Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
asgalbraith
0 Kudos

Moving Kobo book from laptop to Nook

I usually order my Kobo books from my desktop, but last night I was on my laptop and ordered the book. Today, I connected my nook to the laptop. Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) asked me to authorize my computer, which I did. Then I tried to drag and drop the book into my nook and and it will not let me, saying: "Error: No permission to copy document here" I tried re-downloading the book on my desktop's ADE from Kobo, but it says I already downloaded the book. I also tried moving the file from my laptop to the desktop ADE, but that wouldn't work either. Does anyone know how I can get the book onto my nook now?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Moving Kobo book from laptop to Nook

A silly question but - Did you register your laptop to the SAME account as ADE account as your desktop?

Frequent Contributor
asgalbraith
0 Kudos

Yes, the laptop and the desktop are registered the same.

Frequent Contributor
asgalbraith
0 Kudos

I contacted Kobobooks and they reset the book for me and now it works.  I will probably just keep to downloading the kobobooks on my desktop from now on.  I am not sure why it didn't work from my laptop. 

Contributor
Gyokuro
0 Kudos

Just wondering... would you also have to authorize your nook through ADE on your laptop as well as your desktop?

Frequent Contributor
asgalbraith
0 Kudos

I thought that I had, but I will check to see if it is. Perhaps that is the problem. Fortunately, Kobobooks reissued the ebook to me and I down loaded it from my desktop.

Contributor
rachac
0 Kudos

Question (Since I cound't find a related thread) - How did you get ADE to see your nook?  Alot of websites say that you have to register ADE with the same ID as your nook.  I don't know how to do that since I have no idea how to get the ADE ID from my nook. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

rachac wrote:

Question (Since I cound't find a related thread) - How did you get ADE to see your nook?  Alot of websites say that you have to register ADE with the same ID as your nook.  I don't know how to do that since I have no idea how to get the ADE ID from my nook. 

Hook up your nook to the PC with Adobe ADE installed.  Once the nook is listed as a drive, open Adobe ADE.  Adobe ADE should recognize the nook.  You can then register it.

I did this some time back so I'm a bit hazy on the exact registration process, but I believe you will do it through the ADE menu.

Contributor
rachac
0 Kudos

I have followed instructions from multiple sites, similar to those you've provided.  Vista can see my nook as a drive and I can copy files to and from my nook's drive, but ADE does not see my Nook.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Yeah - ADE should pretty much recognize that the nook is attached, and ask you if you want to associate it with your account.  But make sure to register yourself in ADE first.  

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

This thread perfectly illustrates why DRM is a bad idea.  It wreaks havoc for no good reason.  Without DRM, you wouldn't need ADE and its controls - you could just download, drag, and drop the file onto your Nook.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

rachac wrote:

I have followed instructions from multiple sites, similar to those you've provided.  Vista can see my nook as a drive and I can copy files to and from my nook's drive, but ADE does not see my Nook.

Some people have reported that they have to plug the nook in first, then start ADE.

Others report the exact opposite. 

I would uninstall ADE (you won't lose any content). Then re-download and re-install it again.

Its a pretty obtuse program, with no way to get to your settings to check them other than to uninstall/reinstall.

Contributor
rachac
0 Kudos

How do I get my Adobe ID from my nook to use for Adobe Digital Editions?

How do I get my Adobe ID from my nook to use for Adobe Digital Editions? I keep trying to hook up my nook to ADE, but it won't see the nook.  All the websites I've seen say that you need to register ADE with the same Adobe ID as your nook.  Problem is, I don't know how to get the Adobe ID my book is using.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Re: How do I get my Adobe ID from my nook to use for Adobe Digital Editions?

There is a discussion of this in this thread.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

First you set up an ADE account on the web.

Then you download and install ADE on your computer and sign in.

Then while using ADE on your computer you plug in, and authorize the nook.

Then ADE can move books from your computer to the nook, or you can simply copy any ADE book to "my documents" on the nook.

The Authorizing step puts a special signature file on the nook that is used to verify who you are when you try to open an ADE book.

Contributor
rachac
0 Kudos

I've done all those things.  I'm not sure the issue is because I'm  logged into ADE using an Adobe ID that is not the same as the Adobe ID that I have when I registered my Nook when I bought it?  Either way, ADE refuses to even see the Nook, even though I can pass files back and forth in windows.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

rachac wrote:

I've done all those things.  I'm not sure the issue is because I'm  logged into ADE using an Adobe ID that is not the same as the Adobe ID that I have when I registered my Nook when I bought it?  Either way, ADE refuses to even see the Nook, even though I can pass files back and forth in windows.

I bet that's it, reauthorize the nook and see what happens.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

If ADE does not see the nook when you plug it in you may have to reboot the computer, then plug in the nook, and then start ADE.

ADE is not the best behaved program out there.  Being written by Adobe is a pretty good clue that it will be cranky, nonstandard, and troublesome.

Oh, and you are using the latest version of ADE?

Once you get the ADE to see the nook you may have to re-register.  And it might be you have to unregister it with the old account to register it with the new one.  I don't know if a single device can be registered under two different accounts.

Contributor
rachac
0 Kudos

I've tried a combination of everything. Nothing works and after authorizing ADE a few times seeing if that would work. I am now getting the 'Too Many Activations' error and unable to read the one book that I purchased.  Adobe really is awful.

Contributor
raven44012
0 Kudos

going to Hijack this thread a bit.  I was able to get everything authorized...moved my books over to my Nook.  But where do I find them on my Nook to read?  I can't find them at all! Help!!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 474 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: