Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Ericablueeyes
0 Kudos

My Nook is frozen on the screen saver, help!

I can't get my Nook to start, it's frozen on the screensaver.  Removing the battery doesn't work and Customer Service said I need to send it in and I will get a "replacement"...I am assuming re-furbished and I also have to put a hold on my debit card.  Is there anything else I can do?  My Nook is in pristine condition...I have never dropped it or plopped it down.  I don't want a refurb!!!!

:womansad:

Frequent Contributor
denchie
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook is frozen on the screen saver, help!

Have you completed these steps?

1. Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery. To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed. A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.

2. Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.

3. Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost. Proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.

4. Remove the battery from the NOOK.

5. Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds. This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

6. Leave the battery out for 30 minutes.

7. Re-insert battery into NOOK, re-install battery securing screw, and re-attach the back plate.

8. At this point, fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet. Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process, the charging LED will illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Ericablueeyes

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Given the choice between (1.) a previously owned Nook that doesn't work (yours), and (2.) a previously owned Nook that's been returned to factory-new specs and DOES work, you don't want Option 2?  Really?  REALLY?

Oh, well!  :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Reader 2
DanaMG10
0 Kudos

@denchie - I'm having the exact same problem as the person who posted this. I did the steps as you said and held the button down for 60 seconds...is the screen saver still suppose to be on the screen because it is for me :smileyfrustrated:

Frequent Contributor
denchie
0 Kudos

If you only finished until step 6. the screen saver might not disappear yet. If you finished until step 8 and the screen saver is still there, then the problem might be with the battery or the nook itself. To test this, you will need a working battery. Try to change your battery  with the working one. If it fixed the issue, you will have to request for an exchange for your defective battery. If it doesn't, I'm afraid it has to be the whole device that you need to request for replacement. 

Some people might have another suggestion. 

By the way, if you don't have extra battery and can't borrow from anyone, it would be better to take it to the bn store. They'll test it for you.

Frequent Contributor
denchie
0 Kudos

I don't want to suggest this, but for additional info only.

Some people plug the nook without the battery for a few seconds and it erased the screen saver. Haven't tried it though.

Reader 2
DanaMG10
0 Kudos

Thank you for getting back to me so fast! I did some more research online and plugged it in to the outlet without a battery in then put the battery back in and it started my nook up again. Hopefully everything is all right with it! Thanks for the advice though, if I have further issues, I will definitely ask you again! :]

Frequent Contributor
denchie
0 Kudos

No problem! A lot of people here would be willing to help...

Enjoy reading!...:smileyhappy:

New User
uvaru
0 Kudos

I'm on step five and my screen remains frozen.  It won't even cut off.  Please help!!

New User
maryabeth_21
0 Kudos

I've did the steps and it still didnt work. it didnt turn on!!!!!!!!!!!!

so imma try charging the nook without the battery .... and see if it turns back on...

... and if it doesnt imma bring it to the BN store and get it fix!!!!!!

well wish me luck :smileywink:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

maryabeth_21 wrote:

I've did the steps and it still didnt work. it didnt turn on!!!!!!!!!!!!

so imma try charging the nook without the battery .... and see if it turns back on...

... and if it doesnt imma bring it to the BN store and get it fix!!!!!!

well wish me luck :smileywink:

How can you charge the Nook without a battery?  The battery is what you're charging!  If you take that out you're not charging anything.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

If the battery is a dead short it may not allow the Nook to run even with the power supply. I think he means he is trying to have it run without the battery installed by powering it off the USB port. I have no idea if this is possible on a Nook.

New User
KatyTXBD
0 Kudos

Thank you for giving this information.  My frozen Nook now works again!  I am so happy.  Thanks again!

New User
BCalvert
0 Kudos

This also worked for me. :-)
Reader
SonalP
0 Kudos

You should do what we do in our country(India) with such rogue devices, especially something from China...My Nook STR stopped working in less than 48hrs, so I just gave it a few tight whacks on its backside, not many, maybe 4 or 5. Believe me, it started up immediately. Just the way my TV starts up !!!

This is not a sarcastic comment or joke. A few minutes ago I was worried about how I would get a refund on this faulty device, considering I stay in India, since a replacement would be a no-go.

Now I'm scared to ever turn it off. It will always be on standby and atleast 85% charge(It froze at 80%)

Reader
ryanelaina
0 Kudos

Thank you for the steps to fixing my NOOK. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. The thought of taking off the back made me nervous. But not only did it help fix my problem I found the micro sd slot that I kept reading my NOOK has. It only took my almost a year to find. Thanks again. : )

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 605 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: