Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
laceysusan
0 Kudos

Issue with v1.5 and My Documents library over 80 documents

I have 100+ items in My Documents.  This is because I used eBooks a lot on my Palm so I have been purchasing them for years from ereader and fictionwise (both now owned by B&N).

However with the upgrade to 1.5, it is now unable to find them and display them on my Nook.  They are there if you look in Windows Explorer.

I was on the phone with tech support last night - 3 phone calls, almost 2 hours.  He (I wish I had written his name down - Clive? Clay?) plans to call back after Thanksgiving when he is back to work after the holiday to see if leaving it overnight made a difference.

We did a reboot, a factory reset, and a factory rollback.  It freezes on the Checking for new items.

This morning I deleted everything from My documents and started re-adding them a few at a time.  Worked fine until I got to 85 documents.  Now I am back to freezing at Checking for new items.

The only explanation I can come up with is the new Search function is somehow limited and once you reach that limit, you are dead in the water.

The worst thing is that my Overdrive library books are no longer visible either.

I hope they find an answer. Not having all my books available is a big problem.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: Issue with v1.5 and My Documents library over 80 documents

Well, I can at least confirm that it is NOT an inherent problem with 1.5.  I have almost 300 ebooks side-loaded into "My Documents" and my nook is working fine after the upgrade.  I wish there some something I could say to help you with your problem, but it sounds like the time you spent with Customer Service covered all the bases.  Maybe when you speak to them again you should ask about a replacement.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Not sure if this is your problem or not.

Someone in another thread reported that 1.5 is more sensitive to document names.

Specifically she had documents with 2 or more dots (.) in the name in her my documents folder and she was unable to open them.

Contributor
Gilly01
0 Kudos

The problem with file extensions containing two or more "."s was actually from one of my posts.  For some reason after updating to v1.5, the sideloaded eBooks with file extensions -ePub.v1.epub could be viewed under the "Item Details" tab however the Nook will not open them saying "Unrecognized file type."  Nothing has worked to include reboot, unregister, reregister, redownload etc.

Contributor
laceysusan
0 Kudos

I don't have the file issue with 2 "." file names because that is a well-known DOS issue.

I was able to load to 98 documents when it froze again on "Checking for new items".  I really don't want to be doing this every time I want to read something new.

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

I haven't had problems since I started using <shift> delete on the Windows side.  I don't know if that's what solved it.  For books on the card I have solved problems with a lot of books by copying the files on the card, reformatting the card and copying them back (I've heard the theory that putting stuff in the trash confuses the Nook.)

For a while I had ghost books - did not appear in Windows but the Nook was still showing them.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

Being an IT Professional I can see how the Recycling Bin could confuse the Nook as things in the trash aren't truely deleted.  Shift delete forces the files to be deleted rather than moved to the Recycling Bin. 

I always turn off the Recycling Bin in Windows since I personally feel that if I hit the delete button I really mean it.  That's a personal preference of mine that may be why I've never seen this issue myself.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 321 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: