Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
MaryD056
0 Kudos

New User - Touchpad Question

Hi all,

I'm a new Nook user so I'll apologize in advance in case you've seen this questions a million times before.

I've noticed that the touchscreen on my Nook has little pauses, freezes, and skips so that oftentimes when I think I've selected something, something else pops up because the screen doesn't seem to keep up.  This happens all the time, even when I know I'm moving through the touch screen slowly.l

If I want to skim through book covers, it takes a long time for the covers to appear, and then scrolling through them causes the same skips, little freezes, etc., etc.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: New User - Touchpad Question

@MaryD056

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

You probably aren't doing a thing wrong.  The Nook touchscreen is not particularly responsive, and it takes a little time and practice to get it's "rhythm" right.  Especially if you're used to a smartphone, people here report that you'll find the Nook screen sluggish.

If you don't find it improving, or if it really is an annoyance, definitely give Customer Service (Option 2, Digital Support) a call and discuss it with them.  But it sounds to me like you're doing fine. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

E ink is slower than the touch pad, so the nook has to wait for the e-ink to catch up.

Also, bear in mind this is a pretty slow processor in the nook, (it doesn't have to be fast, its designed to save battery), and some operations take a while.

With reading, you never notice this, but its easy to get ahead of the processor, and get your taps "stacked up" unless you let if finish one task at a time.

If your is substantially slower than what is shown in videos you might have a problem.  But I suspect you were expecting Smartphone performance from a device designed around a different set of criteria.

Frequent Contributor
jdarnold
0 Kudos

The pauses for book covers are just the nook taking time to download the covers from bn.com. How fast this is would depend on what kind of connection you have to the 'net. Is it wifi or 3g? If it is 3g, which of the various flavors is it and how fast is that?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Nook covers are stored locally.  

Otherwise, you couldn't use it in airplane mode.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 275 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: