Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
eshoody
0 Kudos

Left side of wallpaper is burnt onto screen

Hello,

I couldn't seem to find a message that dealt with this issue but the far left half inch of the wallpaper is burnt onto the screen on my nook, regardless of what page I am on.  It covers the text on the left side and makes it unreadable.  I've messed with it, restarted it and such and still not better.  It did happen after a very minor "fall" from the kitchen counter to the floor. (It was in it's case and did not hit the ground hard.  I've had this type of fall before and no problem)  Could this have done it?  Does this seem like a permanent break that I will have to live with?  By the way, I can't stand it.  I will go buy a new one before I try to live with a dark stripe running down the side and covering the text, which is a bummer.  Okay, thanks for any help.  I love the Nook anyway!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: Left side of wallpaper is burnt onto screen

[ Edited ]

eshoody wrote:

Hello,

I couldn't seem to find a message that dealt with this issue but the far left half inch of the wallpaper is burnt onto the screen on my nook, regardless of what page I am on.  It covers the text on the left side and makes it unreadable.  I've messed with it, restarted it and such and still not better.  It did happen after a very minor "fall" from the kitchen counter to the floor. (It was in it's case and did not hit the ground hard.  I've had this type of fall before and no problem)  Could this have done it?  Does this seem like a permanent break that I will have to live with?  By the way, I can't stand it.  I will go buy a new one before I try to live with a dark stripe running down the side and covering the text, which is a bummer.  Okay, thanks for any help.  I love the Nook anyway!

There is no burn in for an e-ink screen. Sounds like a broken screen indeed.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

eshoody wrote:

Hello,

Definitely sounds like a broken screen. 

No - you DO NOT have to live with it or buy a new nook.  Assuming that you did not purchase the extended warranty and that the damage was not caused by you dropping the nook (or something similar) you should contact Customer Service and arrange a replacement.  Your nook should still be under the one-year manufacturers warranty.

If you DID purchase the extended warranty - then even better!!  Doesn't matter if you dropped it, sat on it, or the dog chewed it - - just call Customer Service and get a replacement.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Reader 4
LilGator
0 Kudos

This has happened to me a few times. And it's always the left side. It's exactly half of the screen.

I finally got it to "reset" after shutting it off and on a few times and even removing the battery once.

Mine was definately not a broken screen.

New User
eshoody
0 Kudos

For some reason I haven't tried taking the battery out yet.  Short on time I think.  But

anyway, I will try that and otherwise I will assume it's broken.  Some others above seem to 

lean towards that.  Thanks for the replies from you all.  On another note, I just got back from the Apple store and I'd sure like to see a forum that bags on Apple and their products, even though I always end up owning them.   iPad never though, does anyone know if the iPad sold well?

Thanks again.

eshoody 

New User
faithraine96
0 Kudos

Mine just today has a big square down towards the bottom of the screen, and a few line down the middle, of a combination of 2 wallpapers (I have a slideshow with the covers of all the books I have on it). I took out the battery and am trying to follow an answer above saying that resetting it a couple of times seemed to work, before calling Customer Service. I do have the warranty, but I don't think I could go a few days without it XD

Contributor
nookQueen
0 Kudos

I've seen many nooks, protected by covers, that have fallen accidentally. It sounds as if your nook screen has been damaged by the fall.  If your nook is protected by B&N's extended protection plan for two years, you have two choices.  Firstly, you can take your nook back to your local B&N store and they might be able to switch out your nook with a new replacement, if your nook is about two months old. Secondly, If your nook has been purchased back in January, for example, you can simply call B&N's Digital Tech Support at 1.800.THE.

BOOK, select option two. Give them the serial number of your nook and tell them about the accidental fall, damaged screen. You'll have the option for "Rapid Replacement," where, once you provide tech support with a credit card number, they will send your replacement nook straightaway. And once you receive the replaced nook, you'll need to send your defective nook back to them at they address they provide. Hope that information is helpful....

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 62 members 748 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: