New User
martievans_nook_noob
0 Kudos

NOOK won't connect to DLink DIR-632 wireless router

Can't activate my brand-new Nook.  Caught in endless cycle where it finds the DLink wireless hot spot, connects to it using the security password I enter, but then when trying to activate the device it waits 30 sec or so then reports that I have a network connectivity problem.  Reports code F-113.  Have tried power cycling the Nook, the router, both repeatedly.  Still same problem.  Nook reports it's connected to the DLink, speed 65MBps, signal strength good to excellent, and reports a correct IP address.  Still can't activate device.

So fed up I'm ready to smash Nook to bits with a hammer...

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK won't connect to DLink DIR-632 wireless router

I don't recall the brand new startup procedure, if you are locked into an activation loop,

or you can get out of it -

Just out of curiosity,

can you go to the web browser and browse to a website like say Google ?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Are you running your router in mixed g/n mode?  If so, try switching the router to either just g or just n.

On some routers, the nook has trouble connecting in mixed mode.

New User
martievans_nook_noob
0 Kudos

Every other wireless device in my house works fine in all respects w/ this router - two different Macs (one running OSX 4.x and the other running Snow Leopard), Wii (enabled for Netflix viewing), iPhone 3, Motorola Atrix 4G, Samsung Galaxy Tab (running Froyo), old Dell laptop running XP.

New User
martievans_nook_noob
0 Kudos

Running router in mixed b/g/n mode, w/ channels 40 MHz wide.  Some other Web posting said problem was due to runnning only in g (or n) mode, which is why I left it as mixed mode.

Sure this is necessary? Problem is, I have devices that are g not n, others that are n.  Don't want to penalize the n devices by forcing them to run in g if that's avoidable.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

martievans_nook_noob wrote:

Running router in mixed b/g/n mode, w/ channels 40 MHz wide.  Some other Web posting said problem was due to runnning only in g (or n) mode, which is why I left it as mixed mode.

Sure this is necessary? Problem is, I have devices that are g not n, others that are n.  Don't want to penalize the n devices by forcing them to run in g if that's avoidable.

The way that n routers work, if a g-only device connects to the router when n devices are connected, the g device pulls all other devices down to g speed.  So, depending on how often you connect your g devices, you're probably not getting n speeds as often as you should be.

If you have a old g router hanging around the house you might want to daisy chain them, connecting your g devices on the g router and running your n router in n-only mode for the n-capable devices.  You'll get more consistently fast speeds on your n devices and resolve the nook issue in the process.

FWIW, I had the same problem with my router running in b/g/n mode.  I did have a g router lying around and the solution above worked well for me.  However, I did at lot of research on routers when trying to solve the problem and learned that I could further increase my n speeds by getting a dual band router.  So I bought a Linksys E2500 from Amazon.  The 5ghz channel is n-only and works great for our laptops and is a lot faster.  My netbook, phone and both nooks connect to the 2.4ghz channel and for whatever reason, the nook has no trouble connecting to the E2500 router in mixed g/n mode.  So, if you have the cash and want to upgrade your setup, that might be an option also.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

keriflur is correct.  All single "mode" devices move to the lowest common speed:  If you have a b/g/n wireless device or even a b/g and a b-type device connects, everything will be moved to b.

I suspect that a majority of the issues with connectivity is caused by not understanding this fact (once everything else is straight).  And with the popularity of n-type devices on the rise this will occur more.

New User
Tex-Nex
0 Kudos

Had the IDENTICAL problem. Spent hours on the phone with B&N customer support, but still couldn't make it work. Read the post about switching 802.11 from mixed mode to only g or n. Switched my router to g and it starting working right away. That's the ticket!

New User
emievegas
0 Kudos

I too, am having the same problem. Cox my internet company doesn't support technical support for your third party router. BN support says I need to add the Mac Address to my router. This is stupid to have this much problem for the Nook, I can connect to the hotspot on my Sprint phone, and everywhere else except my home wifi.  I feel like throwing this thing against the wall also.

New User
erin75
0 Kudos

how did you switch your router to mixed mode?  can you tell me what to change?

New User
kmDE
0 Kudos

I have a DIR-615 router and was having similar issues with my new Simple Touch Nook.  All of my other wireless devices work fine, including my first edition Nook.  B&N and cable company support were no help.  Found a suggestion on one of the many strings like this one and in my router's Advanced Settings located the WMM Enable and unchecked it.  Wireless worked immediately.  Thanks so much for everyone out there trying to help.

New User
Apeto
0 Kudos

I hope this helps! I tried all I coul think off with wirelss router. Finally this what I did. I reseted my wireless router, hold reset button 2 or 3 times until you see the power botton goes to orange, wait until power botton turns green. This will make your wireless connection unsecured,(no problem you will secure it later on!). if you have a PCor laptop that are wireless search for a wireless connection; you'll find your dlink 632 router, (I did this with windows vista, all depends on your system, mine was a piece ok cake) once you clickto connect, your PC will ask you to type PIN # on back of the router, do this and just follow instruction, Name network, password etc. I did change name of connection just to make sure I did not get confused, this will do it. Just remember to update your wirelss connection in all your other gadgets with correct  iwireless name and access code. Good luck to all. Like I said this was easier than spending hour trying to find a solution following tech support, or router  manual.

New User
WizarDru
0 Kudos

Wow, glad I found this thread.  At home, I have two wifi routers, both of which give none of the nooks in our house any problems (1 original nook, 1 simple touch and now two tablets!).  At the office, however, my new nook tablet was unable to stay connected to the wifi.

I would connect to the company's D-Link wifi router (DAP-2553) and successfully establish a connection.  With a few moments, however, it would say 'testing connection' and then after a few tries would say 'connected, but no internet' and then I'd get a notification triangle with an exclamation point on the lower left of the screen.  This same wifi router was allowing my iPhone and iPad to connect.

After reading this thread, however, I connected to the office wifi router (being one of the IT guys here) and turned off Wi-Fi MultiMedia extensions (or WMM).  I saved and applied, which rebooted the router.  Instantly, I could browse the web from my nook.

Thanks, all!

New User
BTech
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for the input. I have been so frustrated with my NOOK and the wireless feature. But turning off WMM worked perfect!! Staying connected! Yahoo! I really want this working when my niece comes to visit.

Thanks again!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:54 members 476 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: