New User
BusyMomME
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Network Connection problems

I've been having this issue off and on since I got my Nook and have not been able to find any reference to something similar on Barnesandnoble.com or any other sites. 

I have a wireless router in my home which my Nook connects to with a strong signal. I can browes for and purchase new ebooks from my Nook, but many times when I go to download the books by clicking on the Check for new B&N content I get a "Network Unavailable" message.  What is going on?

Reader 4
Lisa_D_G
0 Kudos

Re: Network Connection problems

[ Edited ]

OMG!  I am having the exact same problem.  I bought my nook about a month ago, and I've purchased and downloaded several e-books from bn.com with no problems.  All of the sudden, I bought a new e-book last night and I haven't been able to get it to appear in my nook.  When I look for new b&n content, it says "network unavailable".  Barnes and Noble has already received my payment for the book because I just checked my bank account on-line, but I can't read my e-book!  VERY frustrated!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Lisa_D_G wrote:

OMG!  I am having the exact same problem.  I bought my nook about a month ago, and I've purchased and downloaded several e-books from bn.com with no problems.  All of the sudden, I bought a new e-book last night and I haven't been able to get it to appear in my nook.  When I look for new b&n content, it says "network unavailable".  Barnes and Noble has already received my payment for the book because I just checked my bank account on-line, but I can't read my e-book!  VERY frustrated!

Someone else in another post complained about not being able to download a book last night.  Maybe there was a problem on the B&N server.  Have you tried again?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Lisa_D_G,

If you are receiving a "Network unavailable" message try these steps:

On your NOOK:

Go to Settings, Device, Unregister. 

Then go to your online account and remove your default credit card and then add a default credit card (make sure that the card is up to date and valid and you have a default billing address saved).

On your NOOK:

Go to Settings, Device, and then re-register.

Finally, tap on Wifi and make sure that it is on.

Please let us know if your issue was resolved.

Reader 4
Lisa_D_G
0 Kudos

Thank you Michael.  My nook is re-registered and I finally got my book!  Yeah!  :smileyvery-happy:

New User
BusyMomME
0 Kudos

I tried what you suggested.  Click Unregister Nook then went to my account and set up a new default credit card info, went back to Nook to find the following error message:
Could not unregister

Could not connect.  Please confirm your network connection and try again or contact Customer Service at 1-800-the-book

Error c6120

I called customer service and after explaining what was going on and the above process, the gentleman asked if I had a password on our router.  No.  He stated that the Nook doesn't like to use none password protected accesses for connections.  Set up a password on the home network and try again.

This makes no sense to me.  If I can get on the beta browser and use the shop page, why wouldn't the Nook connect to the network?

Ironically, after all this I tried one last time to check for new B&N content and was able to download my books.  I should be set for this week..... I would still like to figure out what is causing this problem.

Contributor
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook for three weeks and just today for the first time, it's not picking up my home wireless router.  I know the router is working because there are laptops on it just fine.  I finally gave up and reset the router and it picked it up that time.  My wireless network does have a password on it and it did enter that password on the Nook the first time I put it on the network.

If anyone gets a definitive answer to why this is happening, I'd be delighted to know.

Correspondent
Cleos_Mum
0 Kudos

My Mom's nook has been having this problem for the last couple of days (probably since about Wednesday). Her nook is the 3G/Wi-Fi version, purchased about a month ago. Up until Wednesday, downloading gave her no issues.

Then she started getting these Network Unavailable issues - I had her do a hard boot and it seemed to straighten out her issue. But not sure if this is what fixed it or not.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“The greatest gift is a passion for reading.”
- Elizabeth Hardwick

New User
sparkey
0 Kudos

My wife and i bought a pair of Nooks today.  I have a fairly robust firewall and seperate WAP that is business class.  We could not get the nooks to connect through this system when we try to register them.  We are getting the c6120 error code.  

Does anyone know the port number or numbers that the nook uses?  i wanted to try to open up those specific ports...   unless someone knows what is going on.  this seems to be a big issue reading all the threads.  Tech support was not able to help at all, nice guys to talk to but ill equipped to handle these problems.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

sparkey wrote:

My wife and i bought a pair of Nooks today.  I have a fairly robust firewall and seperate WAP that is business class.  We could not get the nooks to connect through this system when we try to register them.  We are getting the c6120 error code.  

Does anyone know the port number or numbers that the nook uses?  i wanted to try to open up those specific ports...   unless someone knows what is going on.  this seems to be a big issue reading all the threads.  Tech support was not able to help at all, nice guys to talk to but ill equipped to handle these problems.

By any chance, is your router running 802.11n? If so, that is a problem as the nook only supports 802.11b/802.11g. Have you tried connecting to your wireless network with another device, such as a laptop? What are you using for wireless security - WEP, WPA,WPA2?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

sparkey wrote:

If your network is using WAP enterprise this will not work with the Nook. you will have to change it to WPA2.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

If you are receiving an 6120 error please do the following:

This should fix your connection issue:

1.  Tap on the WiFi tab.

2. Tap on the Wi-Fi hotspot

3.  Tap on the connected Wifi (the one that has the check mark)

4. Tap on Forget

5.  Reboot your NOOK (Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds.  Then hold down the power button for about 4 seconds to restart)

6.  Scan again for Wifi hotspots and then reconnect.

Please let me know if this worked for you...

Reader 4
Lisa_D_G
0 Kudos

I am SO totally done.  For the second time, I have spent the last day trying to download a book that I purchased yesterday.  No success.  Network unavailable, connection failed, disconnected, error c6120 and on and on.  I have rebooted.  I have tried to forget, unregister, you name it.  Nothing has worked.  So I finally gave up and called THE-BOOK, the "experts".  I was told to call Linksys, my router company, because there was basically nothing he could do to help me. 

Lesson learned?  I will NEVER buy another e-book from Barnes & Noble.  I will be borrowing them from my local library for FREE and side-loading them to my nook without any problems what so ever. 

VERY disappointed with the lack of support for this issue that is affecting MANY customers from the way this thread has been reviewed over and over again.

New User
budget
0 Kudos

And no this did not work either. Our home wifi network is working just fine for a host of phones, laptops and computers including a kindle! The nook is connected by its own status screen and the network router, you also can see it is accessing the internet but it just pukes on the return traffic it gets to its requests.

Nook seems to have been a bad product choice on my part. The best on a third call to BN tech support after waiting 45 minutes on hold - dead give-a-way - could offer is to return to the store and see if BN's own wifi network would let it register.

That not even being a sure thing is a bad sign. And this is the best solution they have to offer? At least they didn't ask me to connect to the neighbors un secured wifi network again.While I'm there not connecting the nook I'm sure my son's phone will connect to Amazon and buy be a kindle just fine.

New User
diggrguy
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem as described in this thread. I have been on the phone for hours over the last couple of days. First talking to B+N then my service provider. Both pointing fingers at each other. I finally got through to a tech with my ISP that knew more than what he could read off a troubleshooting guide, he told me that my NAT settings were probably incorrect. He told me to contact B+N to find out what ports the NOOK used to access a WiFi. The tech at B+N told me that only the development team had that access. I asked for an email from them, and was told they probably would not respond to me directly, and the tech I was speaking to didn't seem to be the least bit concerned. So if anyone needs that info don't bother waiting on hold for the 30 minutes it will take to get a tech. Just know that you CAN'T be helped!!!!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957

budget wrote:

The best on a third call to BN tech support after waiting 45 minutes on hold - dead give-a-way - could offer is to return to the store and see if BN's own wifi network would let it register.

That not even being a sure thing is a bad sign.

The long hold times are a result of the huge number of NOOK and NOOKcolor units that were presents on Christmas. There's no way that any customer service operation can handle the kind of load spike that will generate without long delays. In a month or so, everyone will have figured out how to use their gizmos (reading the manual would have helped, but nobody does that any more), and wait times will be a lot shorter.

The point of going to the store is to rule out the possibility that you got a bad NOOK. Bad units happen, and if your NOOK's Wi-Fi is non-functional there's no point in wasting more time trying to get it to talk to your own network.

I'm not sure why people think that B&N's Customer Service department should be experts on their personal Wi-Fi networks. They know NOOKs (and with the Christmas crush, most of them are probably just temps who got a quick training course), not the ins and outs of every Wi-Fi router model on every ISP in the US.

Which isn't to say that NOOK's Wi-Fi system couldn't be better. But blaming B&N Customer Service people for not being Wi-Fi uber-experts who can solve every problem over the phone is putting the blame in the wrong place. They didn't design the NOOK hardware and software, they didn't design your router, they didn't configure your router, they don't run your ISP, and there's no reason to expect them to be experts on any of those things, much less all of them.

Contributor
Lisar0228
0 Kudos

I think that Customer service is representing Barnes and Noble and clearly there is a problem when everyone except people who are very technically savvy and who dont mind spending hours getting a device to work are having issues.  Why is it ok to have a device that is impossible to connect without messing up every other device in your house because you have to change router settings. When I purchase an e-reader I want to plug it in and read the way I did with my Kindle 2 and my Nook classic.  When is Barnes and Noble going to take responsibility for this?  There seem to be more connectivity problems than anything else and I dont blame people for being frustrated.

New User
LindaB14
0 Kudos

After almost two months I eventually got my Nook connected to the internet through my Linksys wireless router.   I set up my library and downloaded two books.     After  a week or so I lost the connection.  In frustration I reset the Nook and lost everything including the books I bought.  In trying to reconnect, the Nook recognizes the network, says the signal strength is "excellent" and security is "open".  But when I try to connect it says "unable to connect"    Why?  And what can I do to get connected? 

Contributor
JavaCafe
0 Kudos

Have ANY of you folks been able to resolve this problem.  After 6 months of blissful, wonderful usage, my NOOK (non-color, non-3G) connects to my WiFi, but says Network unavailable!

I spent 4 hours on the phone with Tech Support, spoke with three different individuals, of whom one was about one-third as technically savvy as myself!  Tried, cold boots, Forget/Add, changed my WiFi to an unsecure connection, and then eventually forced my NOOK to do a "factory reset."

Now, I cannot register my NOOK.  I get the c6120 error.  I cannot believe this is happening to me. . . .   It feels almost as if this will end up like a bad affair.   :smileysad:

If any of you have a solution, please let me know.

Contributor
JavaCafe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

. . . Sorry.  Double post.  Pl. ignore.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:57 members 473 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: