Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Lobster200
0 Kudos

Re: My computer is no longer recognizing my nook

Mine is doing the same thing...I tried all ports on my lap top and all work perfectly with other devices, except for the Nook.  Funny thing is that the Nook seem to be charging, but that's all.  It doesn't recognize the device, nor does it recognize the SD card.  I do not think it has anything to do with the cable, otherwise, it would not even charge at all.  Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

Lobster200 wrote:

Mine is doing the same thing...I tried all ports on my lap top and all work perfectly with other devices, except for the Nook.  Funny thing is that the Nook seem to be charging, but that's all.  It doesn't recognize the device, nor does it recognize the SD card.  I do not think it has anything to do with the cable, otherwise, it would not even charge at all.  Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

Try another cable if you have one. The wires and pins for charging are different than those for data so you may well have a defective cable.

New User
ERGNY
0 Kudos

I'm having the exact same problem with my First Edition. I can plug it into my computer and it charges, but it doesn't recognize it as a device, and so I can't upload books to it from Adobe or the library. I've tried several different USB cords, and all my other devices work just fine with my PC. I also tried with a friend's PC and it still didn't work.

It works perfectly otherwise, so I hate to buy an entirely new Nook just because it won't hook up, especially since they're no longer selling First Editions.

Has anyone found a solution for this? I did a hard reset as well and it didn't help.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

First, have you tried it on some other computer...

The first edition just shows up as a raw "card reader", normally, so there are no computer side drivers involved (heck, on that subject, DO YOU HAVE an SD card installed -- you'd be seeing two "drives" then; if neither show up on any computer it is a true fault in the Nook. If one [the added SD card] shows up then there is something weird in the privileges on the internal memory partition).

What Nook operating system version are you on.

Baron Wulfraed
New User
ERGNY
0 Kudos

I have tried it on another computer and it still didn't work. No drive shows up on the computer when it is plugged in now - I don't have an SD drive for the Nook.

I'm on software version 1.7.0. I believe that is the most recent version.

New User
Marziepan
0 Kudos

I'm having the EXACT same problem. Rebooted everything, plug it in and it charges, but does not connect. This REALLY sucks. I don't like the new nooks because I don't need or want any of that extra crap. I just want my first edition nook to work like it always has.

New User
lilire
0 Kudos

I just noticed today that I have the same problem with my Nook. I've had this Nook for over 1 1/2 yrs and have been borrowing library ebooks for the same amount of time. Today I downloaded a couple of ebooks & connected my Nook to my laptop to transfer them over.  The Nook no longer appears in Adobe Digital Editions and it doesn't appear in My Computer on my laptop either.  1. I've rebooted both the Nook & my laptop several times.  2.  I tried another USB cable.  3.  My memory stick works fine.

Isn't it strange that this is happening to a number of us?  So Barnes & Noble Techies- what gives?

New User
lilire
0 Kudos

I forgot- my laptop is about 2 years old - Windows 7 operating system.

New User
lilire
0 Kudos

Other interesting tidbits-1.  in Windows Explorer Drive D is not listed. 2. When I do the diskpie view of My Computer Drive D is listed as a Removable disk. 3. Under Device Manager I find the BN Nook Simpletouch USB Device listed twice. The first one has no driver.  The second one does. It also says that "this device is working properly". I tried updating the driver- it says its up-to-date. 

I hope these details help you to help me and others with the same problem.

New User
fallenalexiel
0 Kudos

I just found this from a thread on a non BN site that helped me fix my problem:

All I would suggest is, with the Nook plugged in to the PC, open Device Manager (in Control Panel, or right-click Computer in the Start menu and go to Properties). Find the listing for the Nook, right-click, and Uninstall. When it is uninstalled, go the Actions menu and Scan for New Hardware.

Reader
lynne48185

I'm having the same problem.  I have an iMac that is less than a year old.  I've tried different USB ports, and no go.  My Nook does charge and the light on it comes on, but it doesn't appear on my desktop or in Adobe Digital Editions.  I've been downloading library books for over 2 years with no problem.  I sure wish someone had a solution :-(

New User
scor0046
0 Kudos

I had the same problem.   I called the hot line and we set the Nook back to the factory settings, and it still didn't work.  I lost all the items that I had downloaded from my computer.  I was kind of upset, so then I went back to the Barns and Noble store, and he connected my nook to the store computer and it worked.  I was told not all cords are the same.   Some cords will charge the battery ( I purchase new cords from ebay).  Well I purchased a cord from Barns and Noble, and as of today, it is now recognized my my computer.  So, a new cord from Barns and Noble worked for me.

New User
arun23
0 Kudos

nook color not recognized by my computer after windows7 installed. pl e-mail the solution to " arunachalam.arumugam@yahoo.com
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 234 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: