Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
HarryO53
0 Kudos

My Documents Won't Update

I replaced my uSD card with a larger one in my standard Nook and copied all of my previous material back onto the new card.  Once I eject my Nook....the device tries to scan for new material, and never finishes.  I let it run for several hours and it never stopped.  I finally cancelled the update, and the material I had moved did not show up...just my Shelves showed.

When I tapped the now reading button, the previous book I was reading from the old card did appear and I am able to read it, but it's not in the directory listing, and it is one of my own additions to the new card.

Any ideas how to solve this?  There is about 900 mb of material, so it's a lot of stuff...but I don't expect it to take 6+ hours and not finish.  The card is an 8gb card.

TIA

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Re: My Documents Won't Update

The first thing to try is rebooting your NOOK. Hold the power button down for 20 seconds to shut it all the way off, then turn it back on.

Frequent Contributor
HarryO53
0 Kudos

Should have mentioned that.  I have already tried it....a few times.  The device just goes back to the 'Checking for new items' requestor.....with no items showing in 'My Documents'....not even shelves after I reset it.

I guess my next step is to prune down what's there and re-add everything.

I'm using Calibre to add stuff.  I had asked the author whether or not it would screw Calibre or anything up to use mixed direct adding of files (dragging and dropping), along with Calibre to add content to the uSD card.  He assured me that it wouldn't.  Up until now, it hasn't!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

I'm assuming that you haven't put anything on the new card that wasn't on the old card. If you have, try removing that new stuff.

At this point, I would go for a complete re-do. Delete everything from the card, and try adding one file. If that doesn't work, reformat the card. Once you're able to add one file, add a limited number of files at a time, maybe 50 (I'm guessing at that number). NOOK isn't a powerhouse computer, and it's quite possible that it doesn't have enough memory to add that many e-books at a time.

Another possibility: if you didn't use Calibre before, you're now getting twice as many files because Calibre adds a thumbnail JPEG of the cover. Back in the days of 1.2 software, at least, it was claimed that NOOK didn't like having over 1200 or so items in a folder. The work-around was to divide the e-books into a number of subfolders.

I've never heard of any problem using Calibre for some files and not for others. All it does is copy the file over and copy over the thumbnail JPEG. Don't use Calibre to do the "eject", though.

Frequent Contributor
HarryO53
0 Kudos

Nope, there's nothing on the new card that wasn't on the old card.

I've used Calibre for everything on the old card....and I've let Calibre update it's metadata file on the new card, as the author said it will for any changes....so....all that should do is keep Calibre up to date.

Calibre divides the files into author/book title/book file.....so it's in sub-directories.  That shouldn't be an issue.

I've used Calibre's eject since I bought my first uSD card....the one that works.  If I eject using OS X's Finder, it does the same thing, but as a convenience, I use Calibre so it does both devices at once.  Hasn't seemed to cause a problem yet.  Is this an issue with Windows release of Calibre>

Harry

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

HarryO53 wrote:

Nope, there's nothing on the new card that wasn't on the old card.

You also might try letting the nook format the card. Power off/on. Connect to USB and then use Calibre to transfer files.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
HarryO53
0 Kudos

Is there an option on the Nook to format the card?  Never noticed it before if there is.....or is there a way of tricking it into it.

The first 2gb card I bought, I formatted FAT32 using Disk Utility on the Mac and had no problems with it.  I did notice that removing the Nook without ejecting, plays havoc on the extra card.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

You should always eject any usb drive to prevent file corruption. Also there are some micro sd cards that won't work with the Nook.

HarryO53 wrote:

Is there an option on the Nook to format the card?  Never noticed it before if there is.....or is there a way of tricking it into it.

The first 2gb card I bought, I formatted FAT32 using Disk Utility on the Mac and had no problems with it.  I did notice that removing the Nook without ejecting, plays havoc on the extra card.

Frequent Contributor
HarryO53
0 Kudos

As a follow up, I did get my Nook to work well with my 8gb card.  I wound up erasing (formatting), the card with OS X's Disk Utility.  I then used Calibre to start putting books back onto the card.

I guess the key was that I couldn't copy everything over at once.

Thanks!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 56 members 261 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: