Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MagpieLC

My Nook Went Back

First off, I want to say that I love Barnes and Noble, and I still love Barnes and Noble, despite my horrible experience with the Nook. When I first received it, I was unable to register it. I drove 150 miles to a Barnes and Noble store and was finally able to register it with their Wifi. When I started reading books, it would freeze constantly and I was unable to bookmark my page. I finally gave up and took it back to a store. They will not charge the restocking fee if you claim it is defective, which it obviously was.  I figured BN would fix these errors so I contemplating waiting for a "second generation nook." At the recommendation of some friends, I bought a Kindle. Wow! I didn't have to register it, they knew automatically through my order it was mine. I bought some books before the Kindle even arrived and they were already on there. It didn't take forever to search for Wifi...also I have 5 times the amount of books and magazines to choose from. The Nook can keep it's colored menu screen-which is really the only difference in the way I use the device-the Kindle is light years ahead! I am sure BN will improve the Nook, I just wish it had been ok in the first place :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
four0six
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook Went Back

"I'll bring the marshmellows...."

Frequent Contributor
ScrappersNook
0 Kudos

Been happy with mine from the first day...the color screen is way cool and the swish is an awesome thing.  Sorry you coundn't bond with yours.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I love mine, wouldn't trade it for anything. Sorry you didn't have the same experience.

Contributor
agengr2004
0 Kudos

My Nook has been great, sorry yours sucked.  Enjoy your kindle.

New User
tbkaiser
0 Kudos

I have been tempted to send my Nook back.  I hate to say the only reason I have not yet is the "restocking fee"  I think that is crap.  I have had problems since I got it with my credit card and being able to down load books.  The sony and the Kindle have been looking better and better every day.  The thing I like about the nook is that it is a STORE.  but on the other hand, I can't just got to the store to fix this problem. 

good luck

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

What kind of problems are you having?

Maybe it's something we can help with.

Contributor
JamieHood
0 Kudos

I feel ya' buddy!  I waited 2 months for mine and it arrived defective.  The E-Ink display had gray stripes running vertically on the screen and the words/images are so pixelated you can't make anything out.  Since Customer Service kept me on hold for over an hour, they haven't replied to my e-mail, and the store can't take it back because it was opened, I'm seriously considering returning it for a Kindle.  I'm glad everyone else is enjoying theirs, but for those of us who got shafted, it really sucks. 

Contributor
Chris_A
0 Kudos

I've had mine since the middle of January and I have not had one issue with it.  It registered without problems, swipes just fine, never freezes.  I'm happy with the battery although I do charge mine a lot since I read for hours every day.  Installing the sd card was a cinch.  BTW MagpieLC, I also bought ebooks prior to receiving my Nook, and guess what?  They were already there when I registered.  So your Kindle isn't special!  I debated over the two when I first read about the Nook.  I read and researched.  I saw a lot of criticism about the rush put out on The Nook, but I have no problems.  Maybe instead of driving 150 miles you should've rebooted it, trouble shot it before giving up on it. 

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

It's not just you but other people on other product boards as well as this.   If you don't like the restaurant, get your money back and leave.  Why spit your venom back in the door at the other patrons?  That's exactly how I see your conduct MagpieLC.

Why do you seem that your problems exist for all nooks?  That is simply false.   You can get a kindle with those types of problems too.

I am very happy with the Nook.   I love it.   Therefore, I think you are a fool.    Worse than a fool, someone who needs to spit in someones soup.   If everyone agreed with you, your childish statement would be pointless since it would not add information.   If most people don't agree with you, your are just being childish and stupid.

Contributor
bleekbleek
0 Kudos

I did the exact same thing as you - I returned my Nook and bought a Kindle and was BLOWN AWAY at how much better then Kindle was. 

I check this forum every day to see if an update for the Nook was released...if it happens within my 30 day window with the Kindle, I will re-buy a Nook. I would much rather have a Nook (epub and free library books), but the present software makes reading, annotating, and bookmarking a miserable experience. 

Contributor
JamieHood
0 Kudos

Update:  I got through to someone in CS within 5 minutes this time.  My new nook should arrive by Monday or Tuesday.  I'm hoping I get a really good one and get to enjoy it like others.  I'm sorry some people have had better experiences than others, but I think if you're happier with the Kindle, more power to ya'!  I'm just happy people are reading!  Lol. 

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

And you decided you needed to tell us that because?

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

bleekbleek you and maggie just don't get it.

You got a bum unit.  You had the fortune to get a good kindle.   If you bought a kindle, you might have also gotten a bad unit, then bought a nook and been "Blown away" at how good it is.   Also, if you are this easily depressed, don't be an early adopter.  In time (probably days) the bugs will be worked out of the kindle and it will be a much newer, fresher design with a longer life than the kindle which, though stable, was designed awhile ago and is already kind of "old".

Keep in mind that units that lack stability probably are simply lemons.  The update will not fix them.

The update for the nook will happen very soon.  I have no expectation that it will cover every possibility.   You have been foolish and impatient and also rude.   Absolutely nobody cares that you sent your nook back.  I don't, the other readers don't and barnes and noble is selling them quite well.   Anyone who thinks that comments like yours mean a thing is really not thinking clearly.  You are just bitter and that is all.

I'm enjoying my nook a lot and I overlook the minor problems and have just read a lot ... several hundred pages a day.  You don't do that with a defective unit.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

GeoffreyF wrote:

bleekbleek you and maggie just don't get it.

You got a bum unit.  You had the fortune to get a good kindle.   If you bought a kindle, you might have also gotten a bad unit, then bought a nook and been "Blown away" at how good it is.  

The difference here is all in CS.  I got a bad unit with the first shipment.  B&N stated a replacement wouldn't go out for over a month and they would not extend the return period.  Now, I do know they have gotten better and returns now take a a few days to a week so that is much better.  Still, it isn't Amazon which can overnight a replacement without requiring a credit card to do so.  In addition, I have never had to wait with Amazon the way I did with B&N.  I am sure the nook will be a great product once it works as it was marketed but all can agree that as of right now, it does not.  If and when it does, I will consider purchasing one again but not a minute before that.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

I think many that talk down on the Kindle have never owned one.  Likewise the same can be said of the nook.  THe nook had the potential of being the front runner of technology when it was launched.  But, with all of the delays in services, software problems, and customer service issues, it is on the verge of being left in the dust by others.  The Que, iPad, and upcoming K3 are all sure to be technologically advanced to the nook.  Amazon recently purchased a company whose core product is touch technology.  Apple has been able to secure an agreement fro textbook availability on the ipad. 

Contributor
bleekbleek
0 Kudos

GeoffreyF, have you tried both the nook and the Kindle? I have, and the Kindle is a much more solid product. That's just the reality of the situation. 

Why? Because the Kindle has a two year advantage - multiple updates and tweaks have been released for the Kindle. It's also worth nothing that B&N rushed the nook out the doors before the holiday season, so the product just wasn't ready. 

Furthermore, I don't care what the devices look like, their sole purpose is to facilitate my reading. At this point in time, the nook offers an extremely frustrating experience - from note taking, to highlighting, to that god-aweful dictionary. No, we didn't get bum units, the nook's software is half-baked. 

With all that said, I would LOVE to own a nook, but I will wait till these bugs get worked out. The Kindle is a great reading device, but unfortunately, I am tied to Amazon.com for book purchases. The nook offers much more flexibility with it's acceptance of ePub and the Android platform, so naturally, that makes it the best choice...just not right now.   

Reader
oldnhairy
0 Kudos

the one reason to support Nook: You cannot load your own books (I have about 5,000 of them) on it.

Frequent Contributor
sabst79

You're actually not tied to Amazon for book purchases.  I have many ePubs on the Kindle, just use Calibre to convert it to Amazon's format.

And to those bashing the O.P for posting, I think this post is informative for those of us who are still on the fence whether to make the jump into Nook or to give it more time.  If only positive things about the Nook were posted, we wouldnt have the whole story.   If you don't care about the post, then don't read it and don't comment.

Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

How weird it is for experiences to be so different between different people.

I'm thrilled with my decision to get my nook over a Kindle. 

I won't say I enjoyed waiting between Dec. 28 and Jan. 29, when I finally received it--I could've gotten a Kindle 2 within a few days. 

However, the wait is being justified every day by the fact that it is working extremely well--within my expectations and well beyond; the form factor is outstanding (for me, it's the right size, right weight); the touch screen navigation has been near flawless (I had to learn how to swipe); my connectivity is 2nd to none.

A co-worker brought in his Kindle 2 yesterday and we did a quick side by side comparison.  The Kindle is very nice and I probably would've been quite happy if there wasn't a nook to be had.  Well, I still don't like not having the option to change batteries myself or that I can't add memory cards, but both it and the nook have one thing or the other that one or the other does better and it's just up to each person to decide what they want to trade off, feature for feature.

Customer service?  I don't "love" it, but we'll see how that goes as time goes by.  I've had more than one or two that I didn't care how they dispensed customer "service."  Hopefully that will improve...check that, it NEEDS to improve and don't take months and months to make it much better, either.

Anyway, for an e-reader, the nook is everything I want out of it.  I am, without a doubt or any reservations, a perfectly happy nook owner.

Make sure you know your nook and how to use it (a.k.a. read the guide and other Help options [like this board])...everything else, may your legitimate problems be fixed ASAP.

Cheers...

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 568 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: