Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Re: Network Connection problems

JavaCafe wrote:

Have ANY of you folks been able to resolve this problem.  After 6 months of blissful, wonderful usage, my NOOK (non-color, non-3G) connects to my WiFi, but says Network unavailable!

I spent 4 hours on the phone with Tech Support, spoke with three different individuals, of whom one was about one-third as technically savvy as myself!  Tried, cold boots, Forget/Add, changed my WiFi to an unsecure connection, and then eventually forced my NOOK to do a "factory reset."

Now, I cannot register my NOOK.  I get the c6120 error.  I cannot believe this is happening to me. . . .   It feels almost as if this will end up like a bad affair.   :smileysad:

If any of you have a solution, please let me know.

Things break.  Just ask cutomer service for a replacement, you will get a wonderful, brand new looking certified pre used device most likely (and I mean brand new looking), and you will be up and running. 

If you expect every single electronic device to work every single time then perhaps you are expecting a bit too much.  sh*t happens (infortunately).  Call B&N, tell them you just want a new one, wait 3-4 days or so and you will be back in business.  Easy Breezy

Contributor
JavaCafe
0 Kudos

@RSC_Nook:  Thank you so much for you reply.

I will be *delighted* if they do exchange it.  But, I bought this NOOK in Septamber 2010.  So, it has been just over six months that I have had it.  I did not buy any extended warratnty.  Will they still replace it. you think?  (I wouldn't mind a new-looking pre-certified unit, if they gave me one.  I have no NOOK now, and the withdrawal is exteremely painful.)

Anyhow, I will call up BN Tech Support now and (over the next several hours on the phone) and see if they an help me.

BTW, this URL, so far, has been the most revealing to me:  http://j.mp/f6NM9a .

Warm regards,  ~ JC.

Contributor
JavaCafe
0 Kudos

BN Support offered to send me a replacament, for which I am very appreciative.  I am hoping that the new unit will not have the same problem.  But, logic tells me that it, most likely, will.  :smileysad:

You see . . . my NOOK connect's fine with my WiFi, but cannot grab anything from the Internet.  It also connects with my neighbor's WiFi and, then it is able to grab content from the Internet.  So, the unit I have has a problem only with my WiFi.  Is my WiFi broken, then?  Not at all.  (I have one desk top, two laptops, and one smartphone -- al different brands -- using my WiFi without a hitch.)

This is a relatively rare issue, but if you search the Internet for "Nook error c6120" you will get tons of people who are struggling in the dark.  What is the problem then?  Most likely of all scenarios is that NOOK's software has a bug that prevents it from interpreting the DNS information from *some* (but not all DNS servers).

Here is a diagnosis from a technician, who -- I believe -- figured this out correctly: http://j.mp/f6NM9a .

:

I will let you know how my replacement NOOK does.

Thank you for reading this.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

I am pretty dumb when it comes to wi-fi stuff.  Mine seems to work with my laptop, xbox and now nook, so I just say 'thank goodness' and go on my day.  so unfortuantely I am the last to ask any tips for that

BUT I do want to say if you do get a repalcement it MAY be a certified pre owned.  if so don't freak out - there are TONS of posts on here (especially the general nook board you also posted on) about how the pre-owned look, smell, act etc like a brand new device.

I will go one further.  The nook I got for Christmas was brand new.  I loved it.  based on the comments from those on this place I decided to get my wife a used one though.  When it came I couldn't tell one ounce of difference.  coworker of mine got a certified pre owned one too.  and I got one for a cousin.  each of those, looked aweome, worked awesome.  SO... if they do send youa  certified pre owned I wouldn't worry too much (or at all really...) about it

by the end of the day unfortunately it just sounds like it is not the nook per say but the way the nook and wi fi talk to each other.  if worse comes to worse you could always just buy a cheap $20 (or maybe even less) router for just your nook, and even keep your other one for your heavy lifting devices.  I know that is not perfect, but eventually $15-$20 may be worth not wasting hours trying to figure this thing out.

Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

I was having problems connecting on either Sunday or Monday of this week.  The battery charge was about 48%, so I plugged it in, shut it off and rebooted, and then it was fine.  At this point, I would take your Nook to the store and tell them to fix it.

New User
Joeman073
0 Kudos

That is pure bullshit budget.  If you're going to sell something you'd better support it with competent technical help - even if it comes from an office in India who read from a script.  I hope B&N lose their ass on this one - they will get what they deserve.

This is something so basic.  Not having this part correct is completely unacceptable.  I would be willing to pay someone $5 to make it right.  I think I smell a business opportunity.

Reader 4
vbarco
0 Kudos

That worked for me.  I was having problems downlaoding to my Nookcolor the latest books in my library.  Rebooting and reconnecting to my network worked as you describe.

Only took a few tries to find the power button on the left side of the device.  I had never turned it off since getting the NC @ Xmas.

Otherwisw we love our 2 NCs.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Joeman073 wrote:

That is pure bullshit budget.  . . . . . . .   I think I smell a business opportunity.

snif, snif . . .  I think I smell something else  . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
poppabearCB
0 Kudos

Just purchased a Color Nook-Having problem logging on to my home rouiter network CB

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Need a lot more details to be able to help you, poppabearCB.

New User
partypoison
0 Kudos

I just got the all new nook today, brought it home and it just won't connect to my wifi at all. I also  have the nook color which will connect, then it'll drop after awhile. I really don't know what to do, i restarted the nook, turned it on and off, unplugged my wifi and tried it again and still nothing.

New User
Jeshie
0 Kudos

I got mine a week ago - the simple touch.  Everything worked fine up until about three days ago.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Everyone -

If you're coming here for help with your issue, please include the type of router you have (brand, b or g or n or mixed b/g, g/n/ b/g/n, 2.4ghz or 5ghz, etc.), what kind of security, and if you use MAC filtering.

If you're just coming to complain/commiserate, that's fine too, but if you want help you'll need to provide specifics.

New User
jemmymoss
0 Kudos

i tried what michael suggested and instead of fixing the problem, it erased all my books on my nook and it still says network connectivity unavailable!! :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
parKb5
0 Kudos

I've had my nook for about 2 years and never had a problem connecting to the network. Heck, I have the 3G version so I should HAVE to connect to my home wi-fi and lately I've been getting the message that I can't connect to the server, even though I can buy books fine on my nook and I have a solid connection according to the wifi signal.

Everytime I want to add a book to my library, I have to forget the wifi connection, reset my nook and then re add my wife connection and then it will STILL say that I can't connect to the network, but my new book will magically be in my library. I'm not sure what it going on anymore.

Eden
My first ebook is up for sale for only $0.99!
New User
jessie98
0 Kudos

This just happened to me and I did the same thing. Were you ever able to get it working again?

New User
cgp30428

I did this because my nook was having the same problems. Now all of my content is gone from my nook and it still says network unavailable when i check for new b and n content. what should i do?

New User
danohead
0 Kudos

Same issue here.  Have tried rebooting the nook (1e) several times.  Had it forget my wifi and tried over 3g, no dice.  Deregistered and reregistered, and all B&N content gone now.  Even downloaded and pushed to the B&N Library folder and couldn't get the new book to show up.

New User
Ravenswold
0 Kudos

I just started having this problem yesterday with my NOOK 1st Edition. WiFi works, but if I try to sync my books, I get a Network Connection error and don't download the books I bought. I spoke with someone at Customer Service and they said it was on their end and should be resolved within a few business days--but now after reading all this, I really begin to doubt that's the case.

Has anyone solved this yet?

New User
elektroangel
0 Kudos

I too have the sme problem! I just tried to get a book and it never appeared. I did a battery pull and nothing. So then I deregistered and reregistered my nook. Well now my entire library is gone from my nook. I can access it online and on my nook app on my phone. I did some hunting around and someone suggested a factory reset.... well I did that too and still I have no content on my nook.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 57 members 1,042 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: