Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

Lines across screen, bottom-left corner does not work

My screen has just started displaying lines that run across the whole length of the screen vertically and horizontally.  On top of that, there's a big portion of the bottom left corner of the screen that does not refresh at all or show anything.  I've been most careful with my reader and has never dropped it.  I've examined it carefully, just to make sure, and there are no cracks or damage to it  that would have caused it.  Is it something particular to all nooks that BN should be aware of?

Would BN support staff be so kind to guide me through and let me know what can be done?

Thanks!

B&N Bookseller
DariaJane
0 Kudos

Re: Lines across screen, bottom-left corner does not work

Sounds like you've just got a faulty eInk screen.  I would call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK, option 2, to get yourself a replacement.  From what I hear, they're great about replacing defective units.

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

Forgot to add, the screen does not erase previous screens (text/imeages/etc.) either.  It's a shame, I really like the device.  Indeed, I hope I receive good service when I call.

Inspired Correspondent
njnookman
0 Kudos

I presume you mean the reading screen, not the touch screen.

My advice would be to progress through the reset stages, and see if the problem persists:

1.  Try a "hard reset".... as described in the users' guide, hold down the power for 20 seconds, release it, wait a few seconds, then try it again.

If this does not solve the problem, use the "reset to factory settings" option:

A.  Unregister your nook (you will not lose any of your purchased content from B&N, but you WILL lose sideloaded personal content in nook's main memory -- be sure to back this up on your PC)

B.  Choose "settings==>device>reset to factory conditions" and OK the choice.

Nook will reset itself to baseline, then will reload.  You will have to re-register with your account's email and password.

At the end of this process, you should see the lines disappear.  If not, you may have a faulty screen, and should call 1-800-THE-BOOK to arrange for further diagnoses, or an exchange, if necessary.

By performing the reset first, you will have gone through the first stages of what tech support will have asked you to do to clear the problem anyway.  Beyond that, however, they will either talk you through advanced diagnostics to identify the problem, or exchange your nook if necessary.

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

Thank you for suggesting all these steps! 

Unfortunately, I had no luck even after I rebooted it several tmes, upgraded to 1.4, reset to factory settings.  Nothing did help my poor Nook screen.

Calling them tomorrow. 

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

Called tech support, was instructed to take the battery out and connect it via USB cable.  Didn't have cable with me.  Will retry tomorrow, if all fails, the unit will be replaced.  I hope.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Cable and Battery seem like wild goose chases to me.

If the  nook runs and is not out of battery, you have a bad screen and a replacement is needed.

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

I agree with your assessment, but as long as they ask, I will do whatever neccessary for them to replace it. 

Not that it even should matter, but I've heard others discussing screen microfractures on their Nooks.  I've examined mine and nothing is even remotely there.  Plus, the unit has never been dropped.  I'm just curious however, how can I protect myself from them saying it's cracked, when I know it's not. 

Now, it's not that I don't trust B&N...  We've all been burned a few times in our lives to believe in miracles.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

digibrarian wrote:

I'm just curious however, how can I protect myself from them saying it's cracked, when I know it's not. 

I'd cross that bridge when you get there, but B&N has been very good about standing behind the product.  e-ink failures are a known issue with this technology, and they are covered by warranty. 

In the absence of any obvious abuse damage (broken glass) they are simply going to cross-ship you a new one.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@digibrarian,

Please let us know if your issue was resolved.

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

Not yet...  calling now. 

Tried with the battery removed and plugged into a power source, Nook would not respond at all. Holding the power button did not even bring it up to life.

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

Whew...  Pretty much painless process.  Due to high volume of calls I ended up being on the phone for 40 minutes, but to give B&N credit, I didn't really expect them to be open at 8PM CST / 9 ET!  The tech was very courteous and helpful.

My Nook is going to be replaced.  The only thing now, I'm really, really worried about another one breaking so unexpectedly. I hope it's just a fluke, and my new one will last me longer than 2 months.  

Thank you for B&N for being so professional.

Frequent Contributor
SeaDogMJ
0 Kudos

Ok this does not sound good. I have been trying to decide on a Nook or Kindle. I had made up my mind to buy the Nook WI-FI version after checking out the Nook at a best buy store today. My wife has a kindle and has no issues with it after many months of use. But I like the idea of the replacable Battery and SD card expansion.  Also  the 149.00 price. But post  like this scare me away. Is there a durability issue with the Nook?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

SeaDogMJ wrote:

Ok this does not sound good. I have been trying to decide on a Nook or Kindle. I had made up my mind to buy the Nook WI-FI version after checking out the Nook at a best buy store today. My wife has a kindle and has no issues with it after many months of use. But I like the idea of the replacable Battery and SD card expansion.  Also  the 149.00 price. But post  like this scare me away. Is there a durability issue with the Nook?

Ah, go surf the Kindle boards.  This happens to kindle too.  

Do you know why?

Because the use the exact same e-Ink screen module from the exact same manufacturer.

These things occasionally die (usually infant mortality), and they get covered under warranty.

Frequent Contributor
SeaDogMJ
0 Kudos

Ok just curious no reason to get testy my first post all ready a wise guy.  No I don't think I will surf the Kindle boards. I think I will go a head with my original thought to buy the Nook WI- Fi version.

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

Indeed, it seems like a problem with all of the manufacturers.  E-ink may not be a final solution, but it is the only option right now for easy-for-your-eyes, non-back-lit displays . Given the fact that B&N and Amazon honor their warranties and replace faulty units relatively painlessly, I would give it a try.  My only wish, I hope they make ereaders more durable soon enough, so people could truly use these devices everywhere, just like iPhones, without worrying to death about breaking the screen by just breathing on it :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

SeaDogMJ wrote:

Don't forget that it is a problem which usually causes someone to search a product's forums.  Many happy owners never even think to check them out.  Others come to find out answers, give out answers, or just plain share their experiences with the rest of the community.

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, my conversation with Nook support a few moments ago left me feeling uneasy :smileysad:

As I described, my nook just quit working, the screen went completely unusable one day, with lines all over, not refreshing, etc. Having done all that the B&N tech support asked me, the only thing left was to send it back for replacement.

My Nook was brand new!  I barely used it!  So, I didn't like the fact that it broke so early on.

Nothing that would have caused any damage ever happened to my ereader!  I've been most careful with it, having spent close to $300 on it, I considered it a long time invesment. 

I RMA'ed it earlier this week, and received a new one today. 

However, I just received an email from B&N asking me to call them back.  They were claiming the screen was cracked.  WHAT A BUNCH OF LIES!!!

I've heard other people on this board talking about it, but hey, I thought something like that would not happen to me.  I shipped my old Nook via UPS store, and they packaged it better than anyone ever could!  It was in a sturdy container, wrapped in bubble wrap, and floatng in a "tub" of plastic peanuts.

Theer's NO WAY it could get damaged in shipping either.

So, here I am, silly me, bought my wife a Nook too last weekend.  A second one for this household.  Heard of customer loyalty, B&N?!?  Should I return it to avoid any more of this baloney from your support.

I was told my case has been moved up to corporate.  Somehow, I have very little hope in resolving this case to my satisfaction. 

It just makes me mad that someone can lie so easily, claiming the screen was cracked...  My sreen was not broken when I shipped it to B&N, the unit was nothing but new. 

B&N, is it your way of deflecting all the claims lately?

Anyway, I was told to wait another week.  If any of the staff ever check this board, my Nook number is ***0035.

Should I return both units now and go get myself a Kobo, or Sony?

New User
TCKyo
0 Kudos

So, what happened. Did they replace it?

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

They did!  I worried too much, I guess.  At the end, there were no extra charges, everything got replaced.

I also heard that the early shipments of Nooks (gen 1) were faulty due to error in manufacturing, which made some parts very brittle.  This problem was discovered and fixed. 

I've been a very happy user. :smileyhappy:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:47 members 432 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: