Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
gym101
0 Kudos

Re: Lines across screen, bottom-left corner does not work

i got my nook as a gift in 2010 christmas and i dont think they will replace it for me. What do i do now?

New User
bbmomma2
0 Kudos

Good luck with your replacement.  I just ordered our 2nd replacement because of the same issue.  Both times it was the bottom left quadrant that went bad.  We were very careful with it. 

However, this time customer service gave me a hard time about replacing as it had been 3 months since we got the 1st replacement even though I had purchased the extended warranty with the original unit for another $40.  High price for a warranty if you ask me, and then to say that it is void once you get your first replacement?  Wow.  The second one lasted less time than the first unit before going bad, and we always keep it in the cover.  No marks on the screen either.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about how long this one will last. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

bbmomma2 wrote:

Good luck with your replacement.  I just ordered our 2nd replacement because of the same issue.  Both times it was the bottom left quadrant that went bad.  We were very careful with it. 

However, this time customer service gave me a hard time about replacing as it had been 3 months since we got the 1st replacement even though I had purchased the extended warranty with the original unit for another $40.  High price for a warranty if you ask me, and then to say that it is void once you get your first replacement?  Wow.  The second one lasted less time than the first unit before going bad, and we always keep it in the cover.  No marks on the screen either.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about how long this one will last. 

Every Nook has a one year warranty for manufacturing defects.There is no limit on the number of replacements in the first year as long as they are manufacturing defects.If the person you are dealing with tells you differently than they are the wrong person to be dealing with. The extended warranty covers user damage once.

New User
Rebecca_Nash
0 Kudos

This is so frustrating.  I seriously read my nook on saturday set it down on coffee table and opened it 2 days later and had the same problem with left corner like someone stepped on it.   I live alone have no pets or kids so not like anyone even touched it. The lady at the store said this isn't a common problem but seems like it is.  She said maybe i push hard when i turn pages which isnt true and basically its just died.  So I didnt get the extended warranty figured if it breaks it's in 1st year but 17 months later it did figures!  Basically they let you get the nook simple touch for $50 or nook color for $100.  Which I guess isn't too bad.  Just sucks that it breaks even when you do take special care of it. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Rebecca_Nash wrote:

This is so frustrating.  I seriously read my nook on saturday set it down on coffee table and opened it 2 days later and had the same problem with left corner like someone stepped on it.   I live alone have no pets or kids so not like anyone even touched it. The lady at the store said this isn't a common problem but seems like it is.  She said maybe i push hard when i turn pages which isnt true and basically its just died.  So I didnt get the extended warranty figured if it breaks it's in 1st year but 17 months later it did figures!  Basically they let you get the nook simple touch for $50 or nook color for $100.  Which I guess isn't too bad.  Just sucks that it breaks even when you do take special care of it. 

Sorry for you, Mine is heading towrds 3 years old still works fine. Electronics do fail.

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

I have 2 ne1s and have had 3 replacements total. 2 fails occurred within 1 year and the third at just under 2 years. I would classify it as a common occurrence. Same fail symptom, lines in the left hand bottom corner that ran horizontal and vertical. Two were replaced under warranty ...one I'll get a discount on a new product.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

moogs wrote:
I have 2 ne1s and have had 3 replacements total. 2 fails occurred within 1 year and the third at just under 2 years. I would classify it as a common occurrence. Same fail symptom, lines in the left hand bottom corner that ran horizontal and vertical. Two were replaced under warranty ...one I'll get a discount on a new product.

Unfortunately for the people this happens to, it sucks but as an overall percentage it is negligible. There are millions of Nooks that have no problems at all. The problem only seems great because of concentrated complaints and naturally when it happens to you, your opinion will be different from the majority. 

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

Having one would be a normal occurence, two would be unusual, three , from different time periods is an extraordinary amount of failures with such a simple device. No I didn't speak to the millions of owners to see the failure rate but I can tell you that three units failing with one individual signifies that something is screwed up with quality control. Now I'm not unhappy with b & n, they stood behind the devices and having the extended warranty helped but geez!
Contributor
kaspe_r
0 Kudos

So, similar thing just happened to my 2+ year old Nook...about 1/4 of the screen (bottom left) is stuck on the screen saver image.

Tried all the resets, no luck.  I assume that I am screwed? Anybody actually have an e-ink display issue that was fixed somehow?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 230 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: