Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Contributor
MikeA555
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎02-22-2010
0 Kudos

LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

I bought the Nook for my wife planning on getting one for myself. Several other friends also bought one with the expectation it would be cheaper in the long run as we can lend eBooks to each other after finishing (several other readers suggested that Amazon books were on average cheaper). After extensively speaking with the salesperson who convinced us the LendMe feature alone was the reason to go with the Nook we bought the nook and suggested several friends to also make the purchase. No one realized the problem until I stumbled on page 112 of the users manual which has their lending rules. It states "Not all eBooks can be lent (though many can)" and "You can only lend an eBook one time". Please refer to the chapter for the full details and other limitations. This defeats the reason I purchased the nook as you can pass around a real book all you want so this "RULE" makes no sense.

We have to get the word out to pressure B&N to make a change. IF consumers refuse to purchase the nook I am confident B&N can change this "RULE".

 

Correspondent
illmunkeys
Posts: 363
Registered: ‎12-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

There are multiple discussions on this.  The LendMe feature is a great ideal, crippled by publishers.

Contributor
NotSoFast
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎02-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

It won't help with your friends, but put yours on the same account as your wife's and you can both read the same books that you only have to download and buy once. 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

 


MikeA555 wrote:

I bought the Nook for my wife planning on getting one for myself. Several other friends also bought one with the expectation it would be cheaper in the long run as we can lend eBooks to each other after finishing (several other readers suggested that Amazon books were on average cheaper). After extensively speaking with the salesperson who convinced us the LendMe feature alone was the reason to go with the Nook we bought the nook and suggested several friends to also make the purchase. No one realized the problem until I stumbled on page 112 of the users manual which has their lending rules. It states "Not all eBooks can be lent (though many can)" and "You can only lend an eBook one time". Please refer to the chapter for the full details and other limitations. This defeats the reason I purchased the nook as you can pass around a real book all you want so this "RULE" makes no sense.

We have to get the word out to pressure B&N to make a change. IF consumers refuse to purchase the nook I am confident B&N can change this "RULE".

 


 

Hmmm, probably not gonna happen.  First of all, that particular feature is not a biggie for everyone, second this hasn't been news for a long time see the nook FAQ and last of all, the restriction on which books you can lend is set by the publishers.

 

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
Posts: 417
Registered: ‎02-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

Although the feature (lending ebooks) is not a biggie. It's still a very interesting concept. With a lot of potential, I think B&N ooopsed when promoting the idea, with out realizing the publishers might not go along with it. We all know the only real restrictions on a paper version of a book are pretty much, don't reproduce it, and dump it on the internet.

 

But the lending function, why that almost puts the ebook into the same family as a paper book. Where you can lend it out, and while it's being lent out, then it's unavailable to you, makes perfect sense to me, and is actually fair, and something we're actually used to.

 

Unfortunatly this is not truely a B&N issue, it's the publisher/author. Ideally i'd like to see where you can do a permanent ownership transfer to a 3rd party, like you could do with softcover books at used book stores. Of course the publisher would that that would take away from his and the authors profits. I don't think so, since the people (i used to be one) who'd buy used books, would not buy NEW books. They'd be perfectly happy reading a copy thats been read several times, and resold same amount of time.

 

Why not allow something like that for books that make it to paperback, and have been on the market for say 6 months (maybe a year) then allow ALL of those to be lendable, since in a 6 month to a years time period I'd say they've made the vast majority of thier profits they can, I'd guess that thier book sales of any particular book would start to peter out after 6 months or so, and would be less risk to allow them to go as fully lendable.

 

well that's my view, you take that and about several dollars, and you can buy a cup of coffee with it.

Reader
Conachar
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎01-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

I just discovered this problem.  If it really is a problem with the publishers and authors, BN should, at least, indicate which books can be loaned out before  you purchase them.

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
Posts: 168
Registered: ‎11-17-2009
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

 


Conachar wrote:

I just discovered this problem.  If it really is a problem with the publishers and authors, BN should, at least, indicate which books can be loaned out before  you purchase them.


 

The lendable books do have a "Lend Me" indicator on them I believe when you go to view the details of the book.

 

Contributor
MikeA555
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎02-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

You make some great points but miss the mark by saying lending eBooks is not a biggie. It might not be to you but that was the deciding point for me when buying the Nook. I know some will scream apples and oranges but imagine buying a car with air conditioning only to be told by the service manager it's not their fault it doesn't work but maybe will fix it someday or that by air conditioning they meant you can open the windows.

 

Lend eBooks to friends. (in LARGE and blue print)

Nook lets you loan eBooks to friends, free of charge. Remember, what goes around comes around.

 

That is what is prominently displayed on their web site and promotional material. You have to dig deeper to find out their restrictions. B&N should immediately STOP misleading advertising, and compensate those who were mislead or allow us to use the feature we purchased.

Contributor
Pixiedusted
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎01-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

I am not happy about LendMe.  I purchased Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol & my daughter purchased Stephanie Meyer's Twilight.  Both are listed on the LendMe page, but they are, in fact (according to B & N customer support) NOT lendable, and B & N is citing publisher limitation.

 

If they are not lendable, then they should not be advertised on the LendMe page.

 

Just sayin...

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

 


Pixiedusted wrote:

I am not happy about LendMe.  I purchased Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol & my daughter purchased Stephanie Meyer's Twilight.  Both are listed on the LendMe page, but they are, in fact (according to B & N customer support) NOT lendable, and B & N is citing publisher limitation.

 

If they are not lendable, then they should not be advertised on the LendMe page.

 

Just sayin...


 

 

This is quite true, they should clean that up pronto.

 

You and your daughter have a couple of options, start using one B&N account or download and sideload the books onto your respective nooks.

Contributor
Pixiedusted
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎01-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

She lives 300 miles away....

 

I bought her one for her b-day.  I should have had her register it to my account as well (since I purchased it.)

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
Posts: 417
Registered: ‎02-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

stupid question, but I assume she could always un-register hers, then re-register it under your account... but I'm wondering if the book she bought wouldn't transfer over??? Now that sounds like a good tech question.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
Posts: 363
Registered: ‎12-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

[ Edited ]

 


Pixiedusted wrote:

I bought her one for her b-day.  I should have had her register it to my account as well (since I purchased it.)


If you trust one another, send your book over to her, have her sideload it.  It will ask for the credit card info once.  Give her that info.  Bam.  Shared book.  Then you both can still have your seperate accounts.  The way you're talking, if she goes to purchase a book, she'll use your credit card or gift card.

 

(Technically, this could run afoul of certain piracy provisos, but believe me, you aren't going to give just anyone your credit card information... unless you're one of those people who fall for Nigerian email scams and if you are, do I have a deal for you!)

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

 


Pixiedusted wrote:

She lives 300 miles away....

 

I bought her one for her b-day.  I should have had her register it to my account as well (since I purchased it.)


 

Just download it and email her the file, they are small files so there shouldn't be any problem.

 

New User
cjlarsen
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

MikeA555,

 

Thanks for posting the information.  like you I was mainly interested in the Nook (as opposed to Kindle, Cybook Gen 3/Opus, etc.) because of the Lendme feature.  You would think that the 14 day limitation was enough!  The 14 day limitation should be increased to a month too. Being able to lend the book only once makes the lendme feature useless.  Too bad - it lookes like a great product, but it seem it's really just another marketing gimick.

 

B&N: Shame on you.  Get those marketing folks under control.  I lend real books to friends all the time.  Often, they then buy other books by that same author.  From You.  Allowing me to lend an ebook to only one person just means that I'll lend them printed books instead - but if you don't fix this, I'll be annoyed and buy my printed books from AMAZON.COM. I don't like the kindle so I guess I'll keep searching for a better ebook device.  I already have a free reader for my MAC.

 

You know, libraries buy printed books.  And they lend a copy out dozens of times (maybe hundreds for hardbacks) before it wears out, and then they buy another copy or two. You could setup the lendme feature to default to say 5 times, and then have the ability to buy more lendings of the book for a significant fraction of the book's value.  For example

Book + 5 lendings $10.00

Additional 10 lendings $1.00

Additional 100 lendings $5.00

You'd make customers happy, get more money, and end up with libraries as customers, who'd come back and buy more lendings of the book.

 

It's not like another electronic copy of a book actually costs B&N anything.  I hope you are passing some of the profits from ebook sales on to the authors (you know, those people who create your product)

 

Anyway, that's my 2cents.

CJ

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
Posts: 454
Registered: ‎01-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

Again, it is the publishers, NOT Barnes and Noble, who are setting these restrictions.

 

Just as it was the publishers who caused the issues with Kindle's "highly touted" (though I don't get it...electronic voices don't do it for me) text-to-speech thing.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

 

violetangel wrote:

Again, it is the publishers, NOT Barnes and Noble, who are setting these restrictions.

 

Just as it was the publishers who caused the issues with Kindle's "highly touted" (though I don't get it...electronic voices don't do it for me) text-to-speech thing.

 

Shh!  Don't cloud the issue with facts!

 

flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,011
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

I always love how everyone touts the "but I can resell my paperbacks to a used bookstore!!!!" strawman when there's a discussion of LendMe.

 

The publishers don't like it when you resell your books. They can't really stop you with DTB's, but they can with DRM'd ebooks. Does it really surprise anyone that they control it so tightly?

Frequent Contributor
Gwynne
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎04-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

 

flyingtoastr wrote:

I always love how everyone touts the "but I can resell my paperbacks to a used bookstore!!!!" strawman when there's a discussion of LendMe.

 

The publishers don't like it when you resell your books. They can't really stop you with DTB's, but they can with DRM'd ebooks. Does it really surprise anyone that they control it so tightly?

 

 

If publishers could, they'd ban selling used DTBs as well.

 

I don't know anyone else personally that has a Nook, so the limited LendMe options are not a big deal to me.  I have joined the Facebook group for Nook owners with books to lend, and have borrowed a book through that.  It's a very handy feature.

 

B&N, when they came up with the LendMe feature, wanted it to be just like owning a physical copy of the book.  Heck, as envisioned, it would be BETTER than lending a DTB, because you'd actually be guaranteed to get it back every single time!

 

But the publishers are being buttheads, and that is NOT B&N's fault.  Instead of whining on an obscure board on B&N, we should be writing to the publishers and pointing out the benefits to THEM of allowing books to be lent.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
Posts: 417
Registered: ‎02-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: LendMe feature - lending eBooks limitations.

 

Gwynne wrote:

 

flyingtoastr wrote:

I always love how everyone touts the "but I can resell my paperbacks to a used bookstore!!!!" strawman when there's a discussion of LendMe.

 

The publishers don't like it when you resell your books. They can't really stop you with DTB's, but they can with DRM'd ebooks. Does it really surprise anyone that they control it so tightly?

 

 

If publishers could, they'd ban selling used DTBs as well.

 

I don't know anyone else personally that has a Nook, so the limited LendMe options are not a big deal to me.  I have joined the Facebook group for Nook owners with books to lend, and have borrowed a book through that.  It's a very handy feature.

 

B&N, when they came up with the LendMe feature, wanted it to be just like owning a physical copy of the book.  Heck, as envisioned, it would be BETTER than lending a DTB, because you'd actually be guaranteed to get it back every single time!

 

But the publishers are being buttheads, and that is NOT B&N's fault.  Instead of whining on an obscure board on B&N, we should be writing to the publishers and pointing out the benefits to THEM of allowing books to be lent.

 

 

@Gwenne, 

 

I agree with you, next to being able to read in store (great marketing ploy there) the LendMe feature is the most brilliant Idea I had ever heard of.  You LendMe a book to a friend and that's where it starts behaving like a DTB. The biggest benefit is if you Lend it to someone, and they leave town, it's automatically returned UNLIKE DTB's. The only thing you can't do is *Give/Sell* it. Although If this idea were to really catch on, technically you could Permanently Lend a book to a library/book store. And even though you still have the file on your nook, computer you wouldn't be able to open it.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
322
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 552 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: