Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CatsRUs
0 Kudos

N1E: 1.6 Invite and Further Complications

Hi,

3G/WiFi, no home WiFi.  3G user.

So, a message inviting me to update to 1.6 showed up in The Daily the other day.

I ignored it, seeing how 1.6 has been a huge Fluster Cluck.  I thought I'd take a trip to the B&N down the road and load up 1.7 off their WiFi.  I'm too lazy to sideload...

Now, I can get the Nook out of sleep mode, but the color touch screen is frozen, with that little invitation still in the bottom left hand corner of the reader screen.

So, here are the questions:

Will I have to load up the Dread Update 1.6, and then upload 1.7?

Is there a way to avoid the Dread Update 1.6 and upload 1.7?

Can I keep the Nook on 1.5?

Is this frozen screen normal for updates?  A frozen screen is something new for me!  Yikes!

Should I just drive down to the B&N and hand the machine to the very nice Nook Manager and say "Here you go!  Please help me!" like I usually do?  :smileyhappy:

What say you, you kind message board people?

Thanks.  ---CatsRUs

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: N1E: 1.6 Invite and Further Complications

CatsRUs wrote:
So, here are the questions:

Will I have to load up the Dread Update 1.6, and then upload 1.7? Nope, you should be able to go straight to 1.7

Is there a way to avoid the Dread Update 1.6 and upload 1.7? Yep.

Can I keep the Nook on 1.5? You can do this also, though if you run into an issue in the future, upgrading to 1.7 is probably the first thing they'll have you do.  For me, I'm staying 1.5 for the time being.

Is this frozen screen normal for updates?  A frozen screen is something new for me!  Yikes!  No, this means it probably didn't install correctly.  You may need to do a factory rollback.  Just in case, you should connect it to your computer and copy all the books on it, so that you can re-load them on the off chance you do need to roll back.

Should I just drive down to the B&N and hand the machine to the very nice Nook Manager and say "Here you go!  Please help me!" like I usually do?  :smileyhappy:  Absolutely.  Just make a copy of your books in case the Nook Manager needs to roll back to factory.

What say you, you kind message board people?

Thanks.  ---CatsRUs

Answers in bold above.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
CatsRUs
0 Kudos

Hi Keriflur,

The Nook is still frozen this morning.  I'm a little reluctant to hook it into the computer in a frozen jammed-up state, so I'll drive to the store later today.

I should have all my books saved on the B&N account, so no worries there.

I'm still wondering why the Dreaded 1.6 showed up at all, instead of 1.7.  Strange, that.

Thanks for the help.  Bold answers, indeed!  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
CatsRUs
0 Kudos

Fixed in store, by the Nook manager. 

1.7 is up and running.  Yay!

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

CatsRUs wrote:

Fixed in store, by the Nook manager. 

1.7 is up and running.  Yay!

Yah for you! I have had such better luck taking my Nook into a store when I have problems than in calling tech support. When you call them the solution to any and all problems is to do a hard reboot. Who wants to lose all their sideloaded books and shelves unless it is absolutely necessary? It seems they operate under the assumption that their only tool is a hammer and evry Nook problem is a nail.

Frequent Contributor
CatsRUs
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Kath, I learned about the black hole of B&N telephone CS when I got the Nook for Christmas. 

I quit calling after long miserable rounds of endless hold loops, polite apologies, and empty promises to call back.  Hours and hours...

After the extra $110 on my phone bill (minutes overage) I haven't called since.  The Nook manager at the B&N down the road is super-duper great!

EDIT:  No, the manager didn't have to do a hard reboot.  Everything was fine on the Nook, just as it was before.  :smileyhappy:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 806 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: