Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
New User
ChelleMB
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-21-2010
0 Kudos

My nook is broken

I refuse to go through this. This nook is not cheap. I expect people to not sell something that doesn't yet work, and if they know it has problems, I expect 24 hour servicing. I read all times of night, and now I can't because my nook just shut off and won't come back on. No, I am not going to be accommodating, and no, I'm not going to understand the 'beginning difficulties' - if you know they're there, then DON'T SELL THE THING UNTIL IT'S FIXED!

If you insist on selling a broken product, then PROVIDE SERVICE!

 

I wan't sure about Barnes & Noble, but chose nook over Kindle due to features - one of which, the choice of back cover I was told about, has been rescinded now that they have figured they can charge for it - too bad they neglected to tell this to the storepeople, who expected me to be able to choose while ordering!

 

I will be returning my nook and buying a Kindle forthwith - and yes, I want my money back immediately, including refunds for the books I had bought during the 1/2 day it actually worked. Otherwise, I would be happy to sue and contact the Better Business Bureau.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

Bye, have fun with the Kindle.

 

Mine has worked without a single problem, I did take the time to learn how to use it though - just as I do with anything I purchase.  You don't seem to think that is an option as per your other post on this board:

 

"I don't know what 'epub' is. I don't know how to do anything except turn the thing on and order books, and I don't understand why I should have to. The nook isn't sold with a 'only software savvy need purchase' label. It's supposed to take the place of the book. I expect to be able to pick the darn thing up and read it. WITHOUT the problems I have experienced."

 

Based on that (above) post from you, I don't think you are going to have any better luck with the Kindle, I wish you well though!

Correspondent
Princess_V
Posts: 53
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry you're having issues w/your nook.  Your post appeared in the "nook Q&A and Support" section,  are you just venting?  Because I hope you realize the board can't accept your nook as a return or refund your money!

 

 

As a side note...... perhaps you need to fully charge it!   And good luck w/your new Kindle!

Inspired Contributor
WarBrand
Posts: 46
Registered: ‎02-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

[ Edited ]

Comment deleted by commenter.

 

I reacted badly to the rant.

 

Good luck in your battle with technology.

Don't give up, don't ever give up.
Frequent Contributor
Shrew
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎12-13-2009
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

 


ChelleMB wrote:

I will be returning my nook and buying a Kindle forthwith - and yes, I want my money back immediately, including refunds for the books I had bought during the 1/2 day it actually worked. Otherwise, I would be happy to sue and contact the Better Business Bureau.


 

Bye bye.

 

 

 

~ Pam

~ Pam
http://smiling-raindrops.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
Posts: 1,294
Registered: ‎12-31-2008
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

Imagine the other tech problems the OP must have. VCR still flashes 12:00, burned out light bulbs are still burned out, a flashlight still unused, and an unfilled paper towel holder.

 

Bye. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
Posts: 708
Registered: ‎12-10-2009
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

 


FrogAlum wrote:

 

Based on that (above) post from you, I don't think you are going to have any better luck with the Kindle, I wish you well though!


 

I completely disagree.  For someone who doesn't want to deal with registering, sideloading, etc, the Kindle is the way to go.  It comes preregistered so no issue there.  It has the broadest  range of ebooks, magazines, and newspapers to purchase from  and they are easy to find in the estore.  If they do want to purchase from another site, most can be done directly form the Kindle so no need to sideload.  Bookmarks, highlighting, pagenoting, and earmarking can all be done without any problems.  Dictionary works correctly and does not take you from the page you are reading.  The nook will be a better device when all of its problems are fixed.  But, for now, it still requires to many work arounds even with the recent updates.

 

Contributor
hitekrider
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎02-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

Some of you fail to recognize there ARE problems with the Nook. I had mine a week and am waiting another week for a replacement due to it dying.I am not alone.  I AM computer saavy and tried all the fixes on the boards prior to calling customer service. No need to belittle other posters, we are all at different levels and, like many other posters, I feel that Barnes and Noble released the Nook a little early. I expected 24 hour service when my new Nook died. After all, I was in the middle of reading several books on it.

Frequent Contributor
LeilaniLK
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎02-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

Can I just add that the option to change the back cover has always been something that was charged for?  B&N never said that when you ordered you could choose a different back cover, they said that nook owners had the option of purchasing a different one.  And the back covers are now back to  being offered on the site.

 

As for Alley 415's comment that Amazon has the most extensive ebook library, let me just say that I
 bought the Kindle 2 when it first came out and Amazon's library was not so extensive at the time.  It took time for them to develop that extensive library.

 

Also I had more problems with the Kindle when I first bought it than I have had with the Nook.  The Kindle froze up on me on more than one occassion.  So far I have had no problems with my nook.  As I said on another post, I love my Nook so much I GAVE my Kindle away. 

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
Posts: 708
Registered: ‎12-10-2009
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

 


LeilaniLK wrote:

Can I just add that the option to change the back cover has always been something that was charged for?  B&N never said that when you ordered you could choose a different back cover, they said that nook owners had the option of purchasing a different one.  And the back covers are now back to  being offered on the site.

 

As for Alley 415's comment that Amazon has the most extensive ebook library, let me just say that I
 bought the Kindle 2 when it first came out and Amazon's library was not so extensive at the time.  It took time for them to develop that extensive library.

 

Also I had more problems with the Kindle when I first bought it than I have had with the Nook.  The Kindle froze up on me on more than one occassion.  So far I have had no problems with my nook.  As I said on another post, I love my Nook so much I GAVE my Kindle away. 


You need to reread what she said.  She stated that the cover was offered to her buy the salesperson at her local B&N store.  If they told her incorrectly, then that is still on B&N.  There have been numerous accounts of people being told things incorrectly by store staff.  B&N simply didn't prepare their staff for the launch. 
I agree Kindle had to build up their selection.  However, never did they advertise magazines and newspapers to be available and then not provide them and refuse to post a date they will be available.  In addition, Amazon' store is still growing at a rate that is about the same as B&N.  B&N should be growing by leaps and bounds over Amazon if they ever hope to catch up.  I believe and someone can correct me if I am wrong that Amazon's store had about 390,000 titles at the nook's launch.  They now have over 454,000.  B&N boasted over a million titles at launch including Google and they have 1,068,684.  No clue as to how many are B&N versus Google.  Add to that they have already announced they will support an application for the iPad whereas B&N has not.

 

 

Correspondent
Large_Marge
Posts: 104
Registered: ‎01-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

[ Edited ]

ChelleM:  "I would be happy to sue."

 

Keep us posted on that lawsuit.  Should make interesting reading.  :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
Posts: 4,434
Registered: ‎11-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

Large_Marge was speechless?

Correspondent
Large_Marge
Posts: 104
Registered: ‎01-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

 


icebike wrote:

Large_Marge was speechless?


 

I was laughing so hard at a couple of the responses I hit the wrong key.  :smileyhappy:

 

New User
bookhappyKH
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎02-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

I understand your frustration. I am constantly having issues with mine. Have not been able to finish reading one book. It dies quickly, won't turn on - freezes- and loses my place. I am not happy with B and N. I also bought several books now that I can't read. And getting help with it has not been easy. It has been very diappointing. The plan was for it to simplfy, not drain my time.

Frequent Contributor
trureader
Posts: 49
Registered: ‎12-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

  I have an appointment with an attorney also  Tomorrow morning 

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
Posts: 1,294
Registered: ‎12-31-2008
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

And then you have the "I hate the nook and I won't stop until you do too" crowd.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
trureader
Posts: 49
Registered: ‎12-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

  I love Space-a Age Book! Don"t even think that I don"t!!!  If I didn"t do you think I would have run into B&N with it over my head screaming "I have a nook I have a nook?" Then to stand in embarassed silence while she ate herself? I danced in th isles<I attracted a crowd.I slunk out .I should have known something was wrong when the liar who sold Space-Age Book to me picked up a stack of books & "walked" at 25 mph. to the other end of the store when I ran into the store and told everyone to look at this.OMG

 

     B&N should not lie about something I love as much as I do my nook.

Frequent Contributor
LeilaniLK
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎02-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken


Alley415 wrote:

 

You need to reread what she said.  She stated that the cover was offered to her buy the salesperson at her local B&N store.  If they told her incorrectly, then that is still on B&N.  There have been numerous accounts of people being told things incorrectly by store staff.  B&N simply didn't prepare their staff for the launch. 
I agree Kindle had to build up their selection.  However, never did they advertise magazines and newspapers to be available and then not provide them and refuse to post a date they will be available.  In addition, Amazon' store is still growing at a rate that is about the same as B&N.  B&N should be growing by leaps and bounds over Amazon if they ever hope to catch up.  I believe and someone can correct me if I am wrong that Amazon's store had about 390,000 titles at the nook's launch.  They now have over 454,000.  B&N boasted over a million titles at launch including Google and they have 1,068,684.  No clue as to how many are B&N versus Google.  Add to that they have already announced they will support an application for the iPad whereas B&N has not.

 

 


I am very capable of reading, hence the use of a nook.  I also understand that when spending $260 on a product such as this you research it.  When I placed my order I had went to a B&N to see the nook personally, read the information offered on the website, and read the available reviews from customers as well as tech reviews.  After having done just a small portion of that research I knew that if I wanted a different back I would have to shell out $20 for it.  Amazon doesn't offer this option at all.  I did the same amount of reasearch when buying the Kindle (which by the way when I bought it cost more than the $260 pricetag it does now).  When people spend this kind of money on products such as these, I believe  (meaning it is my opinion) that it is their responsibility to know what they are spending their money on and if they don't, that becomes their problem.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
Posts: 708
Registered: ‎12-10-2009
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

 


Leaning wrote:

I am very capable of reading, hence the use of a nook.  I also understand that when spending $260 on a product such as this you research it.  When I placed my order I had went to a B&N to see the nook personally, read the information offered on the website, and read the available reviews from customers as well as tech reviews.  After having done just a small portion of that research I knew that if I wanted a different back I would have to shell out $20 for it.  Amazon doesn't offer this option at all.  I did the same amount of research when buying the Kindle (which by the way when I bought it cost more than the $260 practice it does now).  When people spend this kind of money on products such as these, I believe  (meaning it is my opinion) that it is their responsibility to know what they are spending their money on and if they don't, that becomes their problem.


 

THe backs have only recently been added to the site for purchase in the last few days.  They were removed for about a month so she would have had no way of knowing the option of buying or the cost if she looked during that time.

 

Frequent Contributor
pidgeon92
Posts: 173
Registered: ‎10-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: My nook is broken

 


LeilaniLK wrote:

 I also understand that when spending $260 on a product such as this you research it. 


 

I would consider talking to a customer service rep "research." It is unfortunate that you have to do additional research to find out if they are giving you accurate information.

 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
323
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 283 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: