Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
datscorpiochik1989
0 Kudos

My computer doesnt recognize my nook

• ive owned my nook 3g since july of this year and its one of the devices i cant walk out of my house with. but lately everytime i plug my nook into my computer, my nook charge light will come on but the computer wont recognize it. theres no screen that pops up on the nook saying its connected. now i know for a fact theres something wrong with my nook and NOT my computer because when i plug in my phone and anyother device to my laptop into all the usb ports, it recognizes it automatically. other than that my nook works just fine. i can still wirelessly upload books from B&N and everything. but when i plug it in theres a problem. i need to know how to fix it asap because i want to download the new update. any information will be greatly appreciated... :smileyhappy: thank you
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: My computer doesnt recognize my nook

Try a reboot. Hold the power button down for 20 seconds to shut it all the way down (white screen). You may need to press the power button once more to complete the shutdown. Then turn it back on.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

1. Reboot PC, and reboot NOOK (power down, then back up).

2. When both are finished booting, plug in NOOK.

You can also try plugging the NOOK into different USB ports.  Specifically, sometimes the ports in the back are better than the ones in the front because they are “powered.”  Also, you can see if the users are connecting via a USB hub and if so, take the USB hub out of the equation.

New User
Shep5556
0 Kudos

I have a similar problem, if someone could speak to it? My Vista 32bit OS recognizes my Nook via USB only in "Device Manager" and "Disk Management". Curiously, the 1.3GBs memory that comes with the Nook shows as "RAW" memory in "Disk Management". In Windows Explorer if it shows up, it's listed as disk (E) 1.3GB and the 2GB micro SD card I installed in the Nook shows up as (F) disk. It does not show up as Nook. I have installed both Adobe Digital Editions and Calibre. The Nook doesn't show up in either. I've downloaded 41 E-Pub books from the Gutenberg Project. I cannot drag and drop any of these books to the Nook since there isn't any folders in Disk (E) and (F). Oh, I forgot to mention that I just upgraded to the latest 1.5 firmware which I was hoping would solve my problems. It seems as though the OS doesn't exist. My question is can I fix the problem by formatting the memory that came with the Nook and then create and name my own folders in Windows Explorer, or should I just take it back to Best Buy?     

New User
Dog_Student_Coll13
0 Kudos

I have tried that but my computer still doesnt recongize my nook

what should i do?

Frequent Contributor
4yesh4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

try to connect your nook from a different computer, if it works, it only means that there's nothing wrong with your nook.. or..

for Windows XP: on your desktop, right click My Computer / Computer, select properties, click on Hardware tab, click Device Manager, Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers then delete everything below it, after deleting, Click on Action Tab, then Scan for Hardware Changes, restart your computer

for WIndows Vista/7: click on start and search for Device Manager

Unanimous Decision
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 281 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: