Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
rotorhead
0 Kudos

My biggest disappointment with the Nook

My biggest disappointment with the Nook so far, besides the fact that the latest update 1.2 broke my Nook and took me a few days to fix, is the speed.

Reading with the Nook is like reading in slow motion. For a normal eBook it is not too bad, Navigation through the menus is very slow but actually reading the eBook is not too bad. Turning the page is a lot slower than I expected.

Where the problem is really obvious is with Newspapers. The first week I got my Nook, I subscribed to a month of The Wall Street Journal. Every morning it would show up in My Daily. I would open it and attempt to read it. Navigating through the Wall Street Journal was so slow that it was painful.

I eventually gave up and read my morning paper either on my PC using the BNReader there or on my iPhone using the BNReader ap. Both were far superior to the experience on the Nook. The ap on the iPhone is responsive and allows going to articles easily, the Nook does not. Getting down to an article at the bottom of a page requires many very slow field advances which take about a second each along with the corresponding e-ink flash. Not a great vehicle for reading publications with many articles on a page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
--- Carl Sagan
Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

Re: My biggest disappointment with the Nook

I bought my nook purposefully and exclusively for reading simply text-only books, primarily novels. I bought it knowing full well that it was not the best (or even a good) platform for reading magazines, newspapers, textbooks, technical manuals, etc., etc. And, I think that B&N (and Amazon with the Kindle, and Sony with their readers) are making a mistake to the extent that they market these devices otherwise. The beauty is how well-suited they are for their primary purpose, but they're definitely not attractive otherwise.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Here's a tip which may help a little bit:

If you press and hold either the up or down arrow, the selection will go directly to the top or the bottom without the incremental steps.  If you have 10 items on the page and you are trying to select item 8, jump to the bottom and step up twice rather than stepping down 8 times.

Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

This is what you need for magazines etc.  Can't wait to find out how much it'll be.  If the price is right, I'd scrap my nook in a heartbeat.

http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/ces/

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

eagleSB wrote:

This is what you need for magazines etc.  Can't wait to find out how much it'll be.  If the price is right, I'd scrap my nook in a heartbeat.

If I had to guess, I'd say that this (or something like PixelQI's tech) will be in the Kindle 3/nook 2/etc. And I'd buy one of these as well. Heck, I'd buy an iPad if it had a screen like this.

Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

and it's not total vaporware either.  check out youtube and search for "mirasol".  it gives some great demos of the display in action.  It's just a looping video - no app behind it - but it looks amazing

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

That looks fantastic.  I certainly hope devices with that screen can stay within my means.

Frequent Contributor
woodword
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

wynand32 wrote:

eagleSB wrote:

If I had to guess, I'd say that this (or something like PixelQI's tech) will be in the Kindle 3/nook 2/etc. And I'd buy one of these as well. Heck, I'd buy an iPad if it had a screen like this.

From the CES 2010 tech reviews:

"Mirasol technology is also rumoured to be in the new generation of Kindle e-readers and is definitely a technology to watch."

http://blogs.timeslive.co.za/mixedreality/2010/01/12/top-tech-trends-at-ces-2010/comment-page-1/#com...

Inspired Contributor
rotorhead
0 Kudos

lkmiller wrote:

Here's a tip which may help a little bit:

If you press and hold either the up or down arrow, the selection will go directly to the top or the bottom without the incremental steps.  If you have 10 items on the page and you are trying to select item 8, jump to the bottom and step up twice rather than stepping down 8 times.

Unfortunately many pages in the Wall Street Journal have many more than 10 links, The front page for instance will frequently have 20-30 links.

I suggest that if you are interested in finding out how painful it is to read this buy a single issue for $.99 and try it out.

Also, I have subscribed to WSJ for years on the web. I switched over to the BN subscription last month but have been mainly reading it on my iPhone. BN charges $14.99 for a month. If you subscribe directly from WSJ they charge $1.50 per week or $6.00 per month. Big difference.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
--- Carl Sagan
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

eagleSB wrote:

When this hits the market, if it performs as claimed, I'm sure we will be able to buy it in the Kindle-Color, Sony-Color, and of course the nook-color.

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

I have been reading the WSJ for a month now on my Nook.  The first few pages of every section has all the links with about a paragraph of the articles. You have a choice of either paging through until you go to the article or clicking the highlighted link with the touch screen. You also have the choice of going directly to the section you want to read.  It's really not that bad.

Contributor
icebike2
0 Kudos

eagleSB wrote:

NICE FIND this thing is awesome! has anyone else noticed the flood of nook onto the eBay market after update 1.2? just wondering if it was me or if people are just sick of BN?

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

The nook is not intended to fulfill unreasonable fantasies. 

I think people should wait and see how a mirasol display does with prolonged reading and on battery life.  There is nothing there that says that it will have color AND all the other attributes.   eInk devices are intended for intense text reading, not for general purpose reading.   My guess is that for quite some time to come, there will be devices that are for color reading but for realitively short reading sessions and eInk for long reading sessions of hours or more.   I don't think mirasols technology will compete in that marathon text category.

"Flood of nooks on eBay" ... give me a break.    There are literally tens of thousands of nooks out there now.   All the posts on this board are a tiny fraction of that.   The posts on eBay are an even smaller fraction.  "Flood" is just self absorbed subjective BS.

I'm satisfied with the nook.  It does what I want which is to help me read tremendous quantities of text.  I never expected more because I actually read what it's capabilities are and what the technology is about.

Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

GeoffreyF wrote:

I think people should wait and see how a mirasol display does with prolonged reading and on battery life.  There is nothing there that says that it will have color AND all the other attributes.   eInk devices are intended for intense text reading, not for general purpose reading.   My guess is that for quite some time to come, there will be devices that are for color reading but for realitively short reading sessions and eInk for long reading sessions of hours or more.   I don't think mirasols technology will compete in that marathon text category.

I agree we'll have to wait and see with Mirasol, but I have to disagree with some of your other statements.  There isn't a lot of info out there, but if you google it you can get quite a few hits.  I found the youtube videos to be the most interesting, but you have to take it all with a grain of salt.  There are a variety of sites that talk about it.  Yes, it does say they will have color and all the other attributes, but that will depend on the hardware behind the display as well.  My guess is it will be pricy to begin with.  There are even working prototypes showing full motion video that they had at CES. 

This technology is not backlit, but a reflective display similar to eink, thus should be similar reading experience.  I agree we're going to have to wait and see on a lot of the hype, but it may be a contender.

Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Check out this hands on Engadget report.  I'm hoping we're looking at nook2!

Frequent Contributor
jigray3
0 Kudos

icebike2 wrote:

has anyone else noticed the flood of nook onto the eBay market after update 1.2? just wondering if it was me or if people are just sick of BN?

That's a few eBay shills trying to profit from resale. Supply simply caught up with demand.

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

eagleSB wrote:
I agree we'll have to wait and see with Mirasol, but I have to disagree with some of your other

This technology is not backlit, but a reflective display similar to eink, thus should be similar reading experience.  I agree we're going to have to wait and see on a lot of the hype, but it may be a contender.

There is more to why eInk works well than just backlighting.   All that you see with eInk is in the same plane.  Not so LCD.  So, does Mirasol really completely and perfectly mimic a printed piece of plastic or paper?   Or ... do the different colors appear at slightly different depths in the medium?

there are many things that might make a color display nice for some things but still more tiring to read than eInk.

We will just have to see.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 733 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: