Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Ravenswold
0 Kudos

Re: Network Connection problems

This JUST resolved late last night. I'll tell you what happened for me, and how you can read your book even if it doesn't work for you.

I did the same things you did, and none of it worked. Eventually, out of the blue, the network just started working again. Apparently it very much is on BN's end, and it's temporary and not something to worry about. If you're still having problems with it, call Customer Service, give them your serial #, and tell them you can't sync your nook with your online library. Looks like they fix it within 3 days after all.

Until then, hook up your nook to you computer. Go to your online library, select the book you want to read, and click "download." Save it to your nook, but NOT in the "my B&N downloads" folder. Save it in the "my documents" folder. You can then disconnect your Nook when it's finished downloading.

Once you're back in your Nook library, select the option to view your documents instead, and the book should be available there for you to read. This should hold you over until you can sync with your online library again!

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I would add one step.  When you are done downloading your book to your Nook, launch Windows Explorer and right-click on the drive labeled Nook, and Eject it, before you unplug it.  If you just pull the cord without doing the Eject first, sometimes the Nook can't see the newly downloaded book, and you end up having to restart the Nook before it becomes visible.

This seems to apply to all the Nooks, not just the First Edition.

New User
pgOH
0 Kudos

Nice.  I followed these instructions and now have an empty Nook.  Thanks for the crummy help.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

pgOH wrote:

Nice.  I followed these instructions and now have an empty Nook.  Thanks for the crummy help.

When the thread contains multiple replys with mutually exclusive procedures it's not possible to understand which forum member's procedure isn't providing the results you desire. Besides, its hardly the other forum member's fault if B&N's eBook servers or the firmware B&N has supplied for you device is malfunctioning.

Do you have a Windows or Macintosh computer with an Internet connection? Do you have a micro SD card for your Nook? Have you tried downloading your B&N eBook purchases with a B&N reader application running on a computer and using your computer's file management application to copy the eBooks to the My Documents folder or the add on micro SD card in your Nook?

Reader
Luv2ReadVA
0 Kudos

RSC_Nook wrote:

Things break.  Just ask cutomer service for a replacement, you will get a wonderful, brand new looking certified pre used device most likely (and I mean brand new looking), and you will be up and running. 

If you expect every single electronic device to work every single time then perhaps you are expecting a bit too much.  sh*t happens (infortunately).  Call B&N, tell them you just want a new one, wait 3-4 days or so and you will be back in business.  Easy Breezy

BULL!!!!!  I am on my second brand new looking certified pre used device and things are not all EASY BREEZY.  I am very upset and disappointed with B &  N.  I didn't get an ereader so that I can go into their store to connect and download books.  I want to be able to connect in the comfort of my own home.  Since the network issue seems to be a large issue, B&N should be looking into a resultion.  Especially since majority of the people had connections before and then all of a sudden ended up without one.  I am all for things break and that is understandable, but when I spend $250 dollars I wan't more than 6 months of a use and a run around instead of a fix or solution.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Luv2ReadVA wrote:

I am on my second brand new looking certified pre used device

So, you're not using the NOOK First Edition. Complaining that your situation isn't helped by what someone said 1-1/2 years ago, about a different device, seems rather pointless.

This forum is for the NOOK 1e... the one with two screens: a B&W E-Ink screen and a separate touch color LCD located below it. You might want to check the main forum menu and locate the forums for the device that you own.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Luv2ReadVA wrote:

I am on my second brand new looking certified pre used device

So, you're not using the NOOK First Edition. Complaining that your situation isn't helped by what someone said 1-1/2 years ago, about a different device, seems rather pointless.

This forum is for the NOOK 1e... the one with two screens: a B&W E-Ink screen and a separate touch color LCD located below it. You might want to check the main forum menu and locate the forums for the device that you own.

Luv2ReadVA said they spent $250 on the device - that sounds like the N1E to me.  But... it's been almost a year since the N1E went EOD, and it's been at least two years since the N1E was selling at $250, so something isn't quite adding up.

Reader 4
NCLknfan
0 Kudos

I had the same issue, but it seems to clear up the more I use my nook.
Contributor
saltgirl
0 Kudos

I have a Nook 1st Edition purchased in 2010.  I love it; however this year it began frequently freezing as I read.  I cannot turn the page without rebooting.  I tried airplane mode which didn't help much.  It's very annoying as rebooting takes a minute or two, only to have the nook freeze again five minutes later.  I also began having the "no network" message when I attempt to download a new purchase.  I just try over and over again for several days until it downloads.  The purchase always shows up immediately on my phone and IPad, so it is a Nook issue.  Reading these forums tells me that this has been an issue for at least two years with no resolution on BN's end.  I'm tired of the implication that this is such an old device; I've only had it 2.5 years!  It is still usable, just annoying.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 56 members 766 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: