Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
sheila_c
0 Kudos

Need to Unregister my Nook

I've upgraded to Nook Color and sold my Nook to a friend. I need to unregister, however I can't. The instructions say:

Deregister your NOOK by tapping on the Settings icon in the color screen area of the device. Tap the "Device" menu option, then "Unregister your NOOK". If your NOOK is not available and you need to disable account access, please change your password by clicking here.

However:

1. the unregister option does not appear.
  2. When I try to re-register it for my friend it says it's already registered. The Nook still appears in my account, but not hers.
  3. I have restored it to factory settings with no change in 1 and 2 above.

I'm in an endless circle of doom. Any suggestions?

New User
sheila_c
0 Kudos

Re: Need to Unregister my Nook

Never mind. I found the answer. If anyone else stumbles across this thread with the same problem, you need to register your nook as you.

Once that is done, when you go back to device you will now see the option to unregister it.

New User
cuddlestg
0 Kudos

how do you unregister your nook first generation bought my wife one from a pawn shop and trying to figure out how to unregister it

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Typically, that should have been done by the original owner before pawning it.

I've never had to unregister mine so I don't know what it asks for -- I'd hope it wouldn't unregister without some confirmation (registered email at minimum, email and B&N account password more likely). Otherwise any one stealing a registered Nook could unregister and reregister it.

The Unregister command is under Settings/Device. (And the user guide is explicit that one needs to Unregister BEFORE using RESET to FACTORY).

Baron Wulfraed
DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Erasing and deregistering a Nook requires only a WiFi connection, and pressing confirmation buttons.  No password (or eMail confirmation) is required.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

Erasing and deregistering a Nook requires only a WiFi connection, and pressing confirmation buttons.  No password (or eMail confirmation) is required.

Actually the problem occurs when A NOOK is reset/erased without being un-registered.

Because the NOOK has been reset, it no longer has the account information to connect to the B&N servers and un-register itself from them.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LarryOnLI wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

Actually the problem occurs when A NOOK is reset/erased without being un-registered.

Because the NOOK has been reset, it no longer has the account information to connect to the B&N servers and un-register itself from them.

That's correct, but that wasn't the question being asked/answered.

You are correct to emphasize that a factory reset should not be performed on a registered device.   However, the Nook 1st Edition (at least v1.7.0) WILL NOT LET YOU do a factory reset on a registered device.

Wulfraed wrote:

Typically, that should have been done by the original owner before pawning it.

I've never had to unregister mine so I don't know what it asks for -- I'd hope it wouldn't unregister without some confirmation (registered email at minimum, email and B&N account password more likely). Otherwise any one stealing a registered Nook could unregister and reregister it.

The Unregister command is under Settings/Device. (And the user guide is explicit that one needs to Unregister BEFORE using RESET to FACTORY).

Yep, that's exactly what a knowledgeable thief can do.  Fortunately, some thieves are no better at reading the manual than some owners.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

You are correct to emphasize that a factory reset should not be performed on a registered device.   However, the Nook 1st Edition (at least v1.7.0) WILL NOT LET YOU do a factory reset on a registered device.

I was not aware that was changed in the 1.6/1.7 update.

In prior versions you were able to do a factory reset while the device was registered and this led to problems with people buying pre-owned devices (stolen or not)  and not being able to register them.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

I was not aware that was changed in the 1.6/1.7 update.

In prior versions you were able to do a factory reset while the device was registered and this led to problems with people buying pre-owned devices (stolen or not)  and not being able to register them.

A factory reset of a registered Nook is still possible (via the "8 failed reboots" technique on the other Nooks), so the problem hasn't completely disappeared.

New User
Papa_DJ
0 Kudos

I have a situation where my father passed away and I am trying to register his nook in my name. His nook was originally password protected and I did the factory reset to even get into the system. Now that I've done that, I registered on the web site but when I try to register on the nook itself, it tells me that I need to re-register. I don't have any of my fathers other information so I can't begin to un-register his old account. I'm completely at a loss as to what to do at this point. I can't belive that BN didn't think of this contengency when they thought of this process in the beginning. I have a kindle, but I'd like to be able to use this one as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Papa_DJ wrote:

I have a situation where my father passed away and I am trying to register his nook in my name. His nook was originally password protected and I did the factory reset to even get into the system. Now that I've done that, I registered on the web site but when I try to register on the nook itself, it tells me that I need to re-register. I don't have any of my fathers other information so I can't begin to un-register his old account. I'm completely at a loss as to what to do at this point. I can't belive that BN didn't think of this contengency when they thought of this process in the beginning. I have a kindle, but I'd like to be able to use this one as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The only way to resolve your issue is with a call to customer service.

Explain the situation to them and they might be able to help you.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 20 members 211 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: