Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
HarleyGuy1968
0 Kudos

I'm thikning of getting a nook, but have a question

Can you play audio on the nook while reading a book (or doing other stuff) on the nook?

Thanks!

B&N Bookseller
DariaJane
0 Kudos

Re: I'm thikning of getting a nook, but have a question

Yep, you sure can!  Audio must be in mp3 format and put onto the nook from your computer, but that's really simple and in the manual.  Happy nooking!

Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

Get a Kindle, from Amazon, it is the best ereader out there.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

karinlib wrote:

Unless you -

want to borrow ebooks from a public library

want to read ebooks purchased from sources other than Amazon

don't want to see a keyboard all the time

To the OP -  compare the features of the ereaders and buy the one that has the ones that are most important to you.

New User
tongas
0 Kudos

I have a Kindle and a Sony and can buy books for both of them from many places, Baen, Manybooks, Smashwords, Feed Books just to name a few. I am not confined to buy books from only Amazon or the Sony bookstore.

Please research your facts before you post such erroneous information.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

tongas wrote:

I have a Kindle and a Sony and can buy books for both of them from many places, Baen, Manybooks, Smashwords, Feed Books just to name a few. I am not confined to buy books from only Amazon or the Sony bookstore.

Please research your facts before you post such erroneous information.

Yep -- you can buy books for your Kindle from any seller who supports Amazon's proprietary format ,,, for as long as they support Amazon's proprietary format.  Bringing Sony into the discussion is a red herring -- nobody here has ever claimed that Sony is limited by the same kind of proprietary hurdles.

When your Kindle isn't a walled garden anymore, c'mon back and talk to us.  Until then, you're just trolling, using red herrings for bait. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

karinlib wrote:

No such animal!.. Maybe the best for you. Why are you in a nook forum boasting kindle as the best. Troll Much?

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

karinlib wrote:

No such animal!.. Maybe the best for you. Why are you in a nook forum boasting kindle as the best. Troll Much?

Apparently so, with 69 post to her, if you'll pardon the expression, "credit".    Some people have really strange hobbies.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
tongas
0 Kudos

Most books from Baen are unDRM along with Smashwords and come in mobi format. Your Nook epubs are also DRMd and can be read only on your beloved Nook. Feedbooks is mostly unDRMd books. These sites provide me with books I can open with mobipocket reader or the Kindle. Undrmd epubs I can read on my computer or run through Calibre or change the extension to .zip and run them through mobipocket creator in about 2 clicks.I can read unDRMd pdfs natively on my Kindle. I can use Igorscript solution and download library books (although my local library doesn't have much in ebooks at this time.)

What on earth are you talking about...Google books are available. There is no walled garden. Quit bashing Kindles... they are fine ereaders along with the Sony and Nook. They all have their good and bad points but saying the Kindle is confined to the Amazon Store for books is absolute nonsense. That fact is WRONG. I have owned a Kindle for 2 and 1/2 years and have over 1000 books in my Kinde library, only 315 bought from Amazon. I have a pretty expansive garden. The Sony is not a red herring. It can read Sony epubs and access libraries....sounds like a Nook.

Research them all, fairly represent their plusses and minuses and then people can make a fair choice that suits them.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

@tongas - Did you know that you can get a library card to the Free Library of Philadelphia for $15?  You don't have to be a resident of Pennsylvania and can do it all by mail.

New User
tongas
0 Kudos

I know about Philadelphia and New York library access but I don't really want it. My sister on the East Coast wants library access. We share Kindle accounts but her finances don't support many ebook purchases. I told her to check B&N boards and the Sony boards and figure out which one she wants and I'll gift her the eReader and the library fee for her birthday. I just want her to see honest points of each reader, good and bad so she can make a fair choice. I just don't like the misinformation.

My anti-tech neighbor across the street goes to library here about 3 times a week. I just hand her lists of books I want...return them myself of course since it is a nice walk from my house for me and my dog to do that. I don't mind a DTB on occasion. I've got enough reading material on hand to last me at least 5 years.

It's a good point about the far flung access to major libraries. Nook owners should take advantage of them.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 262 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: