Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

New Nook today, more questions

Battery questions: I read that it does NOT charge while turned off. Check. But is it a good idea to just leave it charging when not in use/sleeping? Or should I let the battery run out completely before re-charging?

I have been on the nook-look page, love the screen savers and wall paper. Is it possible to get a Nook virus when downloading things like this?

I have downloaded a library book. I don't anticipate it being an issue, but believe I read somewhere that if I don't sync with the computer, I will NOT lose it at the end of the 2 week loan period? Is this true, or did I imagine this? 

Any other tips or suggestions appreciated. Eight hours in and loving my Nook! I have been "collecting" free books for weeks and adding library books to my wish list online, in anticipation of getting the device, so have lots of reading to do. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook today, more questions

[ Edited ]

In general, Lithium-Ion batteries like to be kept charged up. However, since you have just gotten your NOOK it would probably help to let it run down to the point where it tells you to charge it the first few times.

Your NOOK is safe from viruses as long as you don't softroot it. (Not that there are any known NOOK viruses, and there's really no reason for anybody to create one.)

Your library e-book will expire on the specified date. However, the expiration is only checked when you open the e-book. If you leave it open, don't turn NOOK off (just let it sleep), and don't switch to anything else on your NOOK, you should be able to keep reading it.

Other tips: see the links in my signature, especially the first one.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

I wouldn't recommend you ever let your Nooks battery complete deplete.  Some people have had issues trying to get them to recharge when the battery is drained completely.  When it warns you that it needs to be charged, I'd suggest charging it pretty soon after that.

As far as a screen saver/wallpaper virus I wouldn't worry.  If all you are uploading to your Nook are graphics (jpg, gif, etc.) you have nothing to worry about.

For the library books, I have also read people stating that they were able to keep books longer by not connecting their Nooks.  In my experience this is not true.  All of my books expire on the day they are set to expire regardless of anything I do or don't do.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Just to add one more 2 cents worth, these kinds of batteries can be damaged when they are deep discharged. Also, they lose maximum capacity faster when they are fully charged. Thus keeping them charged up in general is fine. But if you need to store your Nook for some length of time, it is better off powered off with a mid-level charge.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

With regards to setting "high and low battery levels"; our developers have provided these charging recommendations to maximize battery life. 

*Partially discharge the battery rather than fully discharging it. For example, charge your NOOK when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns off itself. 

Avoid high temperatures if possible for use and storage
*charge the battery half way before storing your NOOK for a week or 
more. 
*Turn your NOOK off for storage. If you are going to store your NOOK for
more than a week, turn it off. 

You can leave the device plugged in, and it won’t ruin the battery. Allowing the battery to discharge and then fully charge from time to time will extend the overall length of the battery.  However, this won’t be noticed until after several charges.

The NOOK's battery is designed to restrict power once fully charged; this feature allows the user to leave the device charging unsupervised. The orange light indicator (located at the bottom of the device) will turn off when the NOOK is fully charged; also restricting the power source.

To extend reading time battery life...

Update the NOOK to the latest software version.

Turn off the Wi-Fi.

Turn on the Airplane Mode which turns off the 3G antennae.

Set the Color Touchscreen to the shortest time available, 10 seconds.

Set the Color Touchscreen brightness to the lowest comfortable level.

Avoid using the Color Touchscreen.

Turn off the NOOK each night when not being read by pressing the power button for seven seconds.

Charge the NOOK when convenient via a computer USB port or a wall outlet.  The NOOK can be read while charging.  Leave the NOOK in Sleep Mode while charging while not reading.  A NOOK can't be overcharged.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Doug_Pardee wrote:

In general, Lithium-Ion batteries like to be kept charged up. However, since you have just gotten your NOOK it would probably help to let it run down to the point where it tells you to charge it the first few times.

Your NOOK is safe from viruses as long as you don't softroot it. (Not that there are any known NOOK viruses, and there's really no reason for anybody to create one.)

Your library e-book will expire on the specified date. However, the expiration is only checked when you open the e-book. If you leave it open, don't turn NOOK off (just let it sleep), and don't switch to anything else on your NOOK, you should be able to keep reading it.

Other tips: see the links in my signature, especially the first one.

Thanks Doug, I had actually read your "Tips" earlier in the week, because I was getting so excited about getting my nook (and at that point I thought I had to wait two more weeks!)

There is one problem I seem to be having, which I imagine is something I've done wrong. When the device is plugged into my computer, the screen says if I want to still use my nook AND continue charging, to eject or unmount the device.  I went to the "safely remove hardware and eject media" and chose eject for the nook. I still have the same screen with the same message about ejecting to use it and continue charging. 

Not a huge big deal, I just can't read it while it is plugged into the computer. Not sure I *need* to, but it appears I should be *able* to?

Edit: I have also tried the power button on top after ejecting the nook from my computer. 

LisaB

Wordsmith
gandalf1369

LisaB,

Probably the easiest way to to it is to 1) double click "My Computer" (assuming you are using Windows); 2) right click on the icon that represents your nook; 3) choose "Eject" from the menu you get after right clicking.

You should see the e-ink screen change to a normal display and you should be able to choose whatever book you want to read.

Hope this helps a bit . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

gandalf1369 wrote:

LisaB,

Probably the easiest way to to it is to 1) double click "My Computer" (assuming you are using Windows); 2) right click on the icon that represents your nook; 3) choose "Eject" from the menu you get after right clicking.

You should see the e-ink screen change to a normal display and you should be able to choose whatever book you want to read.

Hope this helps a bit . . .

Thanks, that did work! 
LisaB

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 692 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: