Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
denitta
0 Kudos

NOOK keeps shutting itself down

help! I have the nook wifi version.  Software and all has been updated.  The Nook randomly shuts itself down.  I might be reading it and going to another page in an eBook or perhaps I put it down to go check something and when I come back it is completely powered down.  No "sleep screen"or anything like that.  Blank,just plain blank page.

Any thoughts on what might cause this?  I love my nook, but I travel with it and having to power up and down over and over to get through a flight is not my idea of convenience. 

Thanks.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK keeps shutting itself down

Not sure if this will help but it's worth taking a look at this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Lockup-Fix-for-My-Nook/m-p/469191/high...

From your description it could be a problem with the battery making good constant contact.

Good luck . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I thought it might be what Gandalf said too, and was going to suggest trying the shim, and post my shim picture.  

But then I seemed to remember that the shim problem left the nook frozen, not OFF.

That might have changed in version 1.5, maybe the force it to OFF now if there is a momentary battery contact loss.

But the shutdown while reading had me baffled,  Thats almost unheard of.  Lockups while reading, yeah, but shutdowns, not so much.

Anyway the battery shim won't hurt anything. So give it a try.

New User
denitta
0 Kudos

thankS!!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 621 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: