Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Perry_Mason
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

Let's see, I first pay $29.99 to have the privilege to buying a book for $27.99 that everybody else sells for $9.99 so I can get some credits to apply on future purchases of these $27.99 books.  Real math says I just paid $57.98 for a $9.99 book and I don't care how many credits I get to apply against future purchases, at their insanely high prices, it's still a ripoff anyway you cut the pie.  

Frequent Contributor
lparsons21
0 Kudos

Except that for the most part, you don't have to become a 'member' to get the credits.  I've got a fair amount of credit with them and haven't 'joined' at all.  Bottom line is that I'll end up spending less per book unless I get terminally stupid in what I buy to start with.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Perry_Mason wrote:

Let's see, I first pay $29.99 to have the privilege to buying a book for $27.99 that everybody else sells for $9.99 so I can get some credits to apply on future purchases of these $27.99 books.  Real math says I just paid $57.98 for a $9.99 book and I don't care how many credits I get to apply against future purchases, at their insanely high prices, it's still a ripoff anyway you cut the pie.  

Well you don't get it, probably never will.  Most of the books I use my credits on are priced about the same as Amazon....  As a CPA, I get it.  It's a much better investment than anything on Wall Street for me right now, but I purchase A LOT of books.

Real math equates to real money for me and I'm saving a lot of it!

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

Question:

Can you use whatever credits you have available on books that don't have a "rebate" label next to it? Or can you only use your credits for books that have the rebate label next to it?

Also, do you get credit for *any* books you purchase? i.e. If the book you buy does not have a "rebate" label next to it, do you get micropay credit for that book without the "rebate" label?

Frequent Contributor
pidgeon92
0 Kudos

jynclr wrote:

Question:

A) Can you use whatever credits you have available on books that don't have a "rebate" label next to it? Or can you only use your credits for books that have the rebate label next to it?

B) Also, do you get credit for *any* books you purchase? i.e. If the book you buy does not have a "rebate" label next to it, do you get micropay credit for that book without the "rebate" label?

A: whatever micropay rebate credits you get can be applied to any book on the website.

B: You only get micropay rebate credits for books that say they are rebated.

That said, you do get a 5% micropay rebate credit on any ebooks purchased in the secure ereader format, and you get a 10% micropay rebate credit for any credit card purchase about $100 (and 15% for any purchase above $200).

New User
MBReads
0 Kudos

I have tried to download a Fictionwise purchase to my Nook to no avail. Can anyone suggest a tip or two to download?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

You have to download the Fictionwise purchase to your computer, then sideload it into My Documents on the Nook.  

If you don't know how to do it already, page 126 of the guide explains connecting/disconnecting your Nook to your computer via USB.  

Your computer should recognize the Nook as a drive.  

You would then copy your Fictionwise book from your computer to the My Documents folder on the Nook. Eject the Nook drive properly.

Turn on the Nook, go into the My Documents section and your book should be there.  You may have to select Check for New Content if you don't see it.

You cannot place the Fictionwise book in "my B&N downloads."

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

Even though the discussion has been gone for almost a month, i am new and figured i would put in my 2 cents(considering it took me 2 minutes to see how to game the system). Say I wanted to read "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell". I go to fictionwise.com and it is $11.90, so I price check B&N and it is $9.90. But at FW i get $11.90 is "credit", so I look at it like this, i spend $2.00 dollars, to make $9.90 in credit. That is just good sense because that $2.00 spent on B&N in no way would make you another almost $10.00.

What I have come to the conclusion of is that, FW is not for every book purchase...it is for purchases that you find "on sale". After browsing their rebate section i found that i could spend about $45.00 dollars and make that same back in credit. At B&N those same purchases were just under $40.00 dollars. So essentially I spent $5.00 to make what I would have spent at B&N, so I can turn around and buy more books!

Frequent Contributor
Saneless
0 Kudos

I agree not every purchase works, but some do.

Just preordered a book yesterday and it was $17 at FW.  Though it was 14 at amazon, it was $19 at B&N.  That made it easy.  Couple that up with the $6 something in rebates, FW made the most sense.

Other times, I've gotten a book at FW that was maybe a buck or two more but a full rebate.  If you take a look at it, let's say I get a $15 NYT Bestseller so it's 100% rebate.  I spent $15 on one book and 0 on a second bestseller (also 15).  Now I have 2 books for 7.50.  The best deal I'd possibly ever get at Amazon or B&N is $10 apiece.  So for 2 books I just saved $5.  If I only got 1 book, sure, I'd get burned 5.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Oh I hate that, it's not the booksellers, it's the publisher.  They are really bad about Nora Roberts books and doing this.

The worst is yet to come, there are two "new" books coming out by her:

Hot Rocks

Big Jack

OR you can just buy the original book!

Remember When (In Death Series)

Each book is $6.39!  Let's see, do I want to buy two books or one?  Should I pay double or not????

This one is grossly unfair.

Reading this post makes me a little ill :smileyhappy:   I've been buying my books at B&N (but that's mostly because I have a MyPoints membership, so I get 10-12 points for every dollar I spend and can trade points in for free stuff (like a $25 B&N gift card)) because I wasn't really sure about Fictionwise and ereader.com. However, I did see that Nora Roberts/JD Robb had these two "new" books out and the synposes made me interested enough to buy them. Finding out that those two books were already one book - not to mention it's part of a series that I recently became interested in checking out - makes me want to scream.

This thread is somewhat helpful to me because it's explaining Fictionwise. Unfortunately, the more I read the more confused I become -- yikes! -- because I'm still so unfamiliar with the ebook downloading process from sources other than B&N.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Downloading EPUB

[ Edited ]
JoanieGranola wrote:

I'm still so unfamiliar with the ebook downloading process from sources other than B&N.

For EPUB without DRM (copy protection), just download it to your computer and sideload it onto your Nook.

One-time setup for Adobe EPUB:

For Adobe EPUB, you need Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your computer. You'll also need an Adobe account to go with it. Active/authorize ADE on your computer with your Adobe account. Note: I recommend that a family share a single Adobe account. That way you can trade e-books. Adobe lets you have six computers and either five or six (reports vary) devices like the nook on a single account.

Downloading Adobe EPUB:

Now click the download link for Adobe EPUB. If you're asked whether to save or to run ADE, you want to run ADE. I recommend checking the box that says "always do this for this type of file". ADE will then interact with the server and download an EPUB that is locked for your Adobe account.

With ADE running, plug in your nook. It should pop up in the left column of the ADE window. Drag and drop your new e-book to the nook icon. The very first time you do this, it will ask if you want to authorize the nook, and you do.

The e-book is now on your nook. All you need to do is to get the nook to see it. If the nook wasn't in My Documents when you plugged it in, ejecting the nook is supposed to be enough. If that doesn't work, try "Check for new content". If that doesn't work, turn your nook all the way off (5-second push on the 'off' button) and restart it.

In short:

Once everything's set up and running, it's just "click the download button, the e-book will download into ADE, plug in the nook, drag-and-drop the e-book from ADE to the nook, eject the nook."

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

JoanieGranola wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

Reading this post makes me a little ill :smileyhappy:   I've been buying my books at B&N (but that's mostly because I have a MyPoints membership, so I get 10-12 points for every dollar I spend and can trade points in for free stuff (like a $25 B&N gift card)) because I wasn't really sure about Fictionwise and ereader.com. However, I did see that Nora Roberts/JD Robb had these two "new" books out and the synposes made me interested enough to buy them. Finding out that those two books were already one book - not to mention it's part of a series that I recently became interested in checking out - makes me want to scream.

This thread is somewhat helpful to me because it's explaining Fictionwise. Unfortunately, the more I read the more confused I become -- yikes! -- because I'm still so unfamiliar with the ebook downloading process from sources other than B&N.

If you are talking abou the "In Death" series, I love that one!  First thing I did when I got my nook was repurchase all of the books in eBook form, I'm always rereading one or the other of them.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

Re: Downloading EPUB

Doug_Pardee wrote:

One-time setup for Adobe EPUB:

Downloading Adobe EPUB:In short:

Once everything's set up and running, it's just "click the download button, the e-book will download into ADE, plug in the nook, drag-and-drop the e-book from ADE to the nook, eject the nook."

Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly do that.

@FrogAlum - Yes, I mean the "In Death" series. I just found out that there's 33 books in the series, and I was planning on purchasing all of them - eventually. Now I'll just have to remember not to buy the one book, since I've already paid for it in two installments!

Your advice on Fictionwise makes sense, but I'll definitely have to price check when I'm ready to buy more books. I've been on the fence for a while, especially since some of my recent purchases cost so much more at FW than B&N.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

Re: Downloading EPUB

JoanieGranola wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly do that.

JoanieGranola:

If you look at my signature below, I have a link to step by step instructions on how to get secured Adobe PDF and secured Adobe EPUB books on the nook. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I came back to post what I did this morning. I don't have a membership at Fictionwise.com as I simply do not buy enough books to make it worthwhile for me.

That being said, I wanted to buy the 3 Foundation books from Asimov. I have made previous purchases so I had had some credits in my Micropay account.

A note about Micropay: Only IF you have enough credits in your micropay account to pay for your purchase in full will you have the opportunity to use it.

So! Knowing that! And knowing that if I purchased 2 of the Foundation books I'd get enough credits put into my micropay account to buy the 3rd book. Rather than buy all three at once, I purchased 2 and then went back and purchased the 3rd book seperatly, using nearly all of my credits in my micropay account.

It's like getting a 3rd book free and these books, on average, ended up costing less.

While I still shop around for the best deals, if I'm already buying books I may as well find ways to get discounts or "free" books. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

pidgeon92 wrote:

jynclr wrote:

Question:

A) Can you use whatever credits you have available on books that don't have a "rebate" label next to it? Or can you only use your credits for books that have the rebate label next to it?

B) Also, do you get credit for *any* books you purchase? i.e. If the book you buy does not have a "rebate" label next to it, do you get micropay credit for that book without the "rebate" label?

A: whatever micropay rebate credits you get can be applied to any book on the website.

B: You only get micropay rebate credits for books that say they are rebated.

That said, you do get a 5% micropay rebate credit on any ebooks purchased in the secure ereader format, and you get a 10% micropay rebate credit for any credit card purchase about $100 (and 15% for any purchase above $200).

Hey, pidgeon92. I just noticed your response and answering my questions. I wanted to thank you for answering. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
CritterKeeper
0 Kudos

I think Fictionwise hates me. I can't find ANYTHING I search for. I even did a search for Charlaine Harris and Stephenie Meyer, and the title of some of their books. Nope, I get "no results" Now, I know they have got to have those books, if not the others I am looking for. Any suggestions?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No, Fictionwise currently doesn't have those titles. Most small e-book stores don't at the moment. Even Amazon doesn't have the latest Charlaine Harris.

Apple threw a giant monkey wrench into the e-book selling world at the beginning of April (search for the thousands of discussions of 'Agency Model' on here), and most US and Canadian e-book stores are still reeling. Only three—Barnes & Noble, Kobo, and Sony—are carrying a full line-up right now.

Here's a post I made last week: Agency 5 distribution update - who's carrying what

Inspired Contributor
CritterKeeper
0 Kudos

Aha... well thanks so much for the update. Seems I'm completely out of the loop, probably cause i spend all my free time reading, and now that it was time to load some new books, it's like I stepped out to a whole new world LOL

Maybe I should take time out to read a newspaper.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 689 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: