Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
revt
0 Kudos

Kindle Book Compatibility

I'm considering buying Nook, but most of the titles that I would want are from Kindle.  Do you guarantee compatibility with all Kindle titles?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: Kindle Book Compatibility

[ Edited ]

revt wrote:

I'm considering buying Nook, but most of the titles that I would want are from Kindle.  Do you guarantee compatibility with all Kindle titles?

Amazon sbooks only work on the Kindle or the Amazon.com ereader.

Amazon.com is pretty much theo nly place you cannot buy books for the nook.  Searching addall.com or inkmesh.com for books you want will bring up results from many different ebooks stores that are compatible with the nook.

New User
revt
0 Kudos

Thanks, but I'm still confused.  When I look at the titles on Amazon, they say FORMAT:  KINDLE BOOK.  Is that an 'sbook', or is this another format?

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Kindle books only work on Kindles.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

What Nallia said.

Amazon does a lock-in with Kindle. Kindle owners can only buy the best-selling e-books from Amazon, and the e-books they buy can only be used on a Kindle (or on a device like an iPad or iPhone with a Kindle app).

That was a big reason I chose the nook. I'm an Amazon Prime customer, but I'm not going to be locked into a single vendor of e-books and e-book readers.

The nook can use e-books from almost any vendor except Amazon. I put together a partial list here: link.

New User
lgvision
0 Kudos

Kindle now has an Android app.  Does that mean Kindle books would now be compatible?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

lgvision wrote:

Kindle now has an Android app.  Does that mean Kindle books would now be compatible?

You can read Kindle books anywhere you can use the Kindle app.

It's HIGHLY unlikely that you're going to be able to use that Kindle app on any B&N manufactured device.  (Without rooting.)

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 253 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: