Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
shawn1964
0 Kudos

Key board will not show up on nook

My keyboard will not show up on my nook.  It did for a while, now when I go to search all I get is a blank screen no keyboard to input....what happened?

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: Key board will not show up on nook

Try holding the power button down for 20 seconds (hard reset). When you turn the NOOK back on try again. If the keyboard is still not displaying call customer support. They will probably walk you through re-installing the 1.4 update. Be sure to backup any files in your My Documents, My Screen Savers, etc. before reinstalling software.

New User
JEHabs
0 Kudos

I have this problem when trying to add posts on some websites. I click on the text box and no keyboard populates. Often then the whole nook freaks out and starts popping up the settings dropdown menu or refreshing the page. Is a reset the only Option?
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Correspondent
ProfReader

Re: keyboard 

Try this from a reply by LarryOnLi.

"http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/New-NOOK-WiFi-keyboard-not-displayed-o..." />

It's the sixth post of the thread.

riorico wrote:

Please help!!  I'm a new owner to Nook and having a problem getting the keyboard to appear so that I can connect to Wi-Fi.  What's the secret??

JEHabs wrote:
I have this problem when trying to add posts on some websites. I click on the text box and no keyboard populates. Often then the whole nook freaks out and starts popping up the settings dropdown menu or refreshing the page. Is a reset the only Option?

Frequent Contributor
Ropebender
0 Kudos

One thing you will want to know before doing the full factoory reset (the 6 times pressing - 20 seconds - wait 10 seconds - release and press again - routine).

If you have Side Loaded material on your nook, either move it to the SD card or back it up to your computer.  All the files stored on your main memory are going away when the software is reloaded.  All your B&N books are safe, when you re-register the NOOK after the reset you will be on Version 1.4 (the original version) and you will have to go through each of the software upgrades one at a time until you get to the current version.

Once you get back to the current version and re-register, your B&N books will pop up automatically.  They will need to be downloaded, but you will still be able to get them back.  The sideloaded content, however, would have been lost had you not backed it up. (this goes for books, music, screensavers, wallpaper, whatever)  

Sideloaded E-Reader books that are password protected will ask for your name and the credit card you used to purchase them, so having been through this a few times, I have kept a list of credit card numbers for my books, and the name of one of the books purchased with that card number.  You only need to unlock one book for each credit card and all the books bought on that card become unlocked.

Van!!.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
"There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Van!!
New User
alimusa
0 Kudos

Got the nook about two months ago.  For the last two weeks, I cannot search or use any app that requires the keyboard.  Keyboard just stopped appearing.  Search box shows without keyboard in which to text.  Same with adding new contacts.  Tried the 20 second hard reset and 10 second wait.  No dice.  What's up?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

alimusa wrote:

Got the nook about two months ago.  For the last two weeks, I cannot search or use any app that requires the keyboard.  Keyboard just stopped appearing.  Search box shows without keyboard in which to text.  Same with adding new contacts.  Tried the 20 second hard reset and 10 second wait.  No dice.  What's up?

If you have a NookColor, you may get more assistance by posting on the NookColor board.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 846 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: