Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
momRS
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Just bought the Nook. Won't turn the page and acts like it is frozen. Can't even turn it off. Help

Frequent Contributor
MyLittleAngels
0 Kudos

Re: Just bought the Nook. Won't turn the page and acts like it is frozen. Can't even turn it off.

Just bought?  As in, it was just shipped to you?  You just received it from someone?

We'll need some details as to what the background is on your nook (did you use it at all, was it frozen out of the packaging, what were you doing when it froze?), before we can offer any truly helpful suggestions.

New User
momRS
0 Kudos

Frozen Nook

Finally talked to a tech. He had me take the back off... remove the battery for a few seconds , and it started right up.

New User
CatMother
0 Kudos

Re: Frozen Nook

[ Edited ]

I also had my nook freeze up after a few hours of tutorial and setup.

I also figured out the back comes of nice with just a thumbnail between the front and back plastic at the bottom center where the USB plug goes in.

I also removed the battery for 30 seconds, replaced it and it restarted fine. Similar to a computer reboot.

I also found out that the auxiliary SD slot door is very floppy and flimsy which needs Great caution when setting your SD card in and CAREFULLY closing the catch.  It also is a must do by putting a small square of foam over the catch to keep it in place. This is a small glitch the maker has to address.

New User
Li1969
0 Kudos

Re: Just bought the Nook. Won't turn the page and acts like it is frozen. Can't even turn it off.

Hi

Thank you for posting this. I received my nook yesterday and today I had the same problem. I called for assistance but they let me waiting in the line for a long time, so I starting looking for an answer in the web.

I follow the instruccions and open the back of the device, just nobody wrote that a little screwdriver is needed to remove the battery. Luckily I was at home and I have that little tool, but if that happens again and I am on the road I won't be able to reset the nook.

My point is that the nook need a RESET button, removing the battery is not an easy thing to do.

Reader 2
Debbydoll
0 Kudos

I agree that this is something that is unacceptable. However, thanks for the info on resetting it. We can only hope that this problem will get resolved soon. I love my Nook. Other than this happening, I have no complaints!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Quote CatMother:

It also is a must do by putting a small square of foam over the catch to keep it in place. This is a small glitch the maker has to address.

Its actually not necessary to put foam on that microSD cover.  

It just works different than you expect.

First you Swing the cover closed, then you slide the cover down toward the bottom of the nook.

You will note little arrows embossed on the cover.  When you slide it all the way to the bottom, there is a slight detent which keeps it firmly in place.

New User
jordog
0 Kudos

Took batery off. Screen still frozen on my documents. Any other ideas?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

jordog wrote:

Took batery off. Screen still frozen on my documents. Any other ideas?

If you think the nooks is frozen

Hold down the power button for 20-30 seconds, then let it up.

Then press it down once more.  The nook should shut off.  

Press button once more to reboot.

If that does not work,

Remove batter.

With batter STILL out, plug nook into wall

Wait till it boots fully.

Then with nook still plugged into wall, reinsert batter, screw, and back cover.

Charge it for several hours.

New User
Celia25
0 Kudos

Thank you. I had tried all of the other steps that I found here, and other sites---pressing the button 20-30 sec. then re-try, taking out the battery, plugging into wall, etc. But none worked. I tried the Nook help desk but didn't get a timely answer (2 hours).

But plugging the (brand new, froze up just after registration) Nook into the wall WITHOUT THE BATTERY, it booted up. Re-charging now.

Thank you very much.

New User
KurtisPA
0 Kudos

So...I tried all of these recommendations - holding the power button down, removing the battery, plugging it into the wall with out the battery andthen inserting the battery with it still plugged into the wall.  Nothing works...still frozen.  Talked to the tech support people and they had me remove the battery and plug it into the wall for an hour to "discharge the unit" because it might have over charged..doubt it.

It all started after I charged it and then tried to register it with B&N.  Half way through the registration it froze and has been that way for two days now.  It's bricked...as we say in blackberry land :-(.   Any other ideas?

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Curtis, call back Digital Support, explain what's happened and what's already been done, then ask for a new nook.  There should be no problem getting an exchange.

Inspired Wordsmith
luvbooksCM
0 Kudos

Kurtis,

The same thing happened to me. I purchased my nook from the B&N website. It was delivered a week ago Friday. I plugged it in to charge it, I then tried to register it and it froze. I never got past the registration screen. I called customer service and we did everything to reboot it. We even took the battery out, plugged it in to reboot and then reinserted the batter. Nothing. Frozen solid.

C.S. had me take it to my local B&N store for the C.S folks to try. The store did everything they could and it was dead. THey finally determined I had a defective nook and replaced it in the store.

My advice: If your nook is still frozen on the registration screen, take it to the store and see if they can get it working. If not, have them call C.S. while still in the store to authorize a replacement.

Hope this helps!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

1. Unplug the device if it is plugged in.

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED does come on, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and charge fully.

5. If the yellow LED does not come on after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery.

6. Leave the battery for 4 hours (overnight if possible).  This step basically allows the battery to “reset”

7. After the 4 hours, go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

NOOK v1.4 software is now available via manual download at www.nook.com/update

with additional information and easy-to-follow directions. NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi will receive an automatic NOOK v1.4 update upon syncing over the next week.

This update offers complimentary AT&T Wi-Fi Access and a Go To Page feature (one of the most frequent enhancements requested by NOOK users).

If this issue continues and  there is a store near you a store rep can put a “good” battery in the device to get it to boot up.  After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader 2
bi-crafty
0 Kudos

My nook froze up solid as above, and tried everything mentioned above, to no avail. Fortunately for me, my friends bought me a spare battery when they gave me the nook for my birthday in June.  Never had a bit of trouble until today, when I tried to start it up after 4 days of inactivity.  FROZEN.  When I replaced the battery, it booted right up.  I then noticed that the original battery is dented - What the heck?!!  I keep the nook protected in a leather cover and I've never dropped the nook nor shoved into a tight space.  You can bet I'm going to request a new battery.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 552 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: