Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Droid937
0 Kudos

Is something wrong with my E-ink?

[ Edited ]

I was reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol until I see the words "Humans" and  "Peter". The 's' in "Humans" are cut off and the 'r' in "Peter" is also cut off. Is something wrong with my E-Ink Display on my Nook or it's supposed to be like that?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Is something wrong with my E-ink?

Lots of people report problems with that book.

Try a different font size, or maybe a different font face.

Does it also do this with other books?

Contributor
Droid937
0 Kudos

I think it's only with that book. I wonder why is it only this book...

Frequent Contributor
AmandaGal
0 Kudos

Do you know if that book is epub? It happens with a lot of my books from other sources that are not epub. 

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I have had it happen with other books, I don't feel it's that big of an issue. The screen is a little bit smaller than where the words end.

As someone suggested try shrinking your font and text.

Inspired Contributor
fjrichman
0 Kudos

Tried changinng font (not size because it was already medium) and while it changed that page and those particular letters weren't cut off like that a few pages later another was. I think this could be considered another lovely software glitch. Because if you look down that the bottom you'll see that the page number is in the area that is the "cut off area" which means that the software is imposing a margin around the text itself in which some letters are running into it and instead of dropping the word or letters the software is allowing the word to hit the margin and appear cut off.

So. Not an E-ink problem, just a programming problem.

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

fjrichman wrote:

Tried changinng font (not size because it was already medium) and while it changed that page and those particular letters weren't cut off like that a few pages later another was. I think this could be considered another lovely software glitch. Because if you look down that the bottom you'll see that the page number is in the area that is the "cut off area" which means that the software is imposing a margin around the text itself in which some letters are running into it and instead of dropping the word or letters the software is allowing the word to hit the margin and appear cut off.

So. Not an E-ink problem, just a programming problem.

I think that it probably has more to do with the way the book is formatted and less to do with the software.  

Contributor
Droid937
0 Kudos

It's a EPUB from B&N... I have tried changing the text but it still cuts off.

Contributor
Droid937
0 Kudos

I am also wondering if I keep changing the E-ink display (Eg. Viewing thousands pictures, pages, etc), will it wearout?

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

Droid937 wrote:

It's a EPUB from B&N... I have tried changing the text but it still cuts off.

The unfortunate fact is that the bugs on ebook formatting are still not worked out, and the only way to determine why it is chopping off text is to crack the drm and view the xml files.  Since this is currently illegal I would report the problem to B&N.  They may have license to edit the epub files for formatting or have enough weight with the publisher to ensure that it is corrected, I'm not sure about the specifics there.

Inspired Contributor
fjrichman
0 Kudos

debiant wrote:

I think that it probably has more to do with the way the book is formatted and less to do with the software.  

This may be true. But I'm thinking because of the fact I find the problem persists despite font size changes and font type changes that it might not so much be the formatting of the book and it's margins imposed by the software. One way to test this would to be to take a dozen books and read them all. If a single book doesn't display this problem then it is formatting and B&N needs to discuss with the publishers or whoever a slightly different formatting. However if this shows up on every book read regardless then it might prove to be the software itself.

I do believe this to be a bug and not a simple formatting issue of the books themselves. Because if it were the books themselves I think that this would appear other places too such as the Desktop software or the iPhones/Blackberries/Non-nook Devices. Which would be another way to test whether this is a bug caused by simple software or book formatting. So I think what should happen is someone who is experiencing these problems should take the book in which they're reading and try it with the various different methods of reading it. If the problem persisted over the various devices then it could be closed up as a formatting issue. If the problem does not appear on other devices then it'd clearly be a nook issue in which the nook software developers should know about.

Though while I admit this bug is slightly irksome I don't see it as that big a problem and it definitely won't stop me from reading more books on my nook.

Contributor
Droid937
0 Kudos

I have 2 nooks and I have tested them both with a few books. The problem persists on both nooks so I believe it's a software bug.

Frequent Contributor
pidgeon92
0 Kudos

I've had this happen in several books, particularly on lines that have one or more words italicized.

Frequent Contributor
jigray3
0 Kudos

I've had the lower one third of an entire line cut off on the bottom of a page. Annoying, not fatal until I can't read the sentence.

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

Whew! I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed this right away!  I got my very first eReader today, the Nook *cheers*, and I fully expected it to be delievered on Feb 12, so having it this early totally rocked.

I bought "The Stand: Uncut" (and THANK goodness, that the price was reduced from $40 to $8!!). The prologue had a lot of the letters cut off at the ends, no matter how I formatted it, it was still "cut" off. SO...I did some investigation, and saw that if there's a word that was italized, it DEFINTELY will cut off the last letter just a tiny bit. It was just a lot of cut offs during the prologue due to Stephen King talking about his previous books, and titles.  I came here to make sure that it wasn't just a defective thing.

I love my Nook already, but the formatting could be just a bit better, more tighter so the ends aren't "cut" off.

Is there, or would there, be any possiblity for updates that can fix that? I highly doubt it, but I don't care much for it.

Is there any websites or a thread that talks about the very minor (I'm talking like this kind of minor), things with the nook that I can watch for so I'm not that all "surprised". No eReader is perfect, but this is perfect for me!

Contributor
SourdoughJosh
0 Kudos

I am going to also assume this is a software issue, seeing as how the book I am currently reading (Grave Peril) did not have this problem in v1.1.3, and now since upgrading to 1.2 the issue shows up on every page. :smileywink:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 580 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: