Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Teva
0 Kudos

Library Won't Open - Called Customer Service

[ Edited ]

I don't know if there are really any threads on this issue, two days ago when I was searching feverishly for a solution, I found none.

My Nook has been working well until this new software release.  It updated Over-the-Air and now it won't allow me to open "My Library".  Everytime I try, it will "check for new content" then go right back to my home screen.

After searching forever for a solution (and finding none) I called Customer Service.

After waiting on hold for one hour, and finally speaking to a Tech - I was told it was a "known issue" with a number of the Nooks. They are working on a solution and a patch will be released at some point. No timeline and really nothing else to tell me.

I have had this issue since the update, so not sure how much longer I will have to deal with this.

1 hour hold time, 3 minute conversation - and I am stuck reading "The Iliad" again because I can't open anything else.

Don't let me down much longer B&N - Pretty Please =)

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Library Won't Open - Called Customer Service

Are you talking about your documents (side loaded content), or your B&N library?  

If its your side loaded documents, copy them off to your computer, remove them from the 

nook, (all of them).

Then eject the nook, safely remove.  shutdown, reboot and check for new content.

Then move them back a few at at time.

New User
RMD-77
0 Kudos

I also have had the problem of not being able to access my library.  Did try to Delete then reload that did not work.... HELP!!!!

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

I had the same problem with my side-loaded content.  I deleted all of the content from the my documents folder, did the eject and disconnect, turned it off and on, checked for new content and saw that all of the books were gone. Then I reconnected t he nook and re-copied my original files back to the nook, eject and disconnect, check for new content.

Make sure that when you connect that you are at the menu screen and not in my documents.

New User
SteveInDC
0 Kudos

I had this same issue, and talked to at least 3 B&N tech reps until finally - last night - I found someone who actually knew what she was doing.

She instructed me to do a series of "press and holds" on my Nook power button.  She asked me to hold the power button till the screen flickered, then continue to hold for 12 seconds, and repeat 6 times.  Then, the Nook reset itself to its original software, followed by updates with the 2 patches, and then returning to the 1.2.0 software version.

Once it reset itself, my library began to open again.  (And, this also fixed the issue with my New York Times subscription e-delivery, which was a mess until I did this last night.)

I'd talk to a B&N rep about doing this. I don't know if it fixes it everytime, but it got my Nook back into working order last night, and everything seems to be working properly now.

I still hope they come up with a patch to fix it, but I was glad to (finally) find a rep, at 10pm last night, who actually knew what she was doing.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Did you lose any content (B&N or sideloaded) when doing this reset Steve?

What do they call this reset?  Its not the same as a factory reset, since it goes all the way back to a stored copy of the original OS.  Its sort of like a bitchslap reset.

New User
SteveInDC

I did not lose any of my documents, ebooks, or anything else.  In fact, it finally downloaded my NY Times correctly, which the Nook had failed to do for 3 consecutive days.

The rep I spoke with had me do the factory reset via the Nook buttons first.  But that accomplished nothing.  Then, she said, "I'm going to have you reset it to factory settings again, but not by your settings menu."

That's when she walked me through the "manual" reset.  And it did the trick.

I have to say - I have experienced some truly **bleep**ty customer service reps at B&N - but this one really seemed to know how to work the damned Nook, inside and out.

She sat on the phone with me for 40 minutes.  She even counted the 12 second lapses for me, and kept track of each reset, until we had done it 6 times.  Then, it reset to factory settings . . . downloaded the first patch from B&N . . . and then downloaded the 1.2.0 patch.  And it came back up, powered on, and everything worked again.

I am pretty sure she called it a manual reset, but don't honestly remember.  I do, however, remember exactly what she walked me through:

Power down.

Press the power button, wait for the screen to flicker, and continue holding for 12 seconds.

Then, release the power button, and repeat the above 6 times.

Then, power the Nook back on.  And my full library returned, and could be opened.

As of today, I've had no more problems, and all of my content is still there.

New User
SteveInDC
0 Kudos

I will caution that the rep told me I may lose documents in my My Documents directory, and have to replace them.  I didn't - everything was back - but it sounded like a possibility. (I only had 1 non-BN thing in my 'My Documents directory to beginwith, so it wasn't much of a risk for me.)

The entire B&N library, though, seemed safe through the reset.

Frequent Contributor
Tisha_PA
0 Kudos

I just had this happen to me today.  My SD card was working just fine until I loaded some books on to it earlier today and now all of my documents have disappeared.  Everytime I go to my library, I get the message "checking for new content" but it only does that for a few seconds then bounces me out to my wallpaper.  I'm trying your fix now so hopefully it will work.  As of now, my nook is reinstalling the first patch 1.1.1 - so fingers crossed that this will fix my issue.  I'm right in the middle of a book from my documents and I'm going to be really angry if I have to wait for another patch to come out to finish it.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Tisha_PA wrote:

I just had this happen to me today.  My SD card was working just fine until I loaded some books on to it earlier today and now all of my documents have disappeared.  Everytime I go to my library, I get the message "checking for new content" but it only does that for a few seconds then bounces me out to my wallpaper.  I'm trying your fix now so hopefully it will work. 

This was NOT necessary.

All you had to do was to remove the last items you put on your nook.

People, please do not use a sledge hammer when a finger tap will do!!!

Frequent Contributor
Tisha_PA
0 Kudos

Well rebooting the nook didn't help me at all.  Also tried deleting the files that I had added but that didn't work either.  Deleted everything off my SD card and tried to reload a few of them and that also doesn't work.  Tried putting them directly on the nook in the my documents folder but that didn't help either.  So as of right now, I can't access any of my documents - I can only access my BN library.  This is the first problem I've had with my nook and I am not very happy right now.  Going to call BN when I get home from work and see if they can help.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Have you read this thread yet?

A solution is posted above which you haven't mentioned.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBooks-Help-Board/Library-Won-t-Open-Called-Customer-Service/...

Frequent Contributor
Tisha_PA
0 Kudos

So after playing with my nook all night last night - I think my problem is actually a corrupt file not a nook issue.  I tried deleting everything off again and then putting the books back approx 4 at  a time.   Everything was working well until I put 4 of the books on that I tried yesterday.  Then I started having issues again.  So I deleted those four and was able to put the rest of my books on - so I now have all my books back except for 4 and everything is working well.  Today I'm going to try to figure out which of the four is a bad file - I think I'm going to try loading them onto the BN ereader on my pc first to see if I can figure it out.

Contributor
tech6
0 Kudos

I tried the fix listed here and really it was very good. I appreciate the user for posting it. However, the fix may not have worked for me probably because two of my PDF files were corrupt or not compatible with the nook and the other issue was how the titles of the PDF files were named. I experimented with this and was able to "side load" several PDF files at a time but the titles cannot have any weird characters in them. For example, How_To_Use_The_Nook or The_Nook & Sony_Reader, I removed all characters from the title and was able to load the PDF files on my SD card. I didn't try it for MyDocuments. I had run out of time and patience for that. I will try it another time and post later with my results.

I had two PDF files I couldn't copy onto the SD card, but can't say why. I know some think because they are corrupt, but it has to be another reason for it.   

Contributor
tech6
0 Kudos

Updated Answer for PDF files that may be corrupt or format disagrees with Nook

I had two PDF files I couldn't copy onto the SD card, but can't say why. I know some think because they are corrupt, but it has to be another reason for it.  

Ok, on the two PDF files that were giving me trouble I used that software called Calibre to convert them to epub/PDF and then copied them back onto my device and it worked!

I can now view the PDF files that were previously corrupt or the file format they were saved in didn't agree with the Nook. I also changed the title from The Nook I and The Nook II to The Nook 1 and The Nook 2 since the Nook doesn't have a problem with numbers, but does with characters not recognized as regular text.  

Contributor
krimsonrayne
0 Kudos

Just did this, hopefully it works!

Contributor
krimsonrayne
0 Kudos

Nevermind, didn't work. =(

Contributor
PageMasterDK
0 Kudos

Good Evening,fellow Nook Owner..I just ranted about the very same thing that happened to you..I had over 120 ebooks in my documents file..tried to access these books recently and got the "checking for new content" message as well..after waitng nearly 15 minutes,it returned me to my wallpaper!..Let me know if B&N comes up with a fix for you..Hang in there!

Contributor
tech6
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok, here is my long answer I posted at another site. Try this and in order to shorten it my solutions were:

1. Calibre software to convert pdfs to e-pub

2. Removed extra characters from titles of pdfs. For example barnes-and-noble to barnes and noble or barnesandnoble

3. Removed Nook I and made it Nook 1. Nook apparently doesn't like characters, but is okay with numbers.

4. Don't place to many of the pdfs on at one time. Usually 5-1- at a time worked for me. When I tried to load more than that on, the Nook would hang and they wouldn't show.

These solutions have worked for me, but I can only load pdfs on my SD card. This Nook isn't very user friendly in my opinion. However, I'm trying to work with it. :smileyhappy:

Here's the long answer from the thread:

Here's a solution found at the Barnes And Noble Site. I also included what worked for me.

Options

02-15-2010 01:12 PM

I had this same issue, and talked to at least 3 B&N tech reps until finally - last night - I found someone who actually knew what she was doing.

She instructed me to do a series of "press and holds" on my Nook power button. She asked me to hold the power button till the screen flickered, then continue to hold for 12 seconds, and repeat 6 times. Then, the Nook reset itself to its original software, followed by updates with the 2 patches, and then returning to the 1.2.0 software version.

Once it reset itself, my library began to open again. (And, this also fixed the issue with my New York Times subscription e-delivery, which was a mess until I did this last night.)

I'd talk to a B&N rep about doing this. I don't know if it fixes it everytime, but it got my Nook back into working order last night, and everything seems to be working properly now.

I still hope they come up with a patch to fix it, but I was glad to (finally) find a rep, at 10pm last night, who actually knew what she was doing.

I did not lose any of my documents, ebooks, or anything else. In fact, it finally downloaded my NY Times correctly, which the Nook had failed to do for 3 consecutive days.

The rep I spoke with had me do the factory reset via the Nook buttons first. But that accomplished nothing. Then, she said, "I'm going to have you reset it to factory settings again, but not by your settings menu."

That's when she walked me through the "manual" reset. And it did the trick.

I have to say - I have experienced some truly **bleep**ty customer service reps at B&N - but this one really seemed to know how to work the damned Nook, inside and out.

She sat on the phone with me for 40 minutes. She even counted the 12 second lapses for me, and kept track of each reset, until we had done it 6 times. Then, it reset to factory settings . . . downloaded the first patch from B&N . . . and then downloaded the 1.2.0 patch. And it came back up, powered on, and everything worked again.

I am pretty sure she called it a manual reset, but don't honestly remember. I do, however, remember exactly what she walked me through:

Power down.

Press the power button, wait for the screen to flicker, and continue holding for 12 seconds.

Then, release the power button, and repeat the above 6 times.

Then, power the Nook back on. And my full library returned, and could be opened.

As of today, I've had no more problems, and all of my content is still there.

I will caution that the rep told me I may lose documents in my My Documents directory, and have to replace them. I didn't - everything was back - but it sounded like a possibility. (I only had 1 non-BN thing in my 'My Documents directory to begin with, so it wasn't much of a risk for me.) The entire B&N library, though, seemed safe through the reset. ***The only thing I lost was my profile information and registration. I had to input my information again onto the device.

*****************************************************************************************

My Solution

I tried the fix listed here and really it was very good. I appreciate the user for posting it. However, the fix may not have worked for me probably because two of my PDF files were corrupt or not compatible with the nook and the other issue was how the titles of the PDF files were named. I experimented with this and was able to "side load" several PDF files at a time but the titles cannot have any weird characters in them. For example, How_To_Use_The_Nook or The_Nook & Sony_Reader, I removed all characters from the title and was able to load the PDF files on my SD card. I didn't try it for MyDocuments. I had run out of time and patience for that. I will try it another time and post later with my results.

I had two PDF files I couldn't copy onto the SD card, but can't say why. I know some think because they are corrupt, but it has to be another reason for it. Ok, on the two PDF files that were giving me trouble I used that software called Calibre to convert them to epub/PDF and then copied them back onto my device and it worked! I can now view the PDF files that were previously corrupt or the file format they were saved in didn't agree with the Nook. I also changed the title from The Nook I and The Nook II to The Nook 1 and The Nook 2 since the Nook doesn't have a problem with numbers, but does with characters not recognized as regular text.

You can find the forum here: http://nooktalk.net/discussion-forums/7-hardware-questions/1124-pdfs-dont-show-in-my-documents-or-on...

HTH

Janice

New User
LennonFan
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot!!! Same thing happened to me with my nook and I followed your instructions :smileyhappy: Got my library back

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 347 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: