Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
PBellCO
0 Kudos

Is there a backlight?

I received my NOOK for Mother's Day and have enjoyed it.  Someone told me there was a backlight...is there?  I want to read in bed with the overhead light off, but can't see the screen to read.....If there is one, how do I turn it on?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Is there a backlight?

No, e-ink screens do not have backlights.

To read in bed there is a wide selection of book lights available from B&N and other vendors.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

PBellCO wrote:

I received my NOOK for Mother's Day and have enjoyed it.  Someone told me there was a backlight...is there?  I want to read in bed with the overhead light off, but can't see the screen to read.....If there is one, how do I turn it on?

Someone lied to you, there's no back lite on the nook. Your going to need to buy one of the readily available book lites. There's quite a few to chose from, including a light that's kinda like a hearing aid, and goes around the ear, and shines directly onto the page your reading. I sometimes use that or the el cheapo one I got at target.  But as for a back lite on the nook, sorry nope..

Frequent Contributor
xtina823
0 Kudos

No backlight, however it would be nice. B&N sells the reading light for the Nook. I believe it's called the Lyra Light. Fits the Nook perfectly. 

Owner of a Nook, March 22, 2010
Name: Gizmo
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

It actually wouldn't be "nice".  It would most likely make your eyes more tired when reading.

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
janetq
0 Kudos

How do you turn on the screen (Nook Color model) to get a white background with bold print?  I have a subdued gray background.  Is it defaulting to something.  I can hardly read the way it is.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

janetq wrote:

How do you turn on the screen (Nook Color model) to get a white background with bold print?  I have a subdued gray background.  Is it defaulting to something.  I can hardly read the way it is.

You're posting in the Nook Technical Support.  There may be some Nook owners who also have a Nook Color (I don't), but you'll get a quicker reply if you post in the Nook Color board.  If you click on "Browse Book Clubs" up above you'll see the Nook Color boards.

Good luck and happy reading.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie
0 Kudos

janetq wrote:

When you are reading a book tap on the middle of the screen towards the bottom.  This will bring up a blue bar with options.  Tap on AaText.  Then touch 'grey'.  This should bring up the choices of Normal, Night, Grey.  Touch Normal.  That should do it.  

For more help with the NookColor click on  "Choose a Discussion"  (just below the search bar at the top of the page on the right) and join the discussions at NookColor General and NookColor Tech Support.

Good luck.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

xtina823 wrote:

No backlight, however it would be nice. B&N sells the reading light for the Nook. I believe it's called the Lyra Light. Fits the Nook perfectly. 

Since an eInk display is a reflective device, not a transmissive one, a backlight would in fact be kind of pointless.  No light shone behind the eInk display would come through.

There have been edge lighting attempts with eInk screens, but the one I have seen personally was not impressive (very uneven lighting with tiny LEDs arrayed around the edges of the screen).  And the N2E already has a bunch of LEDs around the edge - the infrared ones that make the grid for the touch sensitivity receptors on the opposite edges.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 576 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: