Amazon and B&N will have those e-books at that minimum price. There should be no difference at all.

In the case of Penguin, though, Amazon does not have to honor that minimum price, but also can't sell any Penguin e-books released since April 1. Penguin has more titles at the top of the New York Times best-seller list than anybody, and this is becoming a problem for Kindle owners. The latest installments of a number of popular series are simply not available to Kindle owners.

For the other publishers (Random House and the smaller publishers), B&N generally sets best-seller prices at $9.99, the same as Amazon. This is less than they pay for the e-book; both Amazon and B&N are selling those best-sellers at a significant loss (about $4 per copy). B&N has to make up those losses by making a bit more on the older and less popular titles, while Amazon can make it up on television sets.

When you find a title where there's a big difference, and it's not a Penguin title, call Barnes & Noble. They're new to this e-book selling stuff, and there are still glitches in their system. Lots of times they'll find that the pricing was just wrong, and they'll fix it. Customer Service number is 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support.

While the Kindle owner is stuck with Amazon, NOOK owners can buy e-books from many different vendors (and can borrow them from the public library). A list of some popular e-book sources can be found at a link in my signature.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 1,008 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: