Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Apheria
0 Kudos

My nook just died...and a part of me with it.

So, I pull my nook out, after finishing reading a book not even 4hrs prior, and I power it up, and I have to set it down for like 2 mins to get my coffee, when I come back the Nook is freaking out, like something is touching the touch screen, changing font, page turns, and then the touch screen starts to flicker and to my horror, clicked off, never to wake up again.  I've done all the troubleshooting tips, and nothing...it just died!!

Has this happened to anyone else!!

The battery is fine, I didn't drop it, the only blemishes it had was from the first week I got it before I put a sleeve on it, the buttons cracked.  Like one page turn and it cracked.  I bought it in February of '10 so its not even a year old, and at 259bucks, it shouldn't have just died!  But like the silly gal I am, I didn't buy the extended warranty, and it looks like not much is covered with the basic.

Im really hoping I can get a hold of someone today.  You never know how bad it feels to have a Nook be on top of the world, reading on a whim, to nothing...I think I need a hug.

Inspired Contributor
astrangerhere

Re: My nook just died...and a part of me with it.

I am copying this directly from Michael_V in the 1.5 update thread. Hope it helps!

Use the following procedure to restore functionality to an unresponsive NOOK.

Initial conditions:  Ensure NOOK is properly ejected or unplugged from any AC outlet or USB power source prior to performing this procedure. You will need a clear space with good lighting as there are small parts which may become lost in the battery removal portion of this procedure. 

Equipment: (1) Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), (1) USB cord w/charger.

1)      Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery.  To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed.  A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.

2)      Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.

Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.

3)      Remove the battery from the NOOK for 15-30 minutes.

4)      Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds.  This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

5)      After 15-30 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.

6)      At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet.  Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”

The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. --To Kill a Mockingbird
New User
Apheria
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting yeah... thats the troubleshooting log I went by, like I said, It just died.  I mean no flicker of a battery connection, pulling the battery out, with the plug, the light came on once, then nothing, left it out, held it for a minute, replaced battery, nothing.  (a quiet sob later) I did the process all over again.  

My main thinking is what would cause it to have to be hard reset to begin with?  What would cause it just to freak out and die!

Anyways, I'll probably go bananas today and just buy the standard nook (I had the 3G+wifi) and the extended warranty, so I never have to go through this again.  Really I'm just devastated.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369

If you purchased it in Feb 2010 it is still under warranty.  I would call Customer Service and talk to them about having it replaced.  I would not purchase a new nook in your case.  The cracked page turn buttons are a known manufacturers defect and the recent behavior of your nook certainly doesn't appear to be anything caused by you.  Call Customer Service !!!

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Contributor
astrangerhere
0 Kudos

I am with Gandalf on this one... getting a replacement for cracked buttons is SUPER easy. Just call customer service and let them know at the outset that you need a cracked button replacement. I got mine within 3 days.

The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. --To Kill a Mockingbird
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Apheria wrote:

Anyways, I'll probably go bananas today and just buy the standard nook (I had the 3G+wifi) and the extended warranty, so I never have to go through this again.  Really I'm just devastated.

Definitely don't.  Just call CS and they should replace it based on the cracked button.

It might be a refurb that you get, but even with the extended warranty on a Wifi, you'd get a refurb if something went wrong.

Inspired Contributor
astrangerhere
0 Kudos

Also, don't fear the refurb. The only difference I could tell between my refurb and a brand new unit was the lack of a brand new unit box.

Frequent Contributor
PocketGoddess
0 Kudos

That could actually be considered a PLUS for the refurb, since those dang plastic boxes are so hard to open.

I was relieved when I saw that the NOOKcolor came in a nice cardboard box with an easy to open bottom flap!

Inspired Contributor
aharey
0 Kudos

Mine freaked out like yours did and I was actually in a BN store when it happened. I took it to the Nook people and they replaced it with a new one- they couldn't figure it out either. I'd definitely call CS or go to a store with it.

Frequent Contributor
Iain010100
0 Kudos

PocketGoddess wrote:

... those dang plastic boxes are so hard to open.

The nooks (classics) are now sold in easy to open cardboard boxes.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Apheria,

I did not advise you charge your NOOK without the battery.  Please read my instructions and try these steps again exactly how it is posted.

Please let me know if your issue was resolved.

Frequent Contributor
readley
0 Kudos

Hugs!  Whatever the reason for your nook dying, it must be painful.

I had a wonderful experience with the in-store CS people.  I stormed in like a thundercloud with a frozen nook under my arm, and they immediately soothed my fears, confirmed the problem, and replaced the nook.  If you live near a store, consider taking your nook there. 

And of course Michael seems very attentive here on the boards . . . .

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 439 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: