Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
ChristyAnneBee
0 Kudos

MY NOOK STOPPED WORKING A MONTH OUT OF WARRANTY!

[ Edited ]

I am so incredibly frustrated!  For the past month I have done everything imaginable to get this nook working again. It froze on the low battery screen, and won't do anything at all now.  After talking to customer service over the phone, and in person at my local Barnes and Noble, they have told me there is nothing they can do because it stopped working a month out of warranty...Only a month!  I spent 150 dollars on this, and expect it to work for more than a year and a month!  One of the girls in the store even had the audacity to ask me if I wanted to buy a newer one because they are "only $90 now".  I've tried removing the battery, and pushing on the power button for 20 seconds at a time, 6 times...still nothing.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I've bought 3 nooks in the past year (one for myself, my husband, and my mother in law), and this is the only one that is over a year old.    To be honest, I'm shocked that B&N refuses to do anything for me.  It is now a year and 2 months out of warranty as I've been trying to get help on it for the past month to no avail.  Are there any tips or tricks from anyone in this group that might be used on the Nook 1st edition?  The charging light on the bottom won't even illuminate now unless the battery is out of the device(I have tried the battery from my husband's and my own in the unresponsive nook).

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Re: MY NOOK STOPPED WORKING A MONTH OUT OF WARRANTY!

That's the risk we took when we don't buy the extended warranty.

Over the course of several decades I've bought dozens of electronic devices thay only had nimety day warranty. Twelve months for the included warranty isn't really that short. Many of those items work for a decade of more, but a few didn't.

New User
ChristyAnneBee
0 Kudos

I understand that.  The other 2 Nooks that were purchased actually do have the extended warranty, but this first one that was bought before the others; I didn't even think about it.  12 months is a very nice time, but to have my Nook stop working only a month after?  Very frustrating.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Minor compared to having an automobile I had purchased new three weeks earlier hit hard in the rear by a much heavier vehicle (fortunately I wasn't injured). Were you aware that replacements for plastic interior panels are sometimes offered in a significantly narrower choice of colors than are available to the assembly line? When cargo in a vehicle like a van or SUV scuffs a panel that's molded out of the same color plastic all the way trough the marks aren't very obtrusive. Not so much when the panel was formed out of a contrasting color and painted to match the rest of the vehicle interior.

With all that it took two months for the body shop at a manufacturer's dealer to fix the car. The other driver's insurer wasn't very enthusiastic about paying for my rental that long. Some of that delay was the result of a second round of waiting for parts after additional damage was discovered (after the initial wait for parts and actual repairs started).

I don't know if other manufacturers have similar restrictions on replacement parts, but I've gone nearly thirty years without buying another vehicle made by that manufacturer.

Correspondent
Byteguy

Sorry to hear that... but WHERE do you draw the line?  31 days after a year?  35 days?

I had an expensive watch fail 2 days BEFORE the end of the warrenty (wheh).  Things go both ways.

How much value have you gotten out of the Nook in a year?  You've now spent a month of your time being upset and trying to get a different answer.  How much is your time worth?

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

I was going to ask if you've talked to your local store, but then I re-read your post and saw you did not have an experience there that provided a solution.

All I can say is that service can vary greatly from store to store. (Not that I'm suggesting shopping your issue around.) In my case, I had the infamous cracked bezel problems at around the 18 month mark. My store replaced my N1E/3G with a brand new unit, no problem.

Knowing this doesn't help with your problem & dissatisfaction, I know. (If anything, it could add fuel to the fire.)

I just point it out for the conversation, so that people are aware that B&N isn't always so hardline about the warranty.

I also point it out so that, if any of the board moderators come across this, they may want to consider passing along the issue that there are broad variations in how stores handle warranty issues. Admittedly, any exceptions to a warranty must be made on a case-by-case basis that encompass numerous factors.

But too often I see these examples of 100% policy/warranty adherence in some stores vs. stores that truly go above and beyond. Part of choosing a company like B&N is knowing I should be able to walk into any store and receive the same level of service. This is demonstrably not the case.

B&N needs to improve their consistency. Whether that means your store becomes more liberal in their enforcement or mine more restrictive, the point is defining a service standard and sticking to it in all stores.

New User
tmhite
0 Kudos

Yep! I have had mine for a year and  2 months, and the same thing has happened to mine. I would not recommend a nook to anyone. I enjoyed it while it was working, but it seems they have a limited life to them.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I'll have had mine 2 years come January and it's still going strong with no problems whatsover with it.  And I read on it every day.  I know quite a few people who've had theirs between a year and 2 years and none of them are having problems either.  So there are people out there with Nooks that are working just fine after more than a year and half.  

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 158 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: