Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bevnd
0 Kudos

LendMe How many times?

There have been previous posts on how many times a B&N eBook can be lent. Today I received an email reply from Customer Service at Barnes & Noble and I hope others find this information helpful and authoritive to verify and clarify the # of times sent.

Re: Customer Service Mail - Order Number: Nook eBook (KMM27181260V81131L0KM)
Monday, August 23, 2010 11:32 AM

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry.

When an eBook is lent, it can only be lent to a recipient's email
address once.  This means you can lend an eBook to Jane Doe for two
weeks and when the book is returned to your library, you can lend that
same title to another email address.  You can lend to the same person
only when the title is different.

We hope you found this information helpful.  If you need further
assistance, please contact us at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) Monday
through Friday from 8AM to 11PM EST, Saturdays and Sundays 9AM to 11PM
and request Digital Support.

Sincerely,

Michelle
Customer Service Representative - Digital Support
Barnes and Noble
http://www.bn.com/
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe How many times?

[ Edited ]

I would seek confirmation before I believed that, because the FAQ clearly states:

Lending offers on a wide selection of eBooks can be sent from the NOOK to any email address. A lending offer, which shows up in the daily on the recipient's NOOK or their email account if they do not own a NOOK, is available for 7 days and can be accepted or declined on a NOOK or online. All lendable titles can be lent once for 14 days. Once a lending offer is submitted, it cannot be retracted

With our new LendMe™ technology, you can lend many of your eBooks one time for a maximum of 14 days. 

The FAQ is here:http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195

Frequent Contributor
bevnd
0 Kudos

Needing confirmation of the policy is what prompted the email to Customer Service. As I understand from others they are unable to use the LendMe as stated in the Customer Service email, but I have used it as stated in the email without a problem.

If anyone is unable to use the LendMe feature as stated in the Customer Service email as posted above, I suggest contacting CS as this is the second response I have received from CS and both emails state the same exact policy. 

I don't know why some people can use the feature and others are unable to.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

I would seek confirmation before I believed that, because the FAQ clearly states:

Lending offers on a wide selection of eBooks can be sent from the NOOK to any email address. A lending offer, which shows up in the daily on the recipient's NOOK or their email account if they do not own a NOOK, is available for 7 days and can be accepted or declined on a NOOK or online. All lendable titles can be lent once for 14 days. Once a lending offer is submitted, it cannot be retracted

With our new LendMe™ technology, you can lend many of your eBooks one time for a maximum of 14 days. 

The FAQ is here:http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195

I had issues with this as well, however I have now lent an ebook to two different people with no problems.

Frequent Contributor
bevnd
0 Kudos

Did you read the email from CS?

The SAME eBook Title can only be lent once to the same email address. That does not mean you cannot lend the send eBook Title  to a different email address.

Sorry to hear the LendMe is not working properly for you.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

bevnd wrote:

Did you read the email from CS?

The SAME eBook Title can only be lent once to the same email address. That does not mean you cannot lend the send eBook Title  to a different email address.

Sorry to hear the LendMe is not working properly for you.

Who are you referring to? Because I pretty plainly stated that I HAVE in fact lent an ebook more than once to more than one person.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

bevnd wrote:

I don't know why some people can use the feature and others are unable to.

I'm not sure anybody says they are unable to use lend me.

I'm just saying this is a CHANGE, (a welcome one!), but its a change the the FAQ has not caught up with yet as you can see from the quote.  The "Features" page suggests multiple lending.  But the manual still states on page 124 that you can only lend once.

Frequent Contributor
bevnd
0 Kudos

Sorry, I had two windows open on my PC about this LendMe.  But whatever I hope everyone is able to use the LendMe as stated in the CS email reply.  I think it the way it is worded in the Manual could have been stated clearer.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The way its worded in the manual has been correct up to very recently.  

As I pointed out, this is a CHANGE from previous policy.  B&N has been something of a laughing stock for offering Lend ME but only offering it for a SINGLE lend.  Do some web searches.

Yours is the first post on these boards that this policy has been quietly changed.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Michael, Please Check into this!

bevnd wrote:

There have been previous posts on how many times a B&N eBook can be lent. Today I received an email reply from Customer Service at Barnes & Noble and I hope others find this information helpful and authoritive to verify and clarify the # of times sent.

Re: Customer Service Mail - Order Number: Nook eBook (KMM27181260V81131L0KM)
Monday, August 23, 2010 11:32 AM

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry.

When an eBook is lent, it can only be lent to a recipient's email
address once.  This means you can lend an eBook to Jane Doe for two
weeks and when the book is returned to your library, you can lend that
same title to another email address.  You can lend to the same person
only when the title is different.

We hope you found this information helpful.  If you need further
assistance, please contact us at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) Monday
through Friday from 8AM to 11PM EST, Saturdays and Sundays 9AM to 11PM
and request Digital Support.

Sincerely,

Michelle
Customer Service Representative - Digital Support
Barnes and Noble
http://www.bn.com/

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Re: Michael, Please Check into this!

Frog, I can test this if you want.  I lent "A is for Alibi" to someone and have it back, but it no longer shows as a Lend Me.  PM me if you want me to try lending it to you to test this.

Or anyone else.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Results of A is for Alibi test: FAIL

I had loaned the book over a month ago, so it's back in my library, but the "lend me" symbol is gone and Lend is not an option.

So, IF it's true that you can loan multiple times, I wonder if that's just for books that haven't been lent yet? 

Even if I loaned a book now, I couldn't try to loan it again for two weeks.

Michael?  What's the scoop?

Frequent Contributor
passthepeas
0 Kudos

-@ gqb

Hmm, that is disapointing but maybe it is the beginning of some changes or *gasp* a potential feature for 1.5.  Okay a guy can hope, right!?   Thanks for looking in to this!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Maybe BEVND has a different version?   Maybe 1.4.1 or something?

They are being so closed lip about it its hard to tell.  Half the web site reads like you can loan for 14 days "at a time" and the other parts insert the word ONCE.

So post your software level if you can lend twice in succession.

Frequent Contributor
bevnd
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have 1.4.0

Also, I had and eBook that did not work on my Nook so I phoned CS and the Tech had me try different things, then gave me one last option to try and then I was to phone back after completing that task. Well, the last attempt did not work but I spent so much time with the Tech that I archived the book and waited a few weeks. I went to the B&N store I frequent and asked the in-store CS to help me. He tried the usual steps and it did not work. He phoned CS and what they had him do was download the exact same Title to the store Nook and it worked without a problem. The Tech said he would delete the Title from My Library and credit my account then I would have to rebuy it but wait 15 minutes before rebuying it; if that was okay with me, then he would go ahead. I gave the okay then I waited 45 minutes in-store and still it would not let me rebuy it. I went home and waited a couple hours and then rebought it and the eBook works w/out a problem.

I think there are glitches in these Nooks as to why some features and eBooks work on some Nooks and not on others. Or maybe they are actually doing Tests and see what kind of responses they get before actually make the software update permanent.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I have 1.4.0.  I went to my account online, and under my ebooks library and under A is for Alibi, it says "You've already lent this item."

I've got three books awaiting acceptance, and it notes that also.

So, it's tied to my account, of course.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

This is strange. I have the Sculptor & Perfect woman, I have lent both books two times. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Given Michael's refusal to post on this subject I suspect an announcement is imminent.

Maybe even a fix for this battery and wifi plagued release 1.4.

If so, the thing we all groused about back in December when we all found out what a joke Lend Me was, and all the pirating talk it generated, will finally be some what ameliorated a full 9 months later.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

bevnd wrote:

Also, I had and eBook that did not work on my Nook so I phoned CS and the Tech had me try different things, ...

The subject of another thread bevnd, lets keep this thread focused,

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@icebike,

Correction on the refusal comment.

I am looking into the LendMe feature and its capabilities.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 292 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: