Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
jelliepair
0 Kudos

My computer is no longer recognizing my nook

Since I purchased my nook I have been using adobe digital editions to download ebooks from my library.  Every once in a while, when I would plug my nook into my computer to transfer a book I downloaded onto the nook, the "media" icon (where you drag the nook onto the nook) would not show up.  Now it will not show up at all and the computer, which used to recognize when I plugged the nook into my computer, no longer registers that the nook is a "device" and no longer asks me to end the device before unplugging because it isnt recognizing it to begin with.  This is a one year old dell computer with no other problems. 

When the nook is "tethered" to my computer, the icon appears on the nook saying it is in USB mode and asks me to properly eject it but it does not appear to be recognized by the computer.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the adobe program.  I am now at a loss.

PLEASE HELP!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: My computer is no longer recognizing my nook

jelliepair wrote:

Since I purchased my nook I have been using adobe digital editions to download ebooks from my library.  Every once in a while, when I would plug my nook into my computer to transfer a book I downloaded onto the nook, the "media" icon (where you drag the nook onto the nook) would not show up.  Now it will not show up at all and the computer, which used to recognize when I plugged the nook into my computer, no longer registers that the nook is a "device" and no longer asks me to end the device before unplugging because it isnt recognizing it to begin with.  This is a one year old dell computer with no other problems. 

When the nook is "tethered" to my computer, the icon appears on the nook saying it is in USB mode and asks me to properly eject it but it does not appear to be recognized by the computer.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the adobe program.  I am now at a loss.

PLEASE HELP!

Try rebooting both the computer and the Nook.  And, make sure you are ejecting properly, not using safely remove hardware, but the eject option.  You could also try a different USB port just to be sure it's not something to do with the port itself, but the first thing I'd try is rebooting both the Nook and PC.

Inspired Contributor
Plucknbach
0 Kudos

I am having similar issues.  since the computer does not recognize the nook device, there are not options to eject.  i'm not even able to use the safely remove  option.  Windows does not see the device. 

there must be a solution to this because it seems to be a common occurence with nook owners. 

Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer, and Watch this..."
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Plucknbach wrote:

I am having similar issues.  since the computer does not recognize the nook device, there are not options to eject.  i'm not even able to use the safely remove  option.  Windows does not see the device. 

there must be a solution to this because it seems to be a common occurence with nook owners. 

I don't think it's all that common, there are some posts here about it, but certainly not an overwhelming amount.  I've had it happen once, but it was totally my fault as I was messing around trying different ways to eject.  

Obviously, if the computer is not recognizing the device you can't eject it.  I assume that the Nook however, knows it is connected?  At that point, your only option is to disconnect it.

As I previously stated, I would try rebooting both devices and see if that helps.

Also, if you have an SD card in the Nook, it will show up as a separate drive and you need to eject it first.  Don't know if this applies or not, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Inspired Contributor
Plucknbach
0 Kudos

I too have a 8G HCSD card. 

I will try with a different USB cable.  The one that came with the unit may not be working.  I attempted again last night and the same results: Nothing.  It only locks up my pc and I would have to power down both pc and nook. 

I'm running Windows XP with SP2.  I wonder if updating to SP3 would work. 

Reader
jelliepair
0 Kudos

its definately a problem with the computer not recognizing the usb port.  i brought the whole thing to work today and everything worked just fine on my work computer...although i was not able to disconnect properly as part way through I get a message that the uSB was no longer recognized.  I am guessing it might be a touchy usb cable??

anyone know if the warranty (extedned or otherwise) covers the USB cable??

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

@jelliepair, I have a replacement CPO for my original NOOK Wifi because my micro-USB port went bad.

It took a couple of phone calls - first we tried a new battery, then a new AC Adaptor and Cable and finally a replacement device, but it was all covered under the manufacturer's warranty.  (It was about 3 months old when the issue showed itself.) 

Good luck!

Inspired Contributor
Plucknbach
0 Kudos

Re: My computer is no longer recognizing my nook: A little bit of success today

Hello, 

today, I hooked up the usb cable to another port.  My Pc recognized it.  At first with I right clicked on the nook/E: directory to look at the memory it only showed 1.5 GB available.  which is ok but where is the memory for my 8GB SDHC card.  A bit puzzled until I realized that it showed on another Directory G: I clicked on the G:directory and there it was. 7.59 GB available. 

I then proceeded to drag and drop some music files.  One thing I noticed is that nook didn't like the album cover art that usually comes with cd copies of albums.  It locked  during and I had to hard close my pc and nook.  At first I could not even turn off the nook and it was stuck on the USB screen.  I opened up the back and removed the battery and reinstalled.  the nook then cycled. 

I hooked up the nook again to the pc after rebooting and there it was.  I'm happy again. 

this time, I drag and dropped a couple of music files at a time instead of the whole album folder.  this worked.  I now am able to download music into my music files in the nook without having to pull the memory card out. 

The Nook's USB is moody but if you nice to it, it'll do what it's suppose to do. 

Good Reads,

Carlo

Reader 2
GeoffB72
0 Kudos

My Nook wasn't connecting to my PC at home, but was fine with my PC at work. So the note about problems with USB ports got me thinking. I didn't have a spare hub, but I had a USB extender. So I plugged the Nook into that and the extender into my computer. Whatever my computer's problem with the Nook cord went away and it connected right away. Incidentally, it didn't charge, so I think that's what made the difference - once the Nook was just connecting, but not trying to draw power too, the problem went away.

New User
BornToReadTX
0 Kudos

I've been experiencing the same problem with my computer not recognizing my Nook when I plug into a USB port.  Computer is about one yr old, so I assume there is no problem with it.  I get a message saying it overloads the port and I have to "reset" the port.  I have tried all four USB ports on my computer.

finally spent $25 on a new Nook USB cable, but it makes no difference. Nook seems to be working fine and downloads books I purchase just fine on wireless.  Just not connecting to computer!

Any other suggestions??  I'm about to throw out my Nook and save up for an iPad.  Help!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

BornToReadTX wrote:

I've been experiencing the same problem with my computer not recognizing my Nook when I plug into a USB port.  Computer is about one yr old, so I assume there is no problem with it.  I get a message saying it overloads the port and I have to "reset" the port.  I have tried all four USB ports on my computer.

finally spent $25 on a new Nook USB cable, but it makes no difference. Nook seems to be working fine and downloads books I purchase just fine on wireless.  Just not connecting to computer!

Any other suggestions??  I'm about to throw out my Nook and save up for an iPad.  Help!

When your computer is complaining that the NOOK is overloading the port, it means that the NOOK is trying to draw more power than the port provides.

Many laptop ports will not supply power to the USB ports when they are running on battery, you might want to try keeping your laptop plugged in when connecting your NOOK.

The iPad draws much more power than a NOOK, so if the power is the cause of your problem, it would be worse with the iPad.

Contributor
tikanique
0 Kudos

My laptop used to recognize my nook but now it doesn't.  I get a message saying that the laptop is unable to download the drivers / unrecongizable device in the port.  I've tried all the ports on my laptop and get the same message.  However when I plug other things into those same ports, they work, i.e. cell phone, mouse, keyboard, etc.  My cord works because my coworker constantly borrows it to charge her nook and iPad.

There was a recent update to Windows that I was informed is the reason my nook isn't recognized anymore.  Is there going to be an update to the nook that fixes this problem?

New User
SalSB
0 Kudos

My Nook is doing the same thing.  I've even tried different computers.  I even uninstalled, and reinstalled Adobe reader.  It's the Nook cable, or the Nook itself.  So disappointing to have had these problems when I've only had this thing a few months.

New User
SalSB
0 Kudos

I think you must work for B&N.  Mine does not work.  It used to, but now it does not.  I have done EVERYTHING B&N said to try, apart from unregistering my Nook.  The problems started when I started checking books out from the library.  I think the Nook wants me to PURCHASE books; they've made that ridiculously easy.  Reading books for free doesn't help B&N.  I'm fed up, and want a refund.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Technique wrote:

My laptop used to recognize my nook but now it doesn't.  I get a message saying that the laptop is unable to download the drivers / unrecongizable device in the port.  I've tried all the ports on my laptop and get the same message.  However when I plug other things into those same ports, they work, i.e. cell phone, mouse, keyboard, etc.  My cord works because my coworker constantly borrows it to charge her nook and iPad.

There was a recent update to Windows that I was informed is the reason my nook isn't recognized anymore.  Is there going to be an update to the nook that fixes this problem?

This thread includes entries from a period when the Nook First Edition and Nook Simple Touch were both on topic into a combined pair of forums for both models. That pair of forums have since been separated in separate pairs with each pair for only one of those two Nook eReader models. Please let us know which model you are having problems with. People with knowledge about the Simple Touch might be reading the two Simple Touch forums more frequently.

Since you believe your operating system might be causing your problem, reporting the version number of your Windows operating system might enhance the ability of others to determine what's causing your problem. With some Windows versions you can get version information by right clicking on "My Computer" (possibly just "Computer") and clicking "Properties". There may also be less complete version information on your display during the startup sequence, but that might help someone with a similar version (XP, Vista, 7 etc) advise you on how tow obtain more detailed Windows version information (might include numbers, "SP" and some periods).

Does your computer recognize Flash Drives (sometimes called a "thumb drive")? They might have more in common with the Nook than devices like mice, keyboaeds and posibly even cell phones.

New User
Texans_5
0 Kudos

I just experienced the same challenge. I tried connecting my Nook to my MacBook Pro to download books from my local library. No luck using the usb cable that came with my Nook. I tried another usb cable and it worked like a charm.

New User
MALG
0 Kudos

My computers are no longer recognizing my nook

I have been having the same problem for the last few months.  Have tried soft and hard reboot of NOOK (1st edition), different USB cables, different PCs (running WIN 7 Pro, WIN 7 Home and WIN XP), all the ports on all the PCs/Laptops.  Nook charges from PC and laptop USB ports, but none of the PCs/Laptops recognize the nook as a device any longer.  That means I can't get library books via Adobe Digital Editions any longer.

Is there a way to reload the actual NOOK operating system (or its equivalent?).  This seems to be a NOOK software issue.

New User
ShaleAM
0 Kudos

I have the same problem - when I plug the Nook in, it does not show up at all. I tried all ports and...nothing. The ports are fine - I can hook up everything from phone, iPod, stick...

I had emailed tech support but they are less than helpful.

New User
ShaleAM
0 Kudos

Maybe I should add that I have the first edition color...
Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Try a different computer or a different USB cable. The USB cable or the port at the bottom of the NOOK might have gotten damaged (even if treated gently). The staff at a B&N might be able to test your cable or Nook if you don't have a spare cord. Note that the data transfers that accomplish the "drive" functions involve conductors in the cable that might not be involved in recharging the Nook.

When you connect to the computer does the Nook show it's usual warning about "ejecting" it before disconnecting again or turning the Nook off?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 532 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: