Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Happy_Buddhaman
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook Not Downloading Samples

Same / Bump / Tech support told me "I dunno"...

Receipt / Box / Return / Kindle / Done.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU

Happy_Buddhaman wrote:

Same / Bump / Tech support told me "I dunno"...

Receipt / Box / Return / Kindle / Done.

Your really going to return it and get a Kindle after one issue that has only been going on for two days?  Good luck with your Kindle!  I am sure they never have glitches on their website like B&N!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Contributor
Happy_Buddhaman
0 Kudos

And it also won't keep a network connection to save it's life.

I've had this for less than 24 hours, I'm so dissapointed in the overpriced books, the device not working, I feel like I spent $259.00 on a brick.

JUNK! ABSOLUTE JUNK! Someone give me a reason to keep this PLEASE because I really did want this!

Contributor
Happy_Buddhaman
0 Kudos

One isue? Try losing 30% battery life in under 2 hours.

I can't recall how many times the screen locked up.

Like I said, Network connection? No.

Why did I buy this?

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

I have had mine since December and love it.

The network connection:  are you trying to connect via wifi or 3g?

Book pricing:  We are all frustrated as it has to do with the Agency model (search it on these forums there are a lot of threads about it).  Yes Amazon has cheaper agency books then B&N for now (I believe) but sooner or later all the agency 5 books are going to be the same price at Amazon, B&N, and the iBook store

My advice keep it for a couple days and try it out (there is supposed to be a new update this week)

Remember with a Kindle you will be mostly stuck from buying books only from Amazon with the nook not so much!

- JJ

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

browse this site for a bit and you'll find out that the prices for the books are mostly not a B&N issue, but are a publisher issue.  Amazon is having the same pricing issues.

As for freezes, connection problems, and other issues, go visit the Kindle boards and you will see the exact same complaints.

B&N is apparently currently having issues with some aspect of their server connections and the nook.  Since you've only had your nook for 24 hours, you bought it in the middle of this problem.  B&N rarely has server issues.  If you cannot stay connected to the network, that is either an AT&T issue (3G) or an issue with your wireless router and/or connection.  That has nothing to do with B&N.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Happy_Buddhaman wrote:

One isue? Try losing 30% battery life in under 2 hours.

I can't recall how many times the screen locked up.

Like I said, Network connection? No.

Why did I buy this?

Do you have airplane mode on?  The battery drains fast when it is continually trying to connect to WiFi and 3G.  Also it takes a couple of battery cycles for the battery to start holding a charge for longer!  And the update for this week promises better battery life!

- JJ

Nallia
0 Kudos

As for your battery, like with any product, there are a handful of people with defective batteries.  If that is the case for you, B&N will replace it.  Most people, however, just need to calibrate their batteries.  There are easy to find instructions on this site as well.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Veronica11 and others with the same issue,

There is a fix on the works and will keep you posted when it has been finalized.

We appreciate your patience and apologize for this inconvenience.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
Happy_Buddhaman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm extremely frustrated right now, I apologise for my ranting.

I'm going to return it for another one, and see how that works.

I have my own Wi-Fi set up in my house, the network indacator at the top of the nook will show signal strength, but will not connect to either 3g or wi-fi.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Happy_Buddhaman wrote:

I have my own Wi-Fi set up in my house, the network indacator at the top of the nook will show signal strength, but will not connect to either 3g or wi-fi.

Don't apologize for your ranting!  I have been on these boards for just over a month and have seen a lot worse.  Yes you should try that!  If you run into any errors with your new one there is a search function on the top of the boards that can be your best friend!  Any issue I have ever had i searched for it first and usually found an answer or a thread that people could walk me thru the steps to solve my problem!  Hope this helps!

- JJ

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Knew I should have looked here before emailing CS...but I was in a hurry. Nice to know a fix is in the works.

As to those wondering about the bugginess of the nook, all can say is:

1) This is still a first generation product and early adopters should understand there will be a few bumps along the way. If you can't deal with it, wait a year to see how things develop

2) I've had my nook since late January and my bugs have been infrequent, only minorly annoying, and non-catastrophic. Never have I regreted my purchase.

Have a nice day!

Nallia
0 Kudos

Happy_Buddhaman wrote:

Don't apologize.  It's OK to be frustrated.  I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Does your wireless router have a security key?  If so, did you put he ket into your nook when you set up the connection?  Did you do it all manually, or did you let the nook find your router on its own first?

Did you try turning wireless OFF on your nook to see if it would connect to 3G then?

Contributor
SherylNantus
0 Kudos

I had my Nook freeze up a few times and refuse to download ANYTHING until I cut out the 3G and went to our wireless connection set up at home. We're in a bit of a mountain area and get spotty cellular coverage as it is, so we went through the procedure of setting 'er up for the home connection.

I haven't had anything dropped or frozen since. *knocks on wood*

I think part of the problem may be that if you have any sort of disruption on the 3G network that the Nook just can't recover -I know NOTHING about computers, but it's just my take.

As for going to the Kindle - certainly your choice, but I'm happier with the CS and the choices at B&N. The prices are pretty uniform across the board or they will be, and don't forget you *can* get books from other sites and sideload them onto the Nook.

I'll wait for my samples...

Contributor
tintin1708
0 Kudos

I have had a few problems with mine freezing, but it's mostly been while connected to the network. I also have airplane mode ON and it' really seems to keep the battery charged longer. I've had my Nook since January and wouldn't trade it for a Kindle for anything. The Kindle's buttons are too easy to push and too easy to accidentally buy a book! I'm keeping mine and hoping a fix is coming soon.

Contributor
JewelDragon
0 Kudos

Add another nook user to the list.  I've rebooted, unregistered, and did abracadabra nothing got my samples back.  Grrr!  This is irritating.  Glad to know it just started yesterday for folks.  Hopefully they will have it fixed shortly.

Contributor
JewelDragon
0 Kudos

sample book download

Yesterday my Nook deleted all Sample books and will not reload them.  They are in My Library online.  How can I get them to download to my Nook?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Re: sample book download

This seems to be an issue at the Barnes & Noble end, and they're working on it.

There's a discussion going in the NOOK Q&A/Support forum: link.

Contributor
JewelDragon
0 Kudos

Thank you.

Reader 2
Bianca1986
0 Kudos

Any update on the fix? :smileyindifferent:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count