Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise


agengr2004 wrote:

 


Clsywnch wrote:

I have a question for the Fictionwise savvy among us.  Do I purchase the secure Adobe ePub format for my Nook - or the unsecured formats.  Which is better and why.  There are a number of books I found on their site that actually aren't available on B&N.  Therefore I am planning to get a Fictionwise account for purchases like that.  I am completely new to purchasing ebooks other than through B&N - started that in October - and am already a pro:smileywink:  Thanks for the info.


 

I'll be looking at this answer as well.  I'm not sure whether to download PDB or ePub format or if it makes any difference.  I'd like to go with the easiest option if there is any difference in sideloading between the two.

 


You might do a search of these boards, also check the link I put in a previous post as to what Fictionwise recommends for nook.. My understanding is the secure ereader format works, but I don't have my nook, yet to test it out.  From what I have read you want to sideload it over from where you downloaded it, into your my documents area on the nook, don't load using Calibre and don't copy it over from where you have content if you are using the Barnes and Noble ereader on your PC.  Please do the search to verify what I have said.  Once I get my nook which is out for delivery today, I can tell you if this worked for me.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Correspondent
katworley
Posts: 162
Registered: ‎12-13-2009

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

 


Clsywnch wrote:

I have a question for the Fictionwise savvy among us.  Do I purchase the secure Adobe ePub format for my Nook - or the unsecured formats.  Which is better and why.  There are a number of books I found on their site that actually aren't available on B&N.  Therefore I am planning to get a Fictionwise account for purchases like that.  I am completely new to purchasing ebooks other than through B&N - started that in October - and am already a pro:smileywink:  Thanks for the info.


 

 

You won't really have the choice of secure or unsecured formats for the same book.... if the book is available in an secured format it probably won't also be available unsecured and vice versa. Unsecured books are those which have no Digital Rights Management (DRM) limitations... you don't need an unlock key to read the files.

 

Secure formats are *locked* with a code (often the credit card used to purchase the book) that you have to put into the device (computer, iPhone, Nook, or what ever you're reading it on). In my experience, those books from Fictionwise that are available in unsecured formats are generally from smaller publishers, while those from the larger publishing houses are all going to be some form of secured file format.

 

As far as which secured formats to choose if you have the option, most of my Fictionwise/eReader books are in Secure eReader (the file extension is .pdb). This format is based on the old Palm Reader which goes back years, and not only Fictionwise/eReader uses it, but B&N library uses it as well. Secure ePub (extension .epub) is what B&N is moving towards (I understand there are advantages in formatting and so on, but I'm not sure exactly how that plays out in the user experience). Therefore, either Secure eReader or Secure ePub books from eReader.com or Fictionwise.com should sideload and open on the Nook. Secure Adobe is used by some ebook retailers, but I've never bought a book in that format and have no experience with it. From everything I've read, they work on the Nook just fine and are what libraries use when lending ebooks. So in a nutshell, Secure eReader, Secure ePub, and Secure Adobe should all work on the Nook. 

 

I don't have my Nook yet (Feb 1 group), but I've bought ebooks from Fictionwise and eReader for many years, first to read on my Palm handheld, then on my iPhone, and now for the Nook. I also read them on my computer; I'm a Mac user, which is why I avoid Kindle books unless there's no way around them... Amazon doesn't have an application which allows Kindle books to be read on Macs (yet- they're promising one "soon", but Mobipocket is what the Kindle format is based on and Mobipocket promised a Mac version "soon" for at least two years before Amazon bought them out a couple of years ago... I'm not holding my breath)

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

Secure ereader format does work on the nook.  I sideloaded I, Alex Cross onto my nook and it looks great.  Others have had some books with garbled titles, so I don't know why that happened.

 

Remember once you do add content to the my documents on the nook, you eject it BEFORE you select safely remove hardware.  Eject by going to my computer and right-clicking on the nook, then scroll down to select eject.  It should now say   removable drive or some such instead of nook    then you can leave it to charge or safely remove hardware before pulling out the usb plug   then go read.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

Just received the following email, lots of eBooks with 75% rebate:

 

The New York Times Book Review has made these selections from books reviewed since Dec. 7, 2008, when they published their previous Notables list. From the Book Review editors: "It was not easy picking the winners. To the authors who made the list: congratulations." All NYT Book Review Notables available at Fictionwise.com feature 75% Micropay Rebates! It's the perfect time to pick up eBooks by these esteemed authors. Buy them now.

Frequent Contributor
Tisha_PA
Posts: 78
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

Can someone please help me out: there are a couple of books I'm looking at on Fictionwise.  The formats available are:  secure mobipocket, secure microsoft reader and secure adobe.  Which of these should I be selecting?  TIA!

Frequent Contributor
four0six
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎01-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

Hi,

 

From everything I've read, I think it goes in this order:

 

ePub or Secured ePub (if Available)

eReader or Secured eReader (.pdb format, compatible with Nook)

PDF or Secured PDF (usuable and complies with ADE (Adobe Digital Editions).

 

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Frequent Contributor
Tisha_PA
Posts: 78
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

So are secure ereader and secure microsoft ereader the same or are they different?  I'm assuming that secure adobe would be in pdf?

Correspondent
katworley
Posts: 162
Registered: ‎12-13-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

Secure eReader and Secure Microsoft are NOT the same thing. Both are secure (DRM restricted) formats, but they're not the same file type. The eReader format is compatible with the Nook, but the Microsoft file format is not.

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

Just to let people know, I just received a discount code in an email from Fictionwise:

 

FICTIONWISE WEEKEND 15% OFF COUPON 'playoffs15'!

 

Playoffs...playoffs...you want to talk about the playoffs? If Fictionwise.com were in the playoffs, we'd be 4-0. At least when it comes to January coupons.

 

For the past 4 weekends, we've been offering you great coupon deals and this weekend is no different. Get 15% OFF your entire order with coupon code 'playoffs15'!

 

Act now, the playoffs won't last forever :smileywink:

 

This is stackable with the microrebates!

Correspondent
dElaphant
Posts: 140
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

[ Edited ]

Can I throw a "buyer beware" into this discussion? I don't mean to imply that feedbooks is doing anything dishonest - they are not - just that the "microcredits" make it difficult to do a direct cost comparison with other ebook sellers, and when you can't do a direct comparison you can't know for sure who has the lower price.

 

They kind of depend on people counting the microcredits as "money in the bank", and making the mistake of including the microcredits when they do the math to calculate how much money they spent. But microcredits aren't money, if you walk away from feedbooks without using yours up, you lose them forever. And if they keep giving you more microcredits, you can never walk away without losing "money" (but remember they are not really money, you've already spent the money before you got the microcredits). 

 

Consider a simpler example:

1. Grocer A charges $5 for a gallon of milk. That's not good or bad.

2. Grocer B charges $10 for a gallon of milk. That's clearly a bad price.

3. Grocer C charges $10 for a gallon of milk, but your next gallon is free (that's a "microcredit"). 

 

So if you stop there, and never go back to Grocer C, you've paid the same $10 as you would with Grocer B, which is bad.

 

To break even, you need to go back for a second gallon of milk. Obviously, no one will go back to Grocer B. So in round 2, it goes like this:

 

1. Grocer A charges $5 for a gallon of milk. Total spent, $10 for 2 gallons of milk.

2. Grocer C charges $0 for a gallon of milk, using your "microcredits". Total spent, $10 for 2 gallons of milk.

 

It averages out so you spend the same at both. With feedbooks it gets a whole lot more complicated because they throw in discounts and different level of microcredits, but if you simplify the math and only count the books you have actually purchased and the money you have actually spent (do not count the microcredits), you'll see that you're probably not saving much money, if any at all.  

 

The books I've looked at at feedbooks cost more than the same books at b&n, and the difference in price is exactly the same as the microcredits that you get. There may be some deals there, but  I don't see them. And since feedbooks really is b&n, that doesn't surprise me that it comes out exactly even.

 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

[ Edited ]

@dElaphant, if you read the thread you will see this isn't the scenario we are discussing. 

 

The 100% credits make you money, period, if you've looked at any of the purchases I've posted you could see that.  As a CPA, I stand behind my numbers.

 

As to walking away from money, well you could do that with your bank account also, but it would be stupid to do so.

 

In general, the only books that are typically higher at BN are the new bestsellers (hard cover) and this will also have the 100% rebate quite often.  Every paperback equivelent I've purchased has been the same price (I am a member) as the BN version and I get an additional 5% on the Fictionwise purchase.

 

This thread has been about how to benefit from the system, and believe me, many of us have.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
Posts: 708
Registered: ‎12-10-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

 


FrogAlum wrote:

@dElaphant, if you read the thread you will see this isn't the scenario we are discussing. 

 

The 100% credits make you money, period, if you've looked at any of the purchases I've posted you could see that.  As a CPA, I stand behind my numbers.

 

As to walking away from money, well you could do that with your bank account also, but It would be stupid to do so.

 

This thread has been about how to benefit from the system, and believe me, many of us have.


 

 

But, you do have to agree that in order to save money with Fictionwise you have to be selective in purchasing and truly research pricing before you buy.  For example. I purchased Under the Dome for $7.20 from Amazon while Fictionwise had It for $20 with $20 credits.  I still have $12.80 available to spend if I purchase using Amazon but $20 if I purchased from Fictionwise.  Then look at pricing...if I want books that are equally as expensive at Fictionwise as UTD, then I will continue to use that up each time with no guarantee that they will always have 100% credits attached.  Whereas, I can pick them up more cheaply at Amazon.  It truly depends on what you want and how the prices compare.

 

I can't remember if It was this thread or not but someone spoke of purchasing the Sookie series from Fictionwise.  They totaled nearly double at Fictionwise than B&N or Amazon.  It is in situations like this that I think buying Fictionwise just to get credits is a bad idea.  Use Fictionwise to buy titles that are the same cost at B&N and then truly save money.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

@Alley415

 

I'd agree that you have to selective in anything you purchase in order to save/make money.

 

For the fun of it, I ran a spreadsheet on all this.  I have 48 books from Fictionwise and I paid out (charged to my card) $339.47, this included the Buywise membership.  I still have $210.75 left in credits that I can use on anything I want.  So cash actually spent on the books, $309.47

 

The BN cost for these same items?  $326.44 and I would have nothing left to spend.  All of these are mainstream books, nothing special about them.  If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet, send me a PM with your email.  I don't think anyone wants me to take up the space with the spreadsheet.

 

So in the end, about the same cash out of pocket on books I was purchasing anyway AND I still have $210.75 left to spend.  The credits are an investment, pure and simple.

 

I think I'll take my deal anytime.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
Posts: 708
Registered: ‎12-10-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

 


FrogAlum wrote:

@Alley415

 

I'd agree that you have to selective in anything you purchase in order to save/make money.

 

For the fun of it, I ran a spreadsheet on all this.  I have 48 books from Fictionwise and I paid out (charged to my card) $339.47, this included the Buywise membership.  I still have $210.75 left in credits that I can use on anything I want.  So cash actually spent on the books, $309.47

 

The BN cost for these same items?  $326.44 and I would have nothing left to spend.  All of these are mainstream books, nothing special about them.  If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet, send me a PM with your email.  I don't think anyone wants me to take up the space with the spreadsheet.

 

So in the end, about the same cash out of pocket on books I was purchasing anyway AND I still have $210.75 left to spend.  The credits are an investment, pure and simple.

 

I think I'll take my deal anytime.


 

As I am also an accountant, I had to laugh that you made a spreadsheet.  That is definitely something I would do.  Back to the topic at hand, I just think time needs to be taken to research before purchasing.  As you said, the ability to save is there.  But, if you can get it for half or less than half the price somewhere else, Fictionwise is probably not the best place to make that particular purchase even if credits are part of the deal.

 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

[ Edited ]

 


Alley415 wrote:

 


FrogAlum wrote:

@Alley415

 

I'd agree that you have to selective in anything you purchase in order to save/make money.

 

For the fun of it, I ran a spreadsheet on all this.  I have 48 books from Fictionwise and I paid out (charged to my card) $339.47, this included the Buywise membership.  I still have $210.75 left in credits that I can use on anything I want.  So cash actually spent on the books, $309.47

 

The BN cost for these same items?  $326.44 and I would have nothing left to spend.  All of these are mainstream books, nothing special about them.  If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet, send me a PM with your email.  I don't think anyone wants me to take up the space with the spreadsheet.

 

So in the end, about the same cash out of pocket on books I was purchasing anyway AND I still have $210.75 left to spend.  The credits are an investment, pure and simple.

 

I think I'll take my deal anytime.


 

As I am also an accountant, I had to laugh that you made a spreadsheet.  That is definitely something I would do.  Back to the topic at hand, I just think time needs to be taken to research before purchasing.  As you said, the ability to save is there.  But, if you can get it for half or less than half the price somewhere else, Fictionwise is probably not the best place to make that particular purchase even if credits are part of the deal.

 


 

 

LOL  I almost added "CPA Hazard" to that!

 

If you are someone that doesn't constantly buy books, then Fictionwise isn't for you BUT if you are someone that is always buying them it does.

 

There isn't a single book on that list I wasn't planning on purchasing, so I make out like a bandit.  Do you have to play it smart?  Yes, but as I said I try to do that with everything I buy (the reason I have a 32" Sharp Aquos HDTV for $299!) and I will not make a big purchase without checking it out.  IMHO, anyone that does it any other way is - well - let's just say not smart about it.

 

Let's face it, a lot of us are using eReaders for the first time and have to rebuild our libraries, this has really helped with that since I am not NEARLY done yet! :smileyhappy:

 

I have made purchases through BN also, made out like a bandit with the 15% off Mastercard deal, of course I checked both places before I ordered anything, if it was cheaper through BN, I bought it though I did throw that out with anything that had the 100% rebate.  You have to know you are going to use all the credits, and I sure will!

New User
beccarae1
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎01-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

For those of you who are thinking about the Fictionwise Buywise membership, keep your eyes peeled (I suggest you subscribe to their e-mail alerts).  Every once in a while, they offer a micropay rebate of 50% or 100% on your membership fee (or at least they have in the past).  If you can wait until the 100% rebate offer comes around again, you will pay the $29.95 then you would get the up to $10 credit for one free book, $29.95 to spend on other books and 15% off all the books on the site.  Not a bad way to give it a try :smileywink: 

 

The one thing I have found (as a Fictionwise member for the past 2 years) is that they like to pull a fast one occasionally.  They will have their "new" releases on a list and I will buy a book that sounds interesting, start reading it and discover it is a book I have previously purchased from Fictionwise.  They seem to take books out of their system for a while and then re-release them.  This is not just a Fictionwise problem, I have done it with paper books at my local bookstore as well :smileyvery-happy:  Give it a new cover and I am fooled every time, LOL!  I have found that Fictionwise will refund your money (when you buy the same book form them twice) if you bring the issue to their attention.  One caveat, don't expect super fast service out of the Fictionwise support staff.  They always respond to my e-mails, but it can take from 2-5 days to get a response, in my experience.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

 


beccarae1 wrote:

For those of you who are thinking about the Fictionwise Buywise membership, keep your eyes peeled (I suggest you subscribe to their e-mail alerts).  Every once in a while, they offer a micropay rebate of 50% or 100% on your membership fee (or at least they have in the past).  If you can wait until the 100% rebate offer comes around again, you will pay the $29.95 then you would get the up to $10 credit for one free book, $29.95 to spend on other books and 15% off all the books on the site.  Not a bad way to give it a try :smileywink: 

 

The one thing I have found (as a Fictionwise member for the past 2 years) is that they like to pull a fast one occasionally.  They will have their "new" releases on a list and I will buy a book that sounds interesting, start reading it and discover it is a book I have previously purchased from Fictionwise.  They seem to take books out of their system for a while and then re-release them.  This is not just a Fictionwise problem, I have done it with paper books at my local bookstore as well :smileyvery-happy:  Give it a new cover and I am fooled every time, LOL!  I have found that Fictionwise will refund your money (when you buy the same book form them twice) if you bring the issue to their attention.  One caveat, don't expect super fast service out of the Fictionwise support staff.  They always respond to my e-mails, but it can take from 2-5 days to get a response, in my experience.


 

 

Oh I hate that, it's not the booksellers, it's the publisher.  They are really bad about Nora Roberts books and doing this.

 

The worst is yet to come, there are two "new" books coming out by her:

 

 

Hot Rocks

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Big Jack

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

OR you can just buy the original book!

 

 

Remember When (In Death Series)

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Each book is $6.39!  Let's see, do I want to buy two books or one?  Should I pay double or not????

 

This one is grossly unfair.

Frequent Contributor
barker12
Posts: 55
Registered: ‎01-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

Hey Frogalum I would love to see the spreadsheet if you could PM it  to me I can't figure out how to PM our I would have PMed you Sorry I am computer illiterate and this is the first forum I have been on.  I have been following this post and still can't make since of fictionwise. THanks in advance

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

 


barker12 wrote:

Hey Frogalum I would love to see the spreadsheet if you could PM it  to me I can't figure out how to PM our I would have PMed you Sorry I am computer illiterate and this is the first forum I have been on.  I have been following this post and still can't make since of fictionwise. THanks in advance


 

Click on my user name and it will take you to my profile page.  On the right hand side of that page is a place to send me PM.  In the PM give me your email address so I can send the spreadsheet.  I cannot send it through a PM.

 

Correspondent
dElaphant
Posts: 140
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Making Cent$ of Fictionwise

 


FrogAlum wrote:

As to walking away from money, well you could do that with your bank account also, but it would be stupid to do so.


 

 

LOL, that would be stupid! I didn't say "walk away from money", I said "walk away from fictionwise" (actually I said "feedbooks" but that was just an error, I meant fictionwise) If you decide not to do business with a bank, you close the account and bring the money elsewhere. But you can't do that with microcredits, so if you decide to stop doing business with fictionwise for some reason, you lose. 

 

 


FrogAlum wrote:

This thread has been about how to benefit from the system, and believe me, many of us have.


 

Isn't part of benefiting from the system understanding where it's flaws are, and how to avoid them?

 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
322
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 484 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: