Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
slydog
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook touch screen stops working

[ Edited ]

I don't have wifi at home (yet) so I have that turned off and have been reading sideloaded books from my library. I've had the screen freeze 3 or 4 times just like you describe. So, no connectivity issues are involved with me. I have to do a soft reset to continue on. This is obviously a glitch in the software that I'm sure will be fixed in later updates. It is clearly not hardware related and exchanging it won't solve anything. It doesn't happen often enough to be a big problem and I love this nook 2 (or is it 3?).

New User
WebheadX
0 Kudos

My Nook touch is experiencing the same problem. This is very frustrating. Not sure if I should exchange or just get my money back. Got this as a gift for Father's day. It is a nice device but this is a major bug. This bug is real and I suggest B&N come up with a quick fix or face a landslide of returns. Holding the power button down for 20 sec for a hard reboot will reset the device, but it seems the touch functions don't work well after the first lockup. Anyone else feel the pain? :smileysad:

New User
sp0gg
0 Kudos

I've had this same problem since the day I bought my first Nook Simple Touch. I finally decided to exchange it this afternoon and it didn't go very well. Even though my Nook was within return policy, the associate began to tell me that I would have to call a 1-800 number and send in my Nook to be repaired. I had to remind her that I had just bought my Nook a week ago. She then called a manager to begin the exchange.

The manager was not friendly at all. First she tried to convince me that the problem was due to my operation and not the device itself. Taking offense, I decided to return the Nook altogether and forget the exchange. A 14-day return policy is terrible. This made her even angrier and she copped a terrible attitude with me.

After returning the Nook to B&N I went across the street to Best Buy to buy another e-reader to hold me over until BB had the Simple Touch in stock. Luckily when I got there, my BB had the Simple Touch! They didn't have it last week.

Anyway, there is definitely a new version of the Simple Touch out. The rubber front has more of a grip to it, and there are several new menu options which were not previously available on the old ST.

In addition to that, Best Buy has a **FAR SUPERIOR** return policy compared to B&N.

I haven't experienced the touch screen issue yet, but I've only been reading for 30 minutes so far. I'll report back with my experience once I've done more reading.

New User
WebheadX
0 Kudos

Decided to get my money back. I thank B&N, they gave me no hassle and treated me respectfully. My wife was angry at me thinking I did not like the Nook simple touch as she had given it to me as a gift (owned for 6 days before this issue). Hopefully B&N can sort this one out. I was not willing to gamble $139.00; especially when the device becomes unusable. Even the hard reset (holding power button down for 20 + sec) would not respond. Thanks again B&N for their understanding. I wish them luck with their new device. :smileywink:

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

I'm on my second N2E. I've had it a little over a week now and it gave me the highlight and crash problem yesterday. I have a tendency to tap the edges of the screen over using the buttons or swiping, which is what happened when this error occurred. I'll make up my mind today on whether or not to take this one back. To sp0gg: You say that the one you picked up from Best Buy has some different menu items. What are they?
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

JohnMO wrote:

So it is possible the problem is not prevalent in every Nook Simple Touch Reader.  Until B&N identifies the problem (software or hardware), I offer this suggestion: If yours is giving you fits, take it back to the store and demand a replacement.  The new one may have the same problem; or if your experience is like mine, the replacement may work fine.

This problem isn definitely NOT an issue that every nook has.  It just looks that way in this thread as the people who aren't having issues (like me and a lot of others on the boards) have no reason to post in this thread.

For everyone seeing this issue - return your nook and get a new one.  This is not normal behaviour for the device.

Reader 2
scoobiepop
0 Kudos

I would, but I am outside the 14 day return/exchange window. I am still waiting for a response from anyone from Barnes and Noble, I guess I will try calling customer service in the morning. It seems ridiculous that I might have to pay shipping to send in an obviously defective item while they try to figure out what is going on with no guarantee that any replacement ones won't exhibit the exact same problems.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

scoobiepop wrote:
I would, but I am outside the 14 day return/exchange window. I am still waiting for a response from anyone from Barnes and Noble, I guess I will try calling customer service in the morning. It seems ridiculous that I might have to pay shipping to send in an obviously defective item while they try to figure out what is going on with no guarantee that any replacement ones won't exhibit the exact same problems.

The 14 day return/exchange window is if you just decided you don't want the item.  If you have a defective Nook and bought it from a B&N store recently, I'd still take it in and let them troubleshoot for you.  If they find it's defective, they may replace it on the spot.  

Otherwise, if you have to send it in, I don't believe (although I don't know for sure) you have to pay for the shipping.  Call CS and see what they say.  When people have a defective nook, they usually give their credit card number to CS (to make sure the broken nook gets returned).  B&N will send out a new unit and when that is received and confirmed that it's working, the defective unit gets returned.  

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

scoobiepop wrote:

The 14 day return/exchange window is if you just decided you don't want the item.  If you have a defective Nook and bought it from a B&N store recently, I'd still take it in and let them troubleshoot for you.  If they find it's defective, they may replace it on the spot.  

Otherwise, if you have to send it in, I don't believe (although I don't know for sure) you have to pay for the shipping.  Call CS and see what they say.  When people have a defective nook, they usually give their credit card number to CS (to make sure the broken nook gets returned).  B&N will send out a new unit and when that is received and confirmed that it's working, the defective unit gets returned.  

They will not charge you shipping. They will give you an RMA and the shipping is prepaid.

New User
bells_theorem
0 Kudos

My nook 2 also freezes. It's the swiping that does it. If i try to swipe the screen for page forward or back, it'll probably freeze. If i just tap the left or right side to go back/forwards one page it's OK. I don't have that many books yet, but the freezing happens quite reliably on a book i converted from pdf to epub using calibre (because the original PDF would only show the first page in nook and kindle and all other pages were blank).

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

The only time I have had any freezing up issues, if I just gave the Nook a little time, it seemed to resolve itself.  I see this most frequently with a lot of fast page turns or with pages with a lot of graphics.  Possibly the processor is getting swamped or more likely, the amount of processing memory is insufficient.  Since there is no way to increase the "RAM" of the Nook, I am not sure what a work around might be. 

Reader 2
Noncomposmentes
0 Kudos

I called Nook tech support this morning about my N2E doing the highlighting bug. I got the impression that the tech had heard about it before. In any event, he was very courteous and had me erase and deregister the device, then re-register it. I then reloaded all of my book. So far, I've read about 100 pages from two different books and the screen has yet to freeze on me. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The tech did mention that it was probably a software issue and said B&N was currently working on an update, but didn't mention when the update might be available. He also mentioned several times that my N2E was fully covered for a year, and if I did have further issues, don't hesitate to call and they would resolve the problem one way or another. All in all, the tech support call was a very positive experience.

So I've decided, even if my N2E again experiences the freezing issue, that I'm going to hold on to it at least until B&N issues a software issue. If that doesn't resolve the problem (assuming the problem actually returns, that is), then I'll probably push B&N for a replacement. I really do like the N2E and feel that it is the best ereader currently on the market. So, here's hoping.

Reader 2
AmblerJP
0 Kudos

I have also had this issue, first time after 2 weeks of use.  The touch screen quit, but the hardware buttons worked fine.  It worked OK after a re-boot.

Saw this article on the WSJ site today; scroll down and there is a section talking about this problem, with an expected software update in the near future.

WSJ Story

http://tinyurl.com/3nkz9bd

Contributor
ReadTilYouDrop
0 Kudos

Add me to the list of non-working touch screens.  It has not crashed on my but will not respond unless it's reset.  VERY annoying!  I hope they push this update out soon!

Class of "I waited for MOST bugs to be worked out"
New User
Comma
0 Kudos

I bought the Simple Touch Nook at the end of June. This happened to me once. I wasn't doing anything with it prior to the touch screen not working. I took the Nook out, woke it up and it wasn't working. I turned it off by holding the power button down until it shut down and turned it back on. Seems to be working okay now. I hope it doesn't happen again. At the time I think my battery was around 60-70%. Can't remember exactly.

New User
Lufelia
0 Kudos

My Nook STR seems pretty borked. I've had it for a couple weeks now and I found the touch screen not registering a few days ago when I went to unlock it. I've tried charging it to full, turning it off, resetting; nothing works. I'm going to the store I bought it in to see if they know what to do, probably get an exchange. I'm pretty disheartened to see how many other people are also having a similar problem. If my 14 days weren't already up, I'd be making a return instead of an exchange. It's extremely disappointing for a product to be shipped with such a huge bug on so many devices.

New User
Lufelia
0 Kudos

As an update to the above, I took it to the store several days ago to have it checked out. They couldn't get it to work, so they let me exchange it for a new one at the store, easy peasy. It's been working fine so far and I'm pretty pleased with the customer service.

Now I'm just hoping that update rolls out soon before it has a chance to happen again.

New User
Kevin_Nook_621
0 Kudos

Tonight my new nook touch screen stopped working.  I loved this feature about the Nook and I cannot navigate without it.  I can use the page forward/backward button but I still need the touch screen to work it.  Does anyone know the return policy since it was a birthday gift to me?  I received it on July 3, brand new.

New User
Kevin_Nook_621
0 Kudos

Thanks for the post.  I will go take my in if the touch screen does not come back on

Contributor
cmessmore
0 Kudos

Mine just froze up and it was @ 95% charged.   I've had mine since this version 1st came out ( can't remember now when that was).    I held the power button down ,   it seemed to restart all by itself.    Hope this was a one time thing.     I like the Nook Color I have, but the battery life is awful.  It has to be recharged almost every time I use it.  

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 76 members 1,138 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: