Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
cjeane01
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook touch screen stops working

[ Edited ]

My problem was a little different.  It would freeze at the screen save and when I hit the lower Nook button, it wanted me to do the lower screen slide to the right to unlock.  However, it would never respond to that step.  I tried to take off the back cover.  Big mistake. All the electronics were under that cover, not another cover with access to the battery.  I ruined the Power button, so I think I'm screwed.  I'm going to try and take it by the local store to see if they will work with me.

Reader
Coolsiggy
0 Kudos

Well I've had a Nook Touch for a few months now and have installed all firmware updates hoping the screen lockup would be fixed by firmware. I have worked in IT + hardware for many years...., after a high degree of frustration I am fairly certain the problem is with the touch screen layer that senses the press action, this layer is either failing or the circuitry that supports the layer is at fault. I've noticed that prolonging the press and/or rocking your finger will sometimes cause the action to respond (need small fingers)..., hit and miss at best. I resided outside the USA so a BN store replacement is not an option. My fix was to buy a cheap as nails Kindle 4, with Ereaders I think the KISS principle is valid... keep it simple stupi...

P.S. I also suspect that storing the Nook with even a light object in contact with the screen may may drain the battery.

Reader
Coolsiggy
0 Kudos

I need to say that after posting my comments above ... see previous post, I prevailed further with another (5) deregister-reset followed by a another firmware 1.1.0 install and using a rather light finger touch action the Nook now seems to behave OK. The Nook is my wife's reader and now I'm beginning to think that a degree of frustration and hard touch actions can be a major problem for users, in so much as that continued hard touch actions may cause a lockup and saturation of the command interface. We now have gone 24 hrs with no problems other than a word highlight instead of a page turn on occasion, life is never perfect.

New User
FranW
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem, with the touch screen freezing several times a day.  This will happen when it's sitting and has gone into sleep mode, and when I'm actively using it. I can't even turn it off because that requires pressing the shut-down button on the touch screen.

My Nook is brand new and it's been doing this right from the first day.  As I'm living overseas I can't go into a B&N for advice or a replacement.  What do I do?

New User
vbsb
0 Kudos

Yep, me too. Call support and they had me erase the unit and register it again. Worked for about 1 hr and started all over again. This is a 1-day old unit and very frustrating.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this problem? Or, is Kindle the answer?

New User
FranW
0 Kudos

Since returning mine (or even calling B&N for help) wasn't an option as I'm on the other side of the planet, I just persevered and kept using it.  After about a week, I noticed that it took an hour or two for the touch screen to lock up, instead of ten or twenty minutes.  And then for the last two days I've been able to use it nonstop without it locking up at all.  So, fingers crossed, maybe the problem has sorted itself and it just needed to be kind of "broke in" like a new car engine?

New User
ColleenReads
0 Kudos

I fixed it!!

I had this same problem on my nook Color.

Here is how I fixed it:

Press the power button to turn it off normally. Once it's off, hold down the power button and the n button simultaneously until it reboots (it will take several seconds). It will turn completely off, and when you turn it on again it will go through all the original pages from when you turned it on for the first time when you got it.You will not lose your books/data/etc. either!

New User
FranW
0 Kudos

Re: I fixed it!!

Thanks for that idea, Colleen! 

I don't know if it would work on my unit (not a color Nook) but I can't test it, because rebooting would take me back to the original settings.  That means I could not use the Nook at all for anything until I register it (again) with B&N, which I simply cannot do because I am currently living overseas.  B&N will not register a Nook unless the reg info is coming from a US based IP address. I don't expect to be back in the US for a couple of years.

Had I known how stupidly US-centric the Nook is, and that I would have to maintain a credit card with a US billing address if I wanted to continue to buy ebooks from B&N after I moved overseas, I would never have got the Nook in the first place.  A Sony ereader would have been a billion times better, and it's the ereader I would recommend to anyone who ever plans to spend any time outside of the US.  My Nook is behaving better now, and only locks up maybe once or twice a day, but even if it worked perfectly it's a very bad choice for anyone who travels or works overseas.

New User
pthras
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem.

I have to reset it more than once in an hour.

I called the help line and they reset it all from there

on Tuesday and it worked fine until Thursday and

it started all of the same problems again.

Very frustrating!  I hope they will have a better

answer today when I call

New User
TadaBC
0 Kudos

I seem to have this problem every time I take my Simple Touch on a trip, and it's intensely frustrating. It doesn't have anything to do with battery charge and if I reset it multiple times sooner or later it startes working, but sometimes take more than an hour of trying (on and off). My son uses t at home all the time and has never complained, but it happened to me first in January in New Orleans and now repeated in February in the middle east. Maybe there's something to do with low relative humidity (via AC environment) and the ability for the screen to register touch, but I've found no other consistent factor. It seems to be epidemic. My wife's Nook Color has never had the problem.

New User
KittyXlove321
0 Kudos

I have had my nook since dec 2011 and its been working fine until about 2 months ago. i thought it might have been this one book i downloaded cause thats when the problems started i called customer support they told me the reboot so i did. It worked for about 30 mins then the problems started AGAIN so i called about they told me to shut it off and on worked for 10 mins then stopped I went on the chat thing on here and he told me to reboot the software so i did NOTHING is working.  and i tried going back to the chat and they were closed!!!!! what the hell!!!!! what are we lab mices that they give their broken produce to us!!!!! aughhh! Someone PLEASE help!! im about to go crazy!:catmad:

KittyKat3
Wordsmith
ProfReader

KittyXlove321 wrote:

I have had my nook since dec 2011 and its been working fine until about 2 months ago. i thought it might have been this one book i downloaded cause thats when the problems started i called customer support they told me the reboot so i did. It worked for about 30 mins then the problems started AGAIN so i called about they told me to shut it off and on worked for 10 mins then stopped I went on the chat thing on here and he told me to reboot the software so i did NOTHING is working.  and i tried going back to the chat and they were closed!!!!! what the hell!!!!! what are we lab mices that they give their broken produce to us!!!!! aughhh! Someone PLEASE help!! im about to go crazy!:catmad:

Have you tried cleaning around the edge of the screen. The Nook Touch uses infared to detect where you are touching the screen. Dust, hair  and dirt can interfere withe the infared beam and not allow it to work.

New User
nemo13
0 Kudos

to amlane52- i thought the same thing about the protector so i peeled it back and tried but that didnt help.  so with or without the screen protector it is still a problem. i got my nook for xmas and today is the first time i had this problem, so i guess i have been lucky till now.

New User
nemo13
0 Kudos

to detayls- i unfortunately waited a month and a half before putting on my screen protector and in that time managed to get a 3/4 inch scratch on the screen.  i finally put one on (the cheap one that comes 2 to a pack for $5.88 in walmart instead of $20 for one from B&N) and no more scratches for me.  i wouldnt go w/o one again.  and as for the sensitivity it hasnt changed a bit since adding the protector.  the other day i couldnt figure out why a word highlighted when my fingers werent on the screen only to find a tiny piece of fuzz had landed on that word, so it is still super sensitive.

Contributor
thekidsmom1224

ProfReader--thank you SOOOO much for the tip re: cleaning the edges of the touchscreen with a q-tip. After dampening a q-tip and running it around the edges 3 times, my daughter's NOOK began working again. You saved the day! My 12 year old was about to have a complete melt-down!

I did show her the pencil lead that the q-tip pulled out from under the lip of the edge and reminded her that I bought her a case to keep the nook protected. Maybe she should use it.  :smileyhappy: 

New User
Emma1Frost
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook Simple Touch for a long time (at least nine months, if not longer), and this suddenly started happening just this week. I read through almost this entire thread and looked at all the suggestions. I was not going to send in for a replacement or try to get it repaired. I also hoped it wasn't a firmware update needed.

I tried reinstalling the latest firmware and also force-rebooting the device.

What ended up helping was honestly taking a very slightly damp tissue and just wiping down the screen and edges.

It was a dirty Nook that dulled the touchscreen sensitivity!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Emma1Frost wrote:

I've had my Nook Simple Touch for a long time (at least nine months, if not longer), and this suddenly started happening just this week. I read through almost this entire thread and looked at all the suggestions. I was not going to send in for a replacement or try to get it repaired. I also hoped it wasn't a firmware update needed.

I tried reinstalling the latest firmware and also force-rebooting the device.

What ended up helping was honestly taking a very slightly damp tissue and just wiping down the screen and edges.

It was a dirty Nook that dulled the touchscreen sensitivity!

I believe that most of the issues are related to a dirty screen. This should be made clear to all simple touch owners. 

New User
ducopdep
0 Kudos

There is no problem with dirty screen, i think. I bought by NSTwGL 05/10/2012 and from the first run I've got the same problem, but only lower part of sensor did not work at first run of the book.

I could open service menu(because it opens by swiping in the upper part of sensor and it works perfect), but couldn't start hardware test, because "HW test" button is in the bottom.

I powered on/off book for a dozens times, and suddenly i found, that i could click "NEXT" button!
Next screen was licence agreement, where i noticed strange phenomen: button "Agree" puts me to the previous page of agreement, button "Decline" - to the next. I couldn't make anything to accept this agreement and i restarted the book. Lower part of sensor stopped to work again. I tried for some times again, but magic did not return and I put it on the shelve into her box.

After weekends(today, 8/10/2012) i desided to return book to the reseller, turned it at work to show my teammates my problem, but sensor unfortunetly started to work and works for a whole day long without troubles.

I don't want to return this book, if, of course, problem would not return.
I hope it was software problem.
New User
MD28
0 Kudos

I received my Nook Simple Touch Reader as a Christmas gift and activated it on Saturday. I am already having issues.
The touch screen is not responsive and rebooting it has done nothing to fix it. I have tried several times.

This is frustrating. Has anyone had luck with exchanging it and having no further issues?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

MD28 wrote:

I received my Nook Simple Touch Reader as a Christmas gift and activated it on Saturday. I am already having issues.
The touch screen is not responsive and rebooting it has done nothing to fix it. I have tried several times.

This is frustrating. Has anyone had luck with exchanging it and having no further issues?

This screen uses infared beams that are projected from the inside edge. You need to make sure that the screen and iside edges are kept nice and clean. A dust particle can block the beam and make it unresponsive.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 29 members 269 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: