Contributor
dcq2
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

[ Edited ]

One comment about the fictionwise formats. 

Secure mobipocket format books do not work on nook.

I'm intent on reading the entire series of Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich, and fictionwise sells them all.  But, three of the books in the series (High Five, Hot Six, and Seven Up) are only available in mobipocket format

I emailed their customer service department regarding compatibility.  Their response:

"Hi, The Secure Mobipocket format will not work on the Nook.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Andy
Fictionwise Support Team"

I asked why they couldn't provide the books in a format that worked on nook.  Their response:

"We will do our best to pass your interests on to our publishing partners, however,
please understand that we have only a small degree of control over what titles are
offered as eReader e-books.  The publisher makes those decisions and makes the books
available to us for sale to consumers like you.  Just like you might find that a
book at your local paper bookstore is available in hardcover but not paperback.  The
publisher controls what formats are produced, not the bookstore management.

Your best way to influence what titles a publisher selects for release in eReader
format is to write the publisher and the author (who also has small amount of
control over this decision) and let them know that you prefer to buy your books as
eReader editions rather than as dead tree books.  We've been telling the publishers
this for years, but the more that they hear from real live consumers the quicker
they will get the message.

Best Regards,

Andy
Fictionwise Support Team"

I emailed both the author and the publisher, asking them to become more e-book friendly.  So far, no response.

Anyway, I ended up purchasing the three missing books in the series in the secure mobipocket format, and am currently reading them on my laptop & blackberry storm, as they work on both devices.

It is sad to see my nook sitting idle, and not nearly as fun to read on the laptop or smartphone, but I have a "thing" about reading all books in a series, in order. 

~ Here's to hoping that the e-book world becomes better and better, as I love, love, love my nook!

Addendum: I was hopeful to use calibre to convert the mobipocket format to a format that would work on the nook.  But, with each book calibre gave me an error message regarding the DRM protection on the files.  Therefore, I was unable to convert them.

Frequent Contributor
barker12
0 Kudos

Sorry Frog I cant find the PM Button ( I must be blind) But Thanks anyway

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

@dElaphant,

If you didn't catch it, I would have spent the same money at BN for the same books and wouldn't have the rebates available to more even more, my $210 sitting in Fictionwise is an investment, pure and simple (with a better return than anything in the market right now) and I don't know anyone that would just walk away from it, again, that would just be stupid.  Sure, I can't get "cash" for it, but I don't want cash for it and we all know the score going in, I do want books and I'm pretty sure that is the only reason anyone would shop there.

I don't see the rebates as a "flaw" in the system, it's all spelled out right from the beginning, obviously you don't like the company for some reason, but it's been great for me and can be for anyone that does their due diligence and spends a little time researching, I research anything I buy.

This really just seems to be an argument for arguments sake.

I'm off to spend the money on books....

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

barker12 wrote:

Sorry Frog I cant find the PM Button ( I must be blind) But Thanks anyway

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/233687

Click on the link, on the right hand side of the page you will find a "Contact" box, the PM button is there.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

@dcq2

Oh that is not nice, I'm like you and like to read and reread series in order!  If you google for a mobi drm crack, it's out there and once you follow the instructions Calibre will let you convert them.

Contributor
agengr2004
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Alley415 wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

@dElaphant, if you read the thread you will see this isn't the scenario we are discussing. 

The 100% credits make you money, period, if you've looked at any of the purchases I've posted you could see that.  As a CPA, I stand behind my numbers.

As to walking away from money, well you could do that with your bank account also, but It would be stupid to do so.

This thread has been about how to benefit from the system, and believe me, many of us have.

But, you do have to agree that in order to save money with Fictionwise you have to be selective in purchasing and truly research pricing before you buy.  For example. I purchased Under the Dome for $7.20 from Amazon while Fictionwise had It for $20 with $20 credits.  I still have $12.80 available to spend if I purchase using Amazon but $20 if I purchased from Fictionwise.  Then look at pricing...if I want books that are equally as expensive at Fictionwise as UTD, then I will continue to use that up each time with no guarantee that they will always have 100% credits attached.  Whereas, I can pick them up more cheaply at Amazon.  It truly depends on what you want and how the prices compare.

I can't remember if It was this thread or not but someone spoke of purchasing the Sookie series from Fictionwise.  They totaled nearly double at Fictionwise than B&N or Amazon.  It is in situations like this that I think buying Fictionwise just to get credits is a bad idea.  Use Fictionwise to buy titles that are the same cost at B&N and then truly save money.

You just have to be selective in what you purchase.  I on the other hand, purchased Under the Dome from Fictionwise for $20 and used my $20 worth of rebates to purchase 3 other books with prices comparable to Amazon/BN, so I got 4 books for $20 at fictionwise that would have cost me around $25 at the other two.

ETA: I also got rebates on the other books I purchased so I still have money in my micropay account off of my original $20.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

@agengr2004

You get it!  It's really not so hard to understand.

I had a few books left in my wishlist that had the 100% rebate, since the 15% coupon for this weekend is good on those books (less cash outlay for me) I ordered them.  I paid $108 for those books and received a $120 credit, I'm already ahead!

Went ahead and used some of my credits (15% coupon also good on these books) next, I like shopping, result now compared to B&N:

Paid to Fictionwise: $447.82 (Including the Buywise membership)

Credits Remaining to be spent:  $292.95

Net Cost (66 Books and Membership): $154.87

B&N Cost for the Same 66 Books: $449.69

The microrebates are like having a store credit or gift card anywhere, I love it.

I look at it this way:

If I shop the grocery ads for milk and Safeway has it for $2/gallon while Albertson's has it for $3 but they are giving me a $1.50 gift card for spending the $3 which do you think I would go with????

As long as it's something you plan on purchasing over and over, it's crazy not to go for it.

Contributor
waggingdogs
0 Kudos

greetings & salutations~

i have been looking at fictionwise and the savings one can receive if they check the prices on other sites & check / factor in the rebates etc!  :smileyvery-happy:

i was wondering which format you all suggest for use on the nook?  i did not want to get a great deal,but then have something that does not work as well on my new nook.

please help me with the benefit of your experience and thanks a bunch! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
agengr2004
0 Kudos

waggingdogs wrote:

greetings & salutations~

i have been looking at fictionwise and the savings one can receive if they check the prices on other sites & check / factor in the rebates etc!  :smileyvery-happy:

i was wondering which format you all suggest for use on the nook?  i did not want to get a great deal,but then have something that does not work as well on my new nook.

please help me with the benefit of your experience and thanks a bunch! :smileyhappy:

I get the secure ereader format, which has given me an extra 5% micropay rebate.  The books format good and look like all the other books I've downloaded.  The only problem I've had is that one title won't load properly in the file listing.  It shows up as F5!, I don't know why it does that, but the rest of them have loaded the file names fine.

Contributor
waggingdogs
0 Kudos

thanks so much for the info  :smileyhappy:

if the secure ereader format is not available, is the next best choice the secure adobe epub? 

Contributor
agengr2004
0 Kudos

Yep, that's what I would go for.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

The thing is most people who bought a nook want a lot of books to read on it.  If you are a person who only buys 1 or 2 books every now and then, Fictionwise probably isn't for you.  You might find it hard to get your money's worth out of it.

But for the book-obsessed amongst us, the problem is not finding enough books to buy, it's having money left over at the end of the buying spree.  With Fictionwise, if a book is a bestseller or a truly new release that I want and it costs more than elsewhere, I will buy it if it has the really big rebate that offsets the high price, because I know I will buy other books with the rebate credits.  I also buy the secure ereader format because that always gives 5% in micropay rebates and works with nook.  I try to avoid an outlay of cash on higher cost books that have no rebate attached, but will buy if it's in a series and can't be gotten elsewhere or if it is one I really really want and can't get it elsewhere.

Of course, you have to know and compare what the books cost elsewhere.  I just see that if a book costs $20 at FW but has a 100% rebate and know that there are all kinds of other books I will buy there, it's a no brainer.  Sure, without the rebate I probably wouldn't buy the book, but I am not so gullible as to believe it's not a come on.  It's up to me to decide whether I work it, or it works me.  In retail, there's the term loss leader, it's what's in the ads you get in the mail.  They lose money or don't make much profit on it.  It gets you in the door.  If you want to buy it, they hope you will also purchase more expensive items that may go with it that have a high profit margin.  Savvy buyers will get the cheap item, but steer clear of what they really want to sell.  Do you always buy the suggested item at McDonald's?  It's their high profit item. 

I don't know why FW would be any different.  You buy what you want, what you see has a good price, you build up the rebates, make them work for you.  The average cost for me on the books I have gotten is less than half what I would have paid elsewhere.  Some of the books I've gotten weren't available anywhere else.  I have bought a lot of books at B&N too and will continue to buy from both.  I weigh final cost, convenience, and availability with the purchases I make.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
Tisha_PA
0 Kudos

I have a spreadsheet I keep for my purchases as well and so far my cash outlay for books at Fictionwise is approx $175.  If I buy those same books at BN, I would pay $177.  Plus I still have $125 of rebates left at Fictionwise for future book purchases as well as the $10 I get for an ebook through my membership.  I think the microrebates are great!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Tisha_PA wrote:

I have a spreadsheet I keep for my purchases as well and so far my cash outlay for books at Fictionwise is approx $175.  If I buy those same books at BN, I would pay $177.  Plus I still have $125 of rebates left at Fictionwise for future book purchases as well as the $10 I get for an ebook through my membership.  I think the microrebates are great!

LOL  Isn't it fun?  I love my spreadsheet, it just keeps growning as my price per book goes down when I use the rebates...

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Just to let her fans know, Janet Evanovich books are ALL at 100% rebate right now...

Also, Valentines 45% Sale:

"Valentine's Day is almost here and Romance titles are some of our most popular eBooks. So what does that mean? A Valentine's Romance Sale!

From now through February 14th at Midnight, every MultiFormat Romance/Erotica/Fantasy/Dark Fantasy eBook is discounted 45% while every Secure Romance/Erotica/Fantasy/Dark Fantasy eBook receives a 45% Micropay rebate! Start shopping now."

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Can anyone possibly tell me HOW to transfer from the pc to my nook?

I am at a complete loss.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Jenniisme wrote:

Can anyone possibly tell me HOW to transfer from the pc to my nook?

I am at a complete loss.

First, make sure the books are downloaded to your PC and you know where they are.

Next, hook the nook up to the computer (USB cable) and move the books from the file you downloaded them to into the "My Documents" folder on the nook.  If you have added the books to Calibre, you can use that program to upload the books.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Thanks! i actually managed to download a couple of books this way. I've now got my friend interested in fictionwise as well. It's a great site!

As for calibre...I haven't quite figured it out yet. But I will! I've even gotten a library card to download ebooks.

I must say, even with some of the little glitches..I am pleased I got the nook over the kindle.

Correspondent
Perry_Mason

[ Edited ]

If you bought 27 books for $225 that's $8.33 per book, not $1.   My average in the Amazon store for my Kindle (pre Nook) was less than $8 a book.  Credits or not I don't see how you are saving money with them.

Real life example.  I'm getting ready to buy The 8th Confession by James Patterson.  Fictionwise's regular price is $27.79, their club price is $23.79.  Now compare that to the Kindle Store's everyday price of $9.99 and B&N at $13.99.  The savings is in not buying from them.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Perry_Mason wrote:

If you bought 27 books for $225 that's $8.33 per book, not $1.   My average in the Amazon store for my Kindle (pre Nook) was less than $8 a book.  Credits or not I don't see how you are saving money with them.

Real life example.  I'm getting ready to buy The 8th Confession by James Patterson.  Fictionwise's regular price is $27.79, their club price is $23.79.  Now compare that to the Kindle Store's everyday price of $9.99 and B&N at $13.99.  The savings is in not buying from them.

I have no idea who you are responding to, but my "real world" experience is this:

64 books gross (ignoring remaining credits) is an average of $6.99 per book

64 books net (counting my ~ $300 in remaining credits) is an average of $2.41 per book

So yeah, I'll take Fictionwise gladly!  The key to using it is just like anything else, study and research, make the right decisions and it can work for anyone, especially if you enjoy the NYT bestsellers.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:54 members 454 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: