Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
ellaryk
0 Kudos

Last page read not sync'ing between devices

Last page read is not syncing between my Nook and Nook for PC. Instructions say that the Nook for PC atomatically syncs but when I go to last page saved on BN.com it doesn't go to the last page I read on the PC.

What do I need to do to correct this?

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: Last page read not sync'ing between devices

ellaryk wrote:

Last page read is not syncing between my Nook and Nook for PC. Instructions say that the Nook for PC atomatically syncs but when I go to last page saved on BN.com it doesn't go to the last page I read on the PC.

What do I need to do to correct this?

Make sure both are hooked up to the internet.    If you PC or nook can't access this site, they can't set the last page read.

---------
Don
Frequent Contributor
ellaryk
0 Kudos

They're both connected to the internet.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

ellaryk wrote:

They're both connected to the internet.

I think I've read somewhere that you have to exit the book, then open it on your other device.  See if that helps, I haven't checked it out yet.

New User
JoeAttardi
0 Kudos

Same exact problem here. This is just getting absurd. Several YEARS ago my first generation Kindle automatically performed the syncing flawlessly. I saw in another thread on this same topic that someone said the development lead should lose his/her job. I absolutely agree. This shouldn't be complicated. For those of you who downplay this issue because you don't read on other devices - too bad! This is an advertised feature and for us power users who use this feature and expect it to work, it is infuriating. Especially given that the Kindle has done this without issue for years. B&N needs to get their heads on straight and make sure this is fixed once and for all in 1.6.
Contributor
Oliver40274
0 Kudos

I use the feature to read between my Nook classic and my Android phone - with no issues.

I don't sync LPR to my PC however.

One thing I did notice was that the sync isn't immediate. It usually takes minutes before closing one device for the LPR to be available on the other device. At first this bothered me me but then I realized that the flaw is irrelevant for real world usage. 

Reader 2
mustBbusy
0 Kudos

I have also tried the above recommendations and it still does not work. Very frustrating.  I also tried bookmarking the last page read in hopes that I could at least pick that up on whichever device I am using - but to no avail.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Frequent Contributor
ellaryk
0 Kudos

Still not working for me. I'm sync'ing between Nook and PC. The Nook finally got close to the page I left off on the PC. But today I just opened Nook for PC after about a week and it did not sync to the last page read on the Nook.

The PC app's sync function is supposed to be automatic. But there ought to be a manual function to force it that would respond with an error message if there is a problem.

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

ellaryk just to be clear ...when in a book you have set the preference to sync with B&N?  Sorry I don't use this function since I share acct with another family member and it wouldn't be usful thing for us.

I believe I have seen on here also tapping on the "check for new content" helps with this problem.

Have you tried turning your Nook all the way off?  Then let it restart?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

ellaryk wrote:

The PC app's sync function is supposed to be automatic. But there ought to be a manual function to force it that would respond with an error message if there is a problem.

I don't believe it's supposed to be automatic. Click the Sync button (circular arrow) at the top of the window.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

ellaryk wrote:

Still not working for me. I'm sync'ing between Nook and PC. The Nook finally got close to the page I left off on the PC. But today I just opened Nook for PC after about a week and it did not sync to the last page read on the Nook.

And you had WiFi ON the whole time on the NC?

And sync'd the PC Nook before opening the book on it?

---------
Don
Reader
Vageek
0 Kudos

:It has been broke for awhile. I purchased the Nook Simpletouch a few months ago (shortly after it first hit the market) and I have yet to see it work as advertised------auto last  page read sync'ing between devices--It doesn't matter what you do this feature will not work correctly--- I have observed on the WEBB that this issue has been around for about a year or so. I have also seen some suggested fixes which I have tried without any success.-----I am getting the impression for what ever reason  Barnes & Noble is not very interested in fixing this problem. It shouldn't be that big of a problem to solve. Besides, I am also using a Kindle that syncs last page read between devices as advertised without any problems.---pc->kindle ereader-->android ereader app. I am hoping that I am wrong and that a fix is coming shortly-within a month or so.  This feature may not be important to some , but it is to me since I do read a lot and I do like to use multi devices-------In other words, it is a deal breaker for me when it comes to the what type of ebook to purchase; whether it will be a  Kindle or Nook.     

New User
ennui101
0 Kudos

Well, here we are a year later and the problem is still with us.  Nook synchs Nook to iPad and vice versa but not to PC or from PC as far as I can tell.  It is an annoyance and the failure to fix it is disrespectful to B&N client base.  Doesn't anyone from the company read the forums?

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

I have to say, except for a very brief time after syncing was added to the firmware (can't remember when that was, but I don't belive my Nook 3G had syncing out of the box). But, for quite some time now, I've not been able to get sync to work with ANYTHING and the Nook. Not my Android tablet, my iPad, or my PC.

If anyone has any new info or tips to get this working with any device, I'd appreciate it. Really hampers the value of the device when it can't be used with other devices as it's supposed to.

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

I have to say, this is an interesting case. Normally, when we go to a product forum and complain, and threaten to leave for a competitive product because some issue is being ignored, our threat is an empty one. After all, we've already purchased the product, and we'll likely own it long enough that the company doesn't fret about our next purchase. It's short-sighted on their part, but there's really no immediate impact.

In this case, however, my decision to buy the new Kindle with Paperwhite display WILL impact Barnes and Noble, because I buy a fair number of ebooks and I'll now be buying them from Amazon. So, I feel that it really is meaningful when I come here and complain about a problem that's been known for months and that B&N seems not to care much about.

It's disappointing.

New User
Kben22
0 Kudos

How has this not been resolved yet? Better yet...how have we not received any sort of reply from B&N on this issue.

Bottom line - The Kindle does something SIGNIFICANTLY better than the nook and that happens to be a core piece of functionality. It's getting to the point where it's worth loosing the collection of books I'll built up at B&N and just starting fresh with a Kindle.

Is it that ridiculous to ask for some sort of update on where this issue stands?

New User
ennui101
0 Kudos

if you download books to pc, you won't lose them. I have given up on Nook and read only on iPad.
Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

Syncing is working for me. I don't use it often but noticed yesterday when I had been looking at a book on another Nook of mine.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 642 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: