Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
buggdog
0 Kudos

My Documents kicks me back to Main menu

I hvae no clue what happened because my nook was working fine yesterday...but now everytime I goto My Library then press "View my Documents" it says checking for new documents then it kicks me back to the Main Menu.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong?

Thanks for any help!!

Frequent Contributor
Nookworm
0 Kudos

Re: My Documents kicks me back to Main menu

That was happening to me after I had sideloaded an ebook from Fictionwise that I tried to convert with Calibre.  Not sure if it's the same issue.  I had to take the book off via USB cord and then add the book straight from a file on my computer to the Nook without use of Calibre.    Hope that makes sense.  I'm not very tech smart.

Reader 2
buggdog
0 Kudos

hmm.interesting...I do use calibre for news feeds..maybe that is the issue.  i will try to remove all books tomorrow and then sideload them directly instead of using calibre.  Hopefully it works!

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

Before you do that, have you tried powering down your nook (holding the power button for 10-20 seconds)... I've had several issues I've been able to resolve by just restarting in this manner.

Contributor
docsol
0 Kudos

I have a similiar problem. I have had the Nook for a month now. I have the latest update. I can no longer view My Documents. When I press that option on the touch screen the Nook reverts to my wallpaper and the lit home touch screen menu. I have .pdf documents that I use daily and they won't come up anymore. The folder does show with all the documents when I plug the Nook into the PC. Help is appreciated! I look forward to responses.
Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

docsol wrote:
I have a similiar problem. I have had the Nook for a month now. I have the latest update. I can no longer view My Documents. When I press that option on the touch screen the Nook reverts to my wallpaper and the lit home touch screen menu. I have .pdf documents that I use daily and they won't come up anymore. The folder does show with all the documents when I plug the Nook into the PC. Help is appreciated! I look forward to responses.

docsol - there's a couple of threads on this already, but just so you know, the last update did something to corrupt some .pdf files, which then causes the problem.  They're supposed to be releasing a patch for the problem soon, but in the meantime if you need access, the best solution is to delete the .pdf files off of your nook, and then recopy them from the original source on your computer (not the ones that got corrupted on the nook) to your nook.  It's usually only one or two that cause the problem.

If this doesn't work, it becomes a matter of finding out which document is causing the hangup - if there aren't too many docs, copy each individually and see if they'll work.  If there are a lot of documents, Copy 10, or 20 (or, say, everything beginning with an "a" then "b") at a time and see if the problem is replicated for each "batch".  That'll help you narrow down the offending document.  

Contributor
docsol
0 Kudos

thanks!  I looked and could not find a similar thread.  I will try to delete the .pdf's and re enter them one at a time.  Can I just delete directly from the Nook Document folder?

Contributor
docsol
0 Kudos

I did as you suggested and MY Documents are back!  I hope there is a fix soon.  Thanks for your time!

Contributor
Hornby
0 Kudos

I have the same problem.  I have deleted all the content from the nook, copied straight from the source, and rebooted the Nook multiple times. 

Same problem.  The Nook scans My Documents, jumps back to home screen.

I can't use the Nook to read my PDF's anymore.  I could with version 1.1.1.

And I have opened EVERY pdf from my computer - none have any issues.

I really like the Nook, but B&N's response on this problem, which is clearly not isolated, has been ZERO.  No statement.  No acknowledgement. Not even a STICKY on the boards!

Frequent Contributor
four0six

Hornby wrote:

I have the same problem.  I have deleted all the content from the nook, copied straight from the source, and rebooted the Nook multiple times. 

I really like the Nook, but B&N's response on this problem, which is clearly not isolated, has been ZERO.  No statement.  No acknowledgement. Not even a STICKY on the boards!

B&N has never said that this board is an official CS supported place.  In fact, I had someone tell me that they don't look at it either.  This is user's helping users for the most part.  It is a known problem, and some people have said that when they talked to CS, that they knew about it and a patch was "a week out".  That was about 4 days ago, but don't count on another patch soon.

Reader 2
AmberDini
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem.  I loaded one book into my documents and it was fine.  put the rest on there and couldn't even get any library to open, my documents or my b&n library.  which was a real bummer because I have spent a lot of $ on ebooks from their store.  I took the battery out multiple times and charged the nook and just messed with it and finally my b&n library came back.  Then it froze and I had to do it all over!  Now, everytime I open my documents, I get kicked off.  This is a total bummer. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This issue has been discussed here.

Search for the word metadata and you'll find a thread that should help you out.

Some PDF's have bad or missing metadata information in them, using Adobe Acrobat, Calibre or a freeware metadata editor you can correct the headers and they will load.

Granted the nook shouldn't barf over it but it is really the fault of the files creators.

Frequent Contributor
Tisha_PA
0 Kudos

I had this problem awhile ago and tried every fix that was posted on here.  Adding my books back a few at a time worked briefly but then the problem came back.  I finally popped the battery out and let my nook sit on the charger for awhile then put the battery back in, let it fully charge and it's worked ever since.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Hornby wrote:

The problem is not corrupt PDF files, rather it is PDF's that are missing metadata (specifically the title field). If you copy the same PDF files back then the problem will re-occur. You need to identify the PDF file with missing metadata and either not copy it to the nook, or correct the metadata (both Adobe Acrobat and Calibre can do this if the PDF is not protected).

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 261 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: